Venison Ring Sausage

MossyMO

Mixed 50/50 of ground venison/pork butt with cure for some Maple, Stadium, Bacon Ranch, Italian, Country Style, German Bologna and Kielbasa and stuffed into 32-35mm fresh hog casings for some ring sausage. Smoked with oak/hickory/cherry with the maze smoke generator, 1 hour no smoke, 1 hour at 110º  with smoke, and 2 more hours at 130º with smoke for a little more color to the casing. This was a total of 35 pounds, each flavor was done in 5 pound batches and yielded about 8 vacuum sealed packages per flavor.

Maple, Stadium, Bacon Ranch and Italian ring sausage just into the smoker.

g5YlEw.jpg
-----

Maple, Stadium, Bacon Ranch and Italian ring sausage just before coming out of the smoker.

clLKMo.jpg
-----

Country Style, German Bologna and Kielbasa ring sausage just into the smoker.

DtRU8n.jpg
-----

Country Style, German Bologna and Kielbasa ring sausage just before coming out of the smoker.

fvQj3G.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That looks great. Is the cabinet smoker something you made?

Use to be a 7' commercial stainless fridge that I converted to a smoker that is propane powered, thermostatically controlled with electronic pilot light and use a smoke generator with wood pellets for smoke.  Made it into a smoker 12 or 13 years ago, been a good one for us!

If you only smoke at 130 degrees, does that make the sausage warm enough to take care of botulism? Everything I have read says to smoke to 152 degrees? I am sure you have been doing this for many years so I am just curious.

If you only smoke at 130 degrees, does that make the sausage warm enough to take care of botulism? Everything I have read says to smoke to 152 degrees? I am sure you have been doing this for many years so I am just curious.

There was a cure added to them to allow us to smoke at those low temps and be food safe.  The sausage is not fully cooked when they come out of the smoker (you can not eat it right from the smoker).  They get packaged and into the freezer from the smoker. We have been doing it this way for years and really like the results.  When we put them on the grill or in a pan to cook that is when we make sure they get up to 155° internal temp.