Costco's New Kamado... Pit Boss

JonF

Wow, I must say that looks a lot like the Duluth Forge I bought....the firebox and coal grate, the cooking grates, even the hinges. 

Wonder if I can score one of those nests....tired of bending over for all my cooks!

• 1 month later...

I was just at Costco yesterday and they have the updated Pit Boss, with heat deflector and black composite side shelves, for $599. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Trying to decide between that and a barely used KJ classic that's for sale locally. KJ is at $950 obo, and this one will be $635 after tax. Quality looks comparable, and the Costco 'warranty' with their return policy is tough to beat. Full refund on most things for years. One thing I didn't seem to like in checking out the store model, the heat deflector that's included sits right up under the main cooking grate. I see a lot of guys that put a drip pan on their deflector but with this setup that will not be possible. I guess you could use the top level grate, but what's the point of that as it sits higher in the dome and has less surface area. What are you guys doing with that setup?

43 minutes ago, lastJoe said:

I was just at Costco yesterday and they have the updated Pit Boss, with heat deflector and black composite side shelves, for $599. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Trying to decide between that and a barely used KJ classic that's for sale locally. KJ is at $950 obo, and this one will be $635 after tax. Quality looks comparable, and the Costco 'warranty' with their return policy is tough to beat. Full refund on most things for years. One thing I didn't seem to like in checking out the store model, the heat deflector that's included sits right up under the main cooking grate. I see a lot of guys that put a drip pan on their deflector but with this setup that will not be possible. I guess you could use the top level grate, but what's the point of that as it sits higher in the dome and has less surface area. What are you guys doing with that setup?

Welcome. Please stop by and introduce yourself.  

In my opinion, I wouldn't buy used ceramic Kamado, the warranty is what you are really paying for.  That said, 950 seems so far

over the mark for a used, no warranty grill.  

Just now, Mewantkj said:

Welcome. Please stop by and introduce yourself.  

In my opinion, I wouldn't buy used ceramic Kamado, the warranty is what you are really paying for.  That said, 950 seems so far

over the mark for a used, no warranty grill.  

That makes sense, and the Pit Boss will have that nice Costco return policy to back the warranty it comes with. I guess if I can get the KJ down to $700 it would be worth it...maybe? I've read that although you are not the original owner that KJ does a pretty good job of hooking you up if it's something that fails. What are the items that fail most on the KJ Classics? Pit Boss also has a 24" surface vs 18".

51 minutes ago, lastJoe said:

I was just at Costco yesterday and they have the updated Pit Boss, with heat deflector and black composite side shelves, for $599. Sounds like a pretty good deal. Trying to decide between that and a barely used KJ classic that's for sale locally. KJ is at $950 obo, and this one will be $635 after tax. Quality looks comparable...

Hmmmm... First, let me acknowledge that you refer to the updated Pit Boss and I have not seen it. But, if the heat deflector and side shelves is the only difference, I find this statement counfounding. The stainless steel grates, for instance, are more substanital on the KJ, the actual radius of the bowl in wider on the KJ. I know Pit Boss claims to be 24", it's not, I've measured. The thickness of the bowl is wider. I am by no means bashing Pit Boss. After considering a Primo, I was this close to buying one before I saw the KJ in person. But, there wasn't a single aspect I examined where I could say they were equal in quality with the KJ or the primo. It's in a different price range for a reason.

3 hours ago, Kamado Al said:

Hmmmm... First, let me acknowledge that you refer to the updated Pit Boss and I have not seen it. But, if the heat deflector and side shelves is the only difference, I find this statement counfounding. The stainless steel grates, for instance, are more substanital on the KJ, the actual radius of the bowl in wider on the KJ. I know Pit Boss claims to be 24", it's not, I've measured. The thickness of the bowl is wider. I am by no means bashing Pit Boss. After considering a Primo, I was this close to buying one before I saw the KJ in person. But, there wasn't a single aspect I examined where I could say they were equal in quality with the KJ or the primo. It's in a different price range for a reason.

Kamado Joe is better in almost every respect and the price fits accordingly. If considering "value" I would say they are in the same league. It's more about what your personal budget is.

The cooking area for the Kamado Joe Classic is 18" and the Pit Boss 24 is around 21.5". And from what I've read, the new model Pit Boss's ceramics are even thicker or denser, leading to an increase of weight over last year's model. That, the mentioned deflector/side shelves and an inclusion of a spark grate and a modified fire bowl are the only differences I can remember off the top of my head. There is a thread in the PB forum discussing the differences.

13 minutes ago, michaelt said:

Kamado Joe is better in almost every respect and the price fits accordingly. If considering "value" I would say they are in the same league. It's more about what your personal budget is.

The cooking area for the Kamado Joe Classic is 18" and the Pit Boss 24 is around 21.5". And from what I've read, the new model Pit Boss's ceramics are even thicker or denser, leading to an increase of weight over last year's model. That, the mentioned deflector/side shelves and an inclusion of a spark grate and a modified fire bowl are the only differences I can remember off the top of my head. There is a thread in the PB forum discussing the differences.

I do not disagree at all, the Pit boss is a very decent, perhaps excellent, entry level unit. However, value and quality are two very different animals. I was responding only to the use of the term of 'quality'. I am a quality first person and value to me equals cost divided by quality. Quality is just the equation of fit, finish and features.

Totally agree with you guys, I'm on the same page. The KJ for sale has some nice add-ons, and looks basically new. However, once ownership is transferred the warranty is all but gone, so that's a big deal. Don't want something to fail that I'm spending $$ next summer when I could've had something with a full warranty.

I guess the big question is, for the 1 yr old used KJ, what is a fair price?? I know I can get the PB at Costco for $635 otd, with a decent warranty. The KJ though has the higher quality, in most every aspect, but no warranty.

I might add that it seems the firebowls are the items that crack the most.  I have a six year old Vision and I have had no cracks.  I have a Joe Jr also and yes the bowl is thicker but it cooks the same as my Vision.  If I was on a budget I would probably go with the pit boss.  You can always return it.

I got my Pit Boss K24 from Costco last weekend.  So far I have done Ribs and a Standing Rib Roast.  I am real impressed with the way it holds the temps and how quickly you can bring up the Temps to sear.  I you are new, this is a great place to start.  Frankly unless something happens, I see no reason to spend the additional money for a KJ or BGE.  lets face it we all love what we have or we wouldn't have it so it all depends on your preference and spending limit.

Ok, was just talking to a buddy (who owns a KJ) and he was at Costco, and the local bbq dealer. The dealer sells KJs, and Costco has the Pit Boss. He said going directly from one to the other, the quality difference was very noticeable. He also said the owner of the bbq store said that he had a customer come buy a KJ after buying a PB last year, having the bowl crack, and Costco not replacing or refunding. I thought their warranty setup was pretty solid, but maybe that doesn't apply to larger ticket items like a ceramic cooker? Not sure. Nonetheless, my buddy is considering selling his 1 yr old KJ to upgrade to a Big Joe, and said he'd do $750. Knowing him and living only a few miles away means I would get the benefit of the original warranty on his KJ. New ones are selling for $1200 now at the bbq dealer. Might be able to get it down to $700 for the KJ, and the PB would be $635 otd with tax. Tough decision?

• 2 months later...