Oh No! High cholesterol! What to smoke now

dman

I've been on cholesterol medicine for years, same with my wife. With me it's probably has more to do with extra eating. My wife is the size she should be but it runs in her family. Her dad died at 48 a lot had to do with genetics. Dr told her oat meal helps, she ate it every morning, next check up her bad count went up till she started taking pills. Some times food will help other times pills will do, best thing is to see Dr for annual check ups to keep it in check.

'M gonna try to do it with food and exercise rather than medicine for now. Doctor said I could do that and we'll see what the next blood test shows. Fish, chicken, broccoli...I like these.

We have always ate a lot of chicken. We eat pretty well but I have had very high cholesterol for quite a while.

Statins for me were poison. They had a slow cumulative effect. At first just a bit of an ache in my joints and muscles but the longer I took them the worse it got. It slowly became increasingly worse.. At its worst all my joints and muscles ached and it hurt to walk. I felt like i was 200 years old. So i quit taking them and slowly the pain in my joints and muscles went back down. I know another person who had the same experience so it is not exclusive to me.

For me the thing that helped lower the cholesterol was eating a big bowl of beans made from the hard dried in bag kind. That big bowl each morning with three eggs lowered my cholesterol. It did take about 6 months for my body to adapt and the gas to go away. Yes I know eggs have cholesterol but they say that it is not consumed cholesterol as much as the body recycling it. At any rate my cholesterol went down enough to not need the stains.

The funny thing was eating beans for breakfast allowed me to loose about a pound a week for a total of 40 pounds. After my body adapted to the beans and the gas went  almost  completely away so did the slow weight loss but thankfully the cholesterol stayed down.

From my reading it is high fiber foods that produce the gas and high fiber is supposed to lower cholesterol.

There have also been studies that linked increased heart attack to statins even though they did lower the cholesterol. A couple of the cholesterol reducing drugs never made it to market because of they actually increased the rates of heart attacks too much to be approved.. The take away that some people have is that there is really no holistic over view of what cholesterol does and how reducing it affects the over all body. However there is a correlation to heart attack and high cholesterol and that is why there is a push to lower it.

Of course your mileage may vary as far as eating a good sized amount of beans daily and lowering cholesterol. I actually love the beans we make so it is no problem for me to eat them.

At my 2016 wellness check my total was 236 - high but my HDL was 62.   I'm pretty happy with that result, not sure what your exact numbers are but look closer than just the total number.  Lose weight and exercise, those can really make a difference.