Dirkdaddy

1st Post-Move Post - The Vision made it! Now where to get good lump in Portland OR?

I just moved me and my Vision Classic from Houston TX area to Portland OR, and amazingly the grill survived! I didn't totally dissassemble or anything, I did remove the metal grates and burner plate, etc. took out the fire bowl, packed with foam and paper, we left it on the stand and put cardboard around it, then shrink wrap, then the guys took care to load it in a special place so it would ride smooth.  :-D

Anyway, I'm cooking a pork butt now in the back yard, and I just had a door to door sales guy come by the front door and he was just about frothing at the mouth to get a taste ... "what's that smell, my gosh, that's incredible!"  :)  I blew him off but it was a nice compliment. What temp should I be looking at for pork butt? I'm hitting about 157 now, only about 1/2 barked, using just a little vinegar/coffee/oj/maple syrup mop on it. 

______-

Another ? for PNW folks....OK, here in West Portland OR, where can you get a good deal on lump? We have a LOT of timber around here, but pellet smokers are big here, not Lump burners, so I haven't seen a lot of lump. One hardware store carries small expensive bags of Mesquite (not my favorite for everything), and I found a medium bag of hardwood at Lowes at nearly 50% more than what I paid in TX, but my usual low prices at Sams Club (Isn't one for 150 miles!!) and Costco, Acadamy Sports, etc don't carry it or aren't available here. In Texas you could get lump at a lot of places. I have one more trip back from TX but I'm not filling the truck with lump (LOL). :roll:  I was hoping KG had a few forums by state or something like I've seen on other sites. 

Good to be back. 

as far as the pork butt  I usually start probing at 195 and normally it goes to 205 before I am happy

Tacoma area  I just today discovered that Home depot is carrying royal oak llump

usually can only find cowboy and stuff that Safeway carries

If you have an Ace hardware store  they dont carry the KJ lump in stock but you can get free store shipping and it only takes a couple of days  I pay the extra few bucks for the KJ because I am not to fond of cowboy, but now that I found a source for Royal Oak  i am going to give that a try

as far as the pork butt  I usually start probing at 195 and normally it goes to 205 before I am happy

I just woke up and looked and it was 204, close enough...sure enough the probe pulled out easy and it smelled amazing!! :-D

The Vision was 235, I'm always impressed by how efficient it is, I hadn't stocked it super full but had plenty for this cook.

I had started about 5pm, 11 hours on the grill. The advice here is always good! Wrapped in foil towels and stuck in cooler. Its 4am here. And of course the cat ran out, he's usually only good for 30 min outside but he's not coming back in...gonna be a cold morning for him if he doesn't come back in now. 

Ace Hdwr may be best bet for something good.

Royal Oak is usually available at Bi-Mart & WalMart, but we have few Wally World's here compared to TX & OK

Lowe's & Home Depot stock some, especially in season.

You can get some @ the specialty shops -- wood stove / outdoor shops, but always expensive.

Good Luck -- I usually just burn (make do) what is available, usually Royal Oak, but I'm 45 minutes from the nearest edge of metro PDX, so not apt to travel around Portland much.

you know what they say..... pics or it didn't happen!!!

\

LOL

I love taking pictures, but I was snowboarding with my little one and had keys in pocket with my phone, next thing I know after helping her on with her equipment, my camera glass is shattered. :(   I never keep keys in pocket with phone usually but it had been a bit stressful getting her going and I had a cover on it..but of course the camera has a port... Anyway, no pictures. But cooked a turkey on the grill using an accessory "turkey cannon" I had bought cheap and then tried to sell on ebay new, but never did, so I tried it. I can't say it was better or worse than not using it, but the turkey was superb and we also cooked squash (just Microwaved first to get them going) with cinnamon and brown sugar and smoke...my daughter made a fruit pie...last night was like Thanksgiving! :)  

Just glad the kamado made it unscathed. Not everything fared so well....