Reef's Herb Garden

ckreef

Small Waterfall

That was a good guess - very close.

125 gallon pond with a 8 gallon water fall. Sunk down into the ground with matching flag stones all around.

Mrs skreef has had ponds in the past. This is my first pond should be interesting.

If there's a waterfall, there has to be a pond for it to fall into...
Not necesarily... sized for the effect, cirulatory sytem can also serve as a resevoir & placed below grade for the "illusion"

Ckreef, where did you get your planters and for how much? They look perfect for what I'd like to do on my small deck at my apartment.

It is so awesome to see ya'lls dream of an herb garden becoming. Very cool design. The hanging baskets have herbs in them too?

What herbs are ya'll going with?

The planters came from Home Depot. They are 20" in diameter and cost $14.99. They come in the gray color we got and also a brown color. There is also a slightly larger version for $20. The only thing I had to do was drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage. I liked those because they look decent and were a good height (mostly everything else we found was taller which seemed like a waste).

So far we have rosemary, sweet basil, cilantro, parsley, thyme, oregano and dill. Plenty of room left for other things. The hanging pots have flowers in them. Mrs skreef wanted a few flowers here and there. We have a few more hanging baskets just haven't hung them yet

Dont know if ya'll use Lavendar or bay leaves... A lavendar plant has beautiful flowers and is a great addition to any pot... And bay laurel leaves are a staple here in Louisiana..

Ckreef, what are you using for proper drainage in your pots? Today I noticed my basil didnt look to good and noticed the dirt was too wet.

Holes in the bottom followed by some large gravel rocks. The dirt I used was a raised bed potting soil. It looks like it has a lot of mulch and fertilizer in it so the drainage and nutrients should be good. We'll see.

Waiting for a really good rain to settle the stones and soil down. After that I'll know more.

If you mix in peat moss and vermiculite you'll get water retention plus aeration for the roors.  Peat moss reatins the water, vermiculite creates gaps in the soil for air.  Need holes in the bottom of the pot as well but this combo will help prevent you from watering constantly.

The pond and waterfall look fantastic.

Now you need at add some expensive Koi the the pond and pretty soon you will have a Great Blue Heron hanging around.

Or some inexpensive gold fish. I have a small 50 gallon reflecting pool in my back yard with fountain. 18 years ago I stocked it with five $0.25 gold fish, today three remain and are the size of small koi. Of course it's about 20" deep which helps, a neighbor has a small pond about 8" deep and birds and raccoons periodically dine on the fish. I think they've given up...

The pond and waterfall look fantastic.

Now you need at add some expensive Koi the the pond and pretty soon you will have a Great Blue Heron hanging around.

Or some inexpensive gold fish. I have a small 50 gallon reflecting pool in my back yard with fountain. 18 years ago I stocked it with five $0.25 gold fish, today three remain and are the size of small koi. Of course it's about 20" deep which helps, a neighbor has a small pond about 8" deep and birds and raccoons periodically dine on the fish. I think they've given up...
This is 125 gallons that is 18" deep. The upper pool/waterfall is 8 gallons. The main pond has two shelves to put water plants on. Will also put one water plant in the upper pool. Probably 2 or 3 gold fish.

Ck,

There are some forms of thyme that are recumbent and would work well between some of your paver stones. I did that in a garden once, worked pretty well and stood up to foot traffic pretty well. Gave the garden an old, established, look.

We've been looking at different plants for that. I'll have to check out thyme. I have another section in the yard that I just let happen naturally. Took about 2 years. They sell what they call Toe Tickles meant for that purpose.

Yeah, Ck, that;s how I found out about the thyme. The nursery by my house had a table of what they called stepables for foot traffic areas. I found this looking up plants you can walk on. Nice thing about using thyme is it smells great and flowers as well. 

http://www.thegardener.co.za/kb/article.php?id=131

http://www.eburgess.com/detail.asp?pid=5103

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/thyme/elfin-thyme-information.htm