John Setzler

Resources for the Artisan Bread Baker

Hey guys... I just wanted to create a list of stuff that can be nice to have for your bread baking interests.  I have been collecting some of this stuff as I get ready to ramp up my own bread game...

The Bookshelf:

Flour Water Salt Yeast - by Ken Forkish

The Elements of Pizza - by Ken Forkish

Tartine Bread - by Chad Robertson

The Bread Baker's Apprentice - by Peter Reinhart

Josey Baker Bread - by Josey Baker

Scales:

Weighing your ingredients for bread baking is much more accurate than using volume measures.  1 cup of flour will vary quite a bit in weight from one type or grind of flour to the next.  Different types of salt weight different amounts for the same volume measure also... your best bet is weighing stuff!

Oxo Digital Scale with pull-out Display - $49.95

I purchased one of these and I'm very happy with it so far for two reasons.  1 - the display will pull away from the scale so if you have a larger container on the scale ou can still see the display nicely.  2 - it doesn't time out very quickly -  this is nice when you are adding ingredients slowly because its a pain in the rear when the scale shuts off and you haven't finished adding your ingredients

Etekcity Digital Stainless Kitchen Scale - $12.99 

I have one of these also and it works well, but the timeout is quicker and you can't set a very large container on it and still see the digital display.  If you work within its iimitations, this is a good choice of scales for the price.

American Weigh 100g x 0.01g Digital Scale - $8.75

100g calibration weight for above scale - $2.25

This is a perfect scale for weighing small amounts of yeast accurately.  I happened to have this already from my homebrewing hobby as I used it to measure small amounts of hops...

Other kitchen scales to choose from...

Mixing Tubs:

Cambro Round Polycarbonate 12 quart Mixing Tub - $27.05

Polycarbonate Lid - $12.94

Cambro Round Polypropylene 12 quart Mixing Tub - $11.28

Polypropylene Lid - $8.52

Loaf Pans:

USA Pan 9x5x2.75 Made in the USA! - $14.95

more to come....

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Scale-Bakers-KD8000-Weight/dp/B00VEKX35Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457106673&sr=8-1&keywords=kd8000

This scale is VERY popular on the facebook sourdough groups I'm part of.  It can even read out your items in bakers percentages. (you weigh the flour first, hit the % button to change the mode) then dump your flour into another bowl and add your other ingredients (using the same bowl along the way) and it'll read out in percentages.

Here's a video on it:

That said, I have the OXO listed in the original post, it's small and compact and great for baking.  This one is just 'next level', though.. but much bigger in size.

USA Pan 9x5x2.75 Made in the USA! - $14.95

more to come....

I think your 'standard' Loaf pan is actually 8.5x4.5... USA Pans makes that one as well. (I guess this depends on how much you're baking in it)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bread-loaf-pan-8-x-4-standard

Here's an article as to why that is:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2016/02/12/choosing-right-bread-pan/

For those of you with the Oxo, do you find that you often weigh things more than 5lbs? Or, did you get the 11lb one just in case? I've never used a scale so I have no idea what capacity I would need.

For those of you with the Oxo, do you find that you often weigh things more than 5lbs? Or, did you get the 11lb one just in case? I've never used a scale so I have no idea what capacity I would need.

You are asking a good question! For me, while I am not weighing out 11 lbs of flour, sometimes the tare weight of my vessel is heavy. That will need to be factored in. 11 lbs seems to be a very common limit in kitchen scales, especially if you want to scale to do 1.0 grams.

The weight of the vessel is not something I considered. Great point. Is anyone having success baking with a smaller capacity scale? Or, should I just get the 11lb?

You can try anything you like, I just checked amazon where I got mine. Similar scales are less than $10. I don't think you will save much.