John Setzler

Char-Griller AKORN Kamado Satisfaction Survey

Char-Griller Akorn / King Griller Kamado Satisfaction Survey:  

1,342 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I very much enjoyed my Akorn. The entire experience from the preps, the cooks and the end results have been a joy. The durability of the Char-Griller will be the deciding factor. Unfortunately, tonight I went to reverse sear some tri tips tonight and I found a crack in the cast iron grate. Tomorrow I will contact the company to see how well they will stand behind their product. Fingers crossed.

Just heard from CG. Their response was that their warranty only covers parts when they are new. Hmm. Can't say that I am not disappointed. My Akorn cast iron grill has been used maybe a dozen times and only once (my second cook) over 500 degrees (with a diffuser BTW). They will happily sell a new outer grill to me but if they first grill could not hack light use I am rather dubious of a replacement. Instead I will look for a non-CG replacement.

Just heard from CG. Their response was that their warranty only covers parts when they are new. Hmm. Can't say that I am not disappointed. My Akorn cast iron grill has been used maybe a dozen times and only once (my second cook) over 500 degrees (with a diffuser BTW). They will happily sell a new outer grill to me but if they first grill could not hack light use I am rather dubious of a replacement. Instead I will look for a non-CG replacement.

Something is not right with this. I've probably done close to 200 cooks on my Akorn in the past year. At least 50+ were high heat. Grate is still in good condition.

I would have argued the point a bit more with CG customer service. They have given me great customer service the 2 times I've needed it.

Just bought my Kamado Kooker today. I believe it to be an older model with the aluminum top vent. I put it together and fired it up to burn off any production oils and season the grill. I was impressed by the solid feel of each component as I assembled it. I added a Weber charcoal grate and a cast iron griddle diffuser for indirect cooking and threw on a few chicken breasts. They came out acceptable but I didn't do anything special to them, just a last minute base line kind of thing. I am very happy with the purchase already, especially considering I found it on clearance for $225.00 I think I may need to contact Char-Griller to see about getting the newer air tight top vent though. Looking forward to trying some slow and low stuff tomorrow.

I love my Akorn.  I've used it almost one year and never had any problems.  I've smoked turkeys and ribs low and find the temperature control fairly easy.  Tri-tips, pork roasts and prime ribs at about 320 come out great.  It seems to be holding up well, and cleaning the ashes out of it is quick and simple.  I have ribs on it right now!

I've been using mine for a few weeks now, and I gotta give it 5 stars. After a couple cooks I added the BGE nomex for tighter control, but really its good to go right out of the box. I have smoked chicken thighs, brisket, and pork ribs very successfully using my pizza stone and Weber charcoal grate as the heat shield. I paid more than most, $399 at home depot in Canada for the cart model, but even at this price point I think its a great deal. 

If I had bought it before reading the low and slow information on this forum though I think I would have been very frustrated as the manual's recommended settings are way off. 

Bought my Akorn Thursday. As I was assembling I noticed a few problems. I had a chip in the porcelain, near the hinge, and a dent on the back side of the top. Sent an email to Chargriller & within an hour or two had a response. So far 100% pleased with my purchase. Will update when replacement part comes in :) happy cooking

New top came in, but it's debatable which is in better shape. (Replacement part was scratched & dented) Leaning towards the original. Happy with the speed of Chargrillers customer service, upset with the final product. Oh well grill works great, got plenty of booze, just got home from the butcher shop & have an afternoon full of sunshine planned.

I have had my Akorn for about 2.5 years and have loved it.  I use it about 4x a week and  I keep it covered and it is under a solid roof in our screened-in bar area so it has rarely seen any rain.  But we live on the beach - literally - it sits about 15ft away from the water in our tiki bar.   I think we have about 2-3 more months of use before it goes away due to rust from the salt air.  The ash catcher has rusted through and the rim of the inner lining where the charcoal grate sites is about 50% gone.   I got a killer deal on it and it last about as long as all of our other grills so I am not disappointed.  I just wanted to give others a headsup that once they start rusting, they go pretty fast.  I think the next one will be a Kamado Joe - 4x the price but if I can get 12 years out of it - I am ahead this time.