- 2lbs State of Maine Yellow Eyed Beans

- 1 yellow onion - quartered

- 1/2 lb Salt Pork

- 1/4 cup Sugar

- 2/3 cup Molasses

- 2 tsp Dry/Ground Mustard

- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper

- Dash of Salt

Pick through the beans for small pebbles/rocks and put them in a big bowl. Cover with cold water and let them soak overnight. In the morning, boil the beans in a big pot until you can blow on them and the skin splits easily. Transfer the beans to a baking dish or a crock pot (your choice) and add the quartered onion. Add to the beans the sugar, molasses, dry mustard, pepper, and salt pre-mixed with a pint (2 cups) of boiling water. If the mixture doesn't cover the beans, add more boiling water to cover. Cut 1/2 way through the rind of the salt pork in several places and put it in with the beans. If baking, bake at 300F for six hours, if in crock pot, put on high for six hours or until done to your desired tenderness.

25807980616_4b61ddd8d0_b.jpg

I got it from my mom too... as it turns out, I didn't really need it... it's the recipe on the back of the bag of beans!  :idea:

I wish I had an old bean crock too. My mother has one my grandmother passed down to her so I'm hoping I'll get it eventually!

Durgin Park Boston Baked Beans

1 six quart or 2 three quart bean pots
2 pounds beans – California pea beans preferred or York State beans
   [small white dried pea beans]
1 pound salt pork [for people who can not tolerate preservatives which all salt
   pork is treated with, substitute with all natural bacon]
8 Tablespoons sugar [1/2 cup]
2/3 cup molasses
2 teaspoons dry mustard
4 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 medium-size onion

Soak beans [in water] overnight. In morning parboil for ten minutes with a teaspoon of baking soda. [Drain in a colander.] Then run cold water through the beans in a colander or strainer. Dice rind of salt pork in inch squares, cut in half. Put half on bottom of bean pot with whole onion. Put beans in pot. Put the rest of the pork on top. Mix other ingredients with hot water. Pour over beans [to just cover]. Put in 300-degree oven for six hours. This will make ten full portions.

“You can’t let the pot just set in the oven,” explains Edward. “You’ve got to add water as necessary to keep the beans moist. And you can’t be impatient and add too much water at a time and flood the beans.”

NOTE: This recipe can cut in half by using 1/2 of all the ingredients. 

Love that last sentence  :roll: