Chicken Brine Recipe

HI all!

Well, I did my first brine last weekend for a roast chicken and lemme tell you, I aint cookin chicken any other way from now on. I used this recipe:

Warm water (enough to completely cover the chicken)

1/2 cup kosher salt

3/4 cup soy sauce

3/4 cup brown sugar

3 tbsp olive oil

Chicken rub seasoning

I let it brine in the fridge for 5 hours then brought the kamado up to 400°F and cooked it until the juices ran clear and it was uniformly golden brown and crispy (my digital thermometer caked on me).

The flavour was unreal - smokey, juicy and moist and incredibly tender. Everyone in attendance couldn't stop commenting on how juicy and delicious it was.

Sorry, no pics as it was dark and it didn't last long enough after we took it out to take a pic! :lol:

• 6 months later...

Followed your brine suggestion and i have to say it came out pretty damn good! Just for anybody else reading this it was 10 cups of water that I used with the listed brine ingredients. Brined for 10 hours, let them dry in fridge another 3. Cooked skin down for 20 and up for another 15. Skin came out right on and the chicken itself had a great flavor. Thanks for sharing, first brine I've used that didn't leave a salty taste.

post-2248-1375650991554_thumb.jpg

Water 2 gals

White vinegar 2cps

Kosher salt 2cps

Ground black pepper 1/2 cp

Mix thoroughly

Submerge leg quarters (abt 5-6 lbs) REFRIDGERATE for 24-30 hours. Remove and the chicken will have turned grey. Put on the cooker and try for as low a temp as you can hold it. 4-5 hrs & try to hold temp 200-250 if possible.

I use hickory or oak on the coal bed. I like oak..... Not green

Chicken will be SALTY so don't salt the other foods on the side.

This is a revised addition cause I boo booed on the cooking time........ Sorry

post-2359-13756510093332_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

I like using apple cider enough to cover the bird, with 1/2 cup fine sea salt, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup orange juice. I also toss in some sliced oranges and a bundle of Simon and Garfunkel herbs. When you brine make sure you keep the brine and the chicken or turkey well below 40 degrees at all times. I take a shelf out of the garage fridge and set my brine box in the fridge itself.