pesto3

I'm in love with dry aged steaks!

Looking for umai bags now.

Did you get them from misty gully or somewhere else I came across these bags last year was going to order some but never got around to
No I got the Umai bags. I looked at the Misty Gully ones but opted for the Umai.
OK cool there are some great reviews about them

Did you get them from misty gully or somewhere else I came across these bags last year was going to order some but never got around to
No I got the Umai bags. I looked at the Misty Gully ones but opted for the Umai.
I'm just about to do another order. I'm hooked!

I have only tried dry age from the butcher could notice a difference but not that much maybe doing it at home for longer would make a difference

I have only tried dry age from the butcher could notice a difference but not that much maybe doing it at home for longer would make a difference
I bought a 200 day dry aged rib fillet (1) from a butcher. Dry aged in the traditional Swiss style. I didn't think it was that great. I thought it was good, but not $45 for 1 steak good. So I held off trying this process myself. This steak kicks butt on the 200 day steak. They also have this

post-9440-14583023450266_thumb.jpg

Can you dry age individual steaks with those bags or must you age a larger cut first?

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do so. I think Misty Gully sell smaller bags for much smaller cuts of meat. The wastage vs actual end product would be significant though (it would have to be a pretty thick steak) I would recommend just biting the bullet and giving it a go. I'm in Australia so our prices are not easily comparable, however, I bought 5 star Black Angus whole rib fillet for $220

And a 3 pack of bags for $20

So $230 for this experiment.

I would have ended up with 18 decent sized steaks (I cut some thicker) which ends up being $12.80 a steak. I buy my normal steaks in packs of 2 for around $22. So the prices are basically the same. The dry aged steak are unbelievable!!

I am glad I gave it a go. My plan is to always have one in the fridge at all times.