Overcomplication

Greetings Gurus...

I have been watching a Netflix series called "Cooked" that is really interesting stuff... I highly recommend it.  

In the FIRST episode, there is a quote that really hits home...

"The male desire to complicate simple things is very much on display around the barbecue pit."

I was in this funk for a long time when I first got into BBQ and smoking.  I had to have all the coolest gadgets... the thermometers, the pit probes, the automatic temperature controllers... you name it and I had it or really wanted it.  I was obsessive about 225°.  I wanted to tweak my airflow if my temperature got 5° over or under my target.  I wanted to be the MASTER of the PIT at all times. 

In the beginning, an all day or all night boston butt or brisket cook was just that... all day or all night... I had to tend it and could not trust that my equipment was fully capable of doing the job on its own.  I worried about that 5 or 10 degree temperature shift ruining my meat.  I worried about the fire going out and I had NEVER had a fire go out before.  After spending nearly $300 on an automatic temperature controller, I did my first overnight unattended cook and was super stoked with my skills and ability.  After all, I had just spend as much on that temperature controller as I had spent on the smoker itself (Weber Smokey Mountain.)  It just went on from there.  I had to have a wireless remote temperature probe so I could worry about my temperature while being inside the house.  I never could make myself trust in what I knew.  After a while I also felt like I was still not the MASTER of my PIT.  The master was the fancy electronics that I had bought.  

At some point a couple years ago, I finally decided to ditch all that fancy equipment.  I gave away the $300 temperature controller (and by this time I had already bought another less expensive model just to test and review, which I still have but it's boxed away not being used.)  I did away with the pit probes and just resolved to using a single instant read thermometer.  And that thermometer is a $25 model instead of the multiple $80+ models that are in drawers around the house.  So, at this point, the only gadget I use in my cooking is that $25 instant read thermometer.  That being the case, There are $10 thermometers out there that I could be using just as well.  

All you really need in terms of equipment (Besides your grill) is a good thermometer :)  

Now, all that being said, this is just ME.  I do understand the hobby factor of this stuff and I don't discourage buying all that fancy equipment because I have already been there and done that.  I also don't discourage the use of it.  I do, however, encourage you to become the master of your own pit!  Be able to function without the fancy tools and accessories.  

I completely agree. It's interesting to see on this forum or talking with people elsewhere how many people still want to make things as complicated as possible on the grill and then complain or have problems and frustrations as a result. My good deed is to try coaching them to back down from all the unnecessary complexity. Simpler is better and more fun.

All I ever use is my kamado, fewer spices, a remote temp monitor, and therma pen. That's it.

No 3-2-1. No spritzing. No foiling. No checking on the grill all the time.

I'll have to check out that show.

Greetings Gurus...

At some point a couple years ago, I finally decided to ditch all that fancy equipment. I gave away the $300 temperature controller (and by this time I had already bought another less expensive model just to test and review, which I still have but it's boxed away not being used.).

Wanna get rid of the boxed up controller to an upcoming hobbyists? Lol.

All you really need in terms of equipment (Besides your grill) is a good thermometer :)

And a good pair of tongs.

Those two things are all I use on a regular basis.  I am a big fan of simple.  I have no gadgets, gizmos, timers, spritzers, spinners, etc.  I would like a second grate to increase my capacity, but that is about all.

Can soooo relate to this post John! Been there, done that! Completely agree... KISS :-)

The idea of keeping things simple really hit home when I bought a Pit Barrel Cooker a few years ago. Just light and cook. Not even a pit thermometer to watch... and no vents to play with. And low and behold, it turned out some fantastic food. As you mentioned, the ONLY thing I needed was a decent instant read thermometer. Oh yeah, and my 18" tongs :)

Agree............haven't used my inexpensive controller in a year, not have I even been using the maverick probe type therm, it just too much trouble (& I have had nothing but trouble with it, for that matter).

Now...................apply some of the same "keep it simple" principles to bread making.  Relax.  Be Happy.  Sometimes the recipe just needs a little extra water or flour!

B)

Great points.

I found this forum right after my wife and kids gave me my Akorn for Father's Day last year.

I held off on getting some stuff until I got a feel for my grill.

8 months later and so far I'm just fine with the one meat thermometer I bought for my first Boston Butt.

I told my wife the other day that this was the best gift they have ever given me.