Oly Smokes

Mongolian Cheese Steak Sandwich (Again)

Hey guys, so almost 1 month exactly I made this recipe for the first time and absolutely loved it. I didn't even realize that the "monthly challenge" for February was for a sandwich cook. But unfortunately when I posted it the first time it was on January 30th, so it didn't qualify for the February challenge.

But I had tons of great comments and questions, and a lot of people suggested that I make it again this month for the "big sandwich" challenge. So I figured why not, since I really liked it so much the first time.

These are pretty easy to make and so good. Unfortunately I tried out a different sandwich roll this time, but I didn't like them as much. In my opinion it was too much bread to meat ratio. Plus, I got them way over toasted, so it was way too crunchy of bread. But it was still good.

I hope you give this a try if you haven't yet, and let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking everyone,

Blair, aka Oly Smokes.

Started out with a 1 1/4lb boneless chuck steak. Put in the freezer for a little over an hour to get nice and firm. This makes slicing it thin much easier.

post-4649-0-33811600-1456727897_thumb.jp

Sliced up thinly across the grain.

post-4649-0-14150000-1456727906_thumb.jp

Got the marinade all ready for the Mongolian beef. 

This marinade consists of:

1/4 cup of soy sauce

2 tablespoons of hoisin sauce

1 tablespoon of sesame oil

2 tablespoons of white sugar

1 tablespoon of minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.

post-4649-0-06776300-1456727913_thumb.jp

Got the steak and marinade into a 1 gallon ziplock bag and massage the marinade into the meat. Place into the fridge for 3 to 5 hrs.

post-4649-0-94028800-1456727918_thumb.jp

Bell peppers and onion sliced and ready to go.

post-4649-0-22947900-1456727924_thumb.jp

I decided to use the Big Joe tonight. It's been feeling lonely the past few months. Last time I made this on my KJ Classic, but was kinda cramped on space.

Got the peppers and onions down on the cast iron flat top.

post-4649-0-38633500-1456727932_thumb.jp

I let those cook for about 20 min or so until they got some nice color and were tender.

post-4649-0-52468500-1456727938_thumb.jp

Pulled the peppers off and on goes the steak. As soon as that wet meat hits that hot griddle, you can just hear that sizzle and the instant steam that comes off the grill. Smells awesome.

post-4649-0-61220800-1456727944_thumb.jp

Starting to get some nice color now

post-4649-0-06231500-1456727955_thumb.jp

Then I added the peppers and onion back into the steak and cooked for another few min together.

post-4649-0-34462700-1456727969_thumb.jp

To finish it off, time to add the cheese. I put down 4 thick slices of spicy pepper jack.

post-4649-0-27231700-1456727979_thumb.jp

I let that cook for another 5 min or so until the cheese was nice and melted.

post-4649-0-49588900-1456727991_thumb.jp

Final money shot, all plated up. I couldn't wait to bite into this bad boy. So good.

post-4649-0-17069200-1456728000_thumb.jp

Yeah I assume so John. I've used these steaks for many things. You can see they have good marbling. Everyone knows the chuck roast has pretty good flavor since most people use that cut to make ground beef for burgers. But it is a fairly tough cut, so you need to slice it real thin across the grain for it to been fairly tender.

I know the ideal choice would be to use a nice ribeye. But I just didn't wanna spend near $20 for some sandwich meat. But one day I will try it to see if it tastes any better.

Yeah I assume so John. I've used these steaks for many things. You can see they have good marbling. Everyone knows the chuck roast has pretty good flavor since most people use that cut to make ground beef for burgers. But it is a fairly tough cut, so you need to slice it real thin across the grain for it to been fairly tender.

I know the ideal choice would be to use a nice ribeye. But I just didn't wanna spend near $20 for some sandwich meat. But one day I will try it to see if it tastes any better.

I don't blame ya!  I have just not run across that cut or I haven't been looking closely enough.  Beef prices are crazy these days.  Skirt and flat iron would have been good choices also but the prices of those I have seen lately make me ask myself why not just go with ribeye or strip.  I'm gonna pick one of those up and have a look at it.  I bet you could pound it flat and make it tender as well... I am sure it would taste great...

I don't blame ya!  I have just not run across that cut or I haven't been looking closely enough.  Beef prices are crazy these days.  Skirt and flat iron would have been good choices also but the prices of those I have seen lately make me ask myself why not just go with ribeye or strip.  I'm gonna pick one of those up and have a look at it.  I bet you could pound it flat and make it tender as well... I am sure it would taste great...

That's true.