• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
JonF

Costco's New Kamado... Pit Boss

46 posts in this topic

Saw this at the Costco in Victorville, CA. today.

Kind of looks like an imitation Vision (like when they first came out).. If I was in the market for a Vision, I'd get a real on at Sam's Club ;)

It has the same type of dual rack setup.. Comes with a cover and ash tool that I could see. Seemed like a decent hinge.

I wasn't to impressed with the fit/finish of the interior and firebowl.

Costco still has KJ road shows on the schedule   :)

Anyway, here's some pictures.

post-3388-0-11124100-1457237976_thumb.jppost-3388-0-03076800-1457237985_thumb.jppost-3388-0-97417900-1457237994_thumb.jppost-3388-0-77445800-1457238002_thumb.jppost-3388-0-05736000-1457238007_thumb.jppost-3388-0-60133700-1457238015_thumb.jppost-3388-0-86157600-1457238024_thumb.jp

have to agree, looks just like the Vision I bought at costco a few years back, if I remember the price point was the same as well

Yeah, but did you notice it has a 24" cooking surface. The original Vision's were 18" diameter grids.

$600 for a 24inch is a very good price. I wonder if the warranty is comparable to the Vision? It sure looks like it came out of the same factory as the vision. If so it should hold up like one.

I was just talking about this on another thread the other day. The shell and the dome assembly looks like they were made by Auplex a company out of China. Vision uses their products, so does Browning, and now Pit Boss, and i think a few others. Each company adds their own components; (hinge assembly, vents, side tables, cart or stand, etc),  to the basic kettle and dome. Vision just came out with a XL size kamado, I am betting this is the same size and dimension as that. Just a guess. 

Marty likes this

I remember seeing these in Costco Canada , from a Canadian price point they were about $200 less than a KJ. If I recall the head office is based in Edmonton Alberta (think Louisiana grills is there other line).

Lowes in Canada is advertising these about $100 less than a KJ

Great price for that much grill. Hopefully it will hold up and if there are problems hopefully the manufacturer will stand by their product. Time will tell. Seems Kamado cookers are slowly making it into the mainstream in grills. There is rumor as well that weber is planning something similar but yet to be revealed.

1 yr warranty if I remember correctly.  That made me question the quality vs. a Vision.

Manual says Limited Lifetime Warranty

I bought a Vision from Costco about five years ago and truly no regrets. I would, however, hesitate to buy a product like a Kamado, and even certain other items from there, and here's why. I am at a stage of my life where the kids are growing up, the oldest will be on his own, and my purchases from there have drastically declined over the years. Every year when that $55 membership fee comes up, I ask myself if it's really worth it. Then, I think about the kitchen faucets, lighting and door fixtures, and the Kamado that were all purchased there, and realize I need to keep it active, as these are all items that have a good chance of breaking (I've already replaced the faucet in the last three years). So in a sense I am spending $55 a year for an extended service warranty. No necessarily a bad thing, and I do still drive to Costco for items on occasion. You just need to ask yourself if you are really going to need a Costco membership 7-10 years down the road, because that is when you more than likely will need their outstanding return policy.

Jesse likes this

I bought a Vision from Costco about five years ago and truly no regrets. I would, however, hesitate to buy a product like a Kamado, and even certain other items from there, and here's why. I am at a stage of my life where the kids are growing up, the oldest will be on his own, and my purchases from there have drastically declined over the years. Every year when that $55 membership fee comes up, I ask myself if it's really worth it. Then, I think about the kitchen faucets, lighting and door fixtures, and the Kamado that were all purchased there, and realize I need to keep it active, as these are all items that have a good chance of breaking (I've already replaced the faucet in the last three years). So in a sense I am spending $55 a year for an extended service warranty. No necessarily a bad thing, and I do still drive to Costco for items on occasion. You just need to ask yourself if you are really going to need a Costco membership 7-10 years down the road, because that is when you more than likely will need their outstanding return policy.

I understand your reasoning but you do not need a membership to return items.  You don't even have to have your receipt.  of course your membership id card would help find the purchase on their computer system but they can search by name as well

Ross likes this

I understand your reasoning but you do not need a membership to return items.  You don't even have to have your receipt.  of course your membership id card would help find the purchase on their computer system but they can search by name as well

Is that right? I knew you did not need a receipt. They basically just run the item name and or model number in their computer, and if it has a history that any Costco ever carried it, they give you a refund. I just assumed that you at least needed a current membership. Geeze, now I have no excuse to renew my membership, and it's coming up at the end of March. I will probably go ahead a renew it, even though our average visits there dropped to below once a month. I could probably get by with a guest pass for the few times I go there, but I'm guessing that they probably track that, and I'm not the type of guy the wants to abuse a good thing.

I had a buddy that started a landscaping business.  He had a nice Honda lawn mower that he failed to tie down properly in the back of his truck.  It fell out, and scattered into a ton of pieces on the road. He brought them all over to Costco, shoved them in a cart and said, "My mower broke." He figured they would laugh in his face, and he would turn around an leave. To his surprise, no questions asked, they gave his a refund, and he walked out with a new mower.

Now I am betting I could probably break my Vision in two and go pick up a new Pitt Boss, they would probably do it, no questions asked." But I'm just not that kinda guy, I'd feel kinda dirty doing something like that...

Paul and Marty like this

My husband has returned video game systems that were purchased as a gift to him from Costco. From what I understand their returns are now limited when it comes to electronics, but everything else is still that way.