My first packer brisket, Texas Style!

Bigs

It's always stressful to cook something you have never done before. I had this packer in the freezer for quite some time and since we had a nice weekend, I defrosted it and of course, cooked it. :)

15LB packer, trimmed down... Texas style salt & pepper rub only.

This was done in 8hrs, believe it or not at 230-250F, pulled out at 198F (probed like buh-uh) and foiled for 1.5 hours then sliced it. Burnt ends went on for another hour and change.

I had really never tried good brisket before, most times it was dry and had no flavour. But holy freakin baman it was good.

IMG_20160312_0923272.jpg

IMG_20160312_0943512.jpg

IMG_20160312_0956572.jpg

IMG_20160313_0910212.jpg

IMG_20160313_105602.jpg

IMG_20160313_110028.jpg

IMG_20160313_163940.jpg

I'm never having brisket in a restaurant ever again. I never thought it would be THIS good. I brought samples to guys at works and they were fighting over it. The burnt ends are AWESOME.

Anyways, if it wasn't for this site, I would have never known how to make this.

Marc

I'm never having brisket in a restaurant ever again. I never thought it would be THIS good. I brought samples to guys at works and they were fighting over it. The burnt ends are AWESOME.

I know the feeling. I've become a BBQ snob. If it's not REALLY good BBQ--and there aren't a great many BBQ joints of that caliber in SoCal--I don't even want it.

And brisket is super-hard for restaurants unless they're like Aaron Franklin and sell it fresh until they run out. Brisket dries out quickly. I think a typical restaurant is probably not serving it as fresh as they like. 

BTW I'm truly amazed that it finished in 8 hours. But it looks phenomenal.

Nice looking cook.

Thank you much!  :)

Very NICE!  Did you let it cook unwrapped the entire time? Or did you wrap at the stall?

Thanks man!  Yeah that's a MAJOR detail I omitted...  Unwrapped all the way.   Another thing I forgot to mention, I used Pecan for smoke.  :)

I know the feeling. I've become a BBQ snob. If it's not REALLY good BBQ--and there aren't a great many BBQ joints of that caliber in SoCal--I don't even want it.

And brisket is super-hard for restaurants unless they're like Aaron Franklin and sell it fresh until they run out. Brisket dries out quickly. I think a typical restaurant is probably not serving it as fresh as they like. 

BTW I'm truly amazed that it finished in 8 hours. But it looks phenomenal.

Thanks man!  You are not alone.  I tried a BBQ place the other day and I was really disappointed.  Like you said, I don't want to be a snob, but.  lol  

Yeah man, 8 hours.  I was thinking 12 to a max of 16...  I even took my ThremoPop to make sure I wasn't dreaming or my probe was defective and it was dot on 198F pretty much everywhere and like butter!

One guy at work kinda was skeptical about my Kamado cooking and all that stuff, he's THAT guy if you know what I mean...  He's like bring me a sample, you need to justify yourself.  So today, I brought him a sample, from this weekend BTW, in a ziplock which he re-heated it in the microwave (at work) and he did 3 back flips.  He's getting a smoker.  :)   He was suppose to share with another guy here and he didn't.  hahaha  He's sold 100%.

Thanks Freddy, appreciate the props!

Yep first one and definitely not my last.  :)

You know up here, that type of BBQing is not really common, it's starting to show up here and there but a lot of people have no clue what brisket is.  lol

Since you've perfected the brisket, here's something to try....do your burnt ends in an iron skillet....zowie!!!

I so happen to have one cast iron that is well seasoned, I will definitely try that on my next brisket!  Thanks man.  :)

Take this from a Texan...that looks great! Nice Job!

WOW man, thanks for the props, coming from a Texan, it's freakin awesome!  :)

Take this from a Texan...that looks great! Nice Job!

Now..............that is a compliment!

& I love me some good burnt ends!

:good: On that cook...........did I say, .love the burnt ends.

By the way, you can find some good BBQ joints in OK & TX, but a ways to travel. 

Yeah man, big time!  Mmmm burnt ends..  My father in laws freaked out.  lol 

Hey, if and when our CAD goes up in value, we may decide to make a trip down there.