• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
    • DerHusker

The Challenges are Back!   05/08/2017

Join in on the fun and take this month's "Crack Pot Challenge"     We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".    We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".   
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John Setzler

Kamado Joe Classic/Big Joe Video Reviews

15 posts in this topic

Very nice. Can't wait to see some cooks from this fine piece of equipment. Great score!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I'm stoked about firing it up. There won't be a video for it, but I'm going to cook the thanksgiving turkey on it in the morning. I don't want to be tied up with video production tomorrow since I'm on a tight schedule and have to work tomorrow as well. I think the next video in this review set will be the much-sought-after 225° test. I found out with the Akorn reviews that this test seems to be of paramount importance to most people. As you probably know, I cook hotter than that most of the time but I'm going to fire up this grill and park it at 225° and let it ride for several hours...

From watching it looks like the air control will be at or close to 100%. I can't wait to see more videos.

I have not done a hands on for all of the Kamados but the spring assist for the lid is something that looks great. On the ones I have looked at----the weight of the lid as compared to the AKORN was dramatic. It made me appreciate the CGK.

I am curious is there a reason that you did not go for the bigger KJ?

John, compared to the CGA the KJ has its grill grate a few inches deep into the grill body. The CGA's grill grate is flush with the lid. Does having the grill grate deeper in the KJ give you any trouble?

John, compared to the CGA the KJ has its grill grate a few inches deep into the grill body. The CGA's grill grate is flush with the lid. Does having the grill grate deeper in the KJ give you any trouble?

No trouble at all. I can cook with the grill grate lower or flush with the lid by using the heat deflector rack. The lower position is better for that high heat searing. If you saw the add-on high heat searing modification I made for the Akorn, its similar by lowering the grate in the KJ down to the top of the fire ring.

No trouble at all. I can cook with the grill grate lower or flush with the lid by using the heat deflector rack. The lower position is better for that high heat searing. If you saw the add-on high heat searing modification I made for the Akorn, its similar by lowering the grate in the KJ down to the top of the fire ring.

Thanks for the reply. I am glad it does not seem annoying. To me it seemed like it would be. Maybe one day I will get a ceramic grill and I think the KJ might just be it.

I remember last summer some folks saying that the KJ, with nest and sidetables package was available at certain Ace hardware stores for $699. That would be a fantastic buy for that grill...

I think the ACE by me sells them for $699 but not sure. Should I go steal one? LOL

Irvin F.

King Griller w/Auber PID

Ace's price right now, and normally are $799. That is for pickup at your local Ace. Amazon has the KJ, also, for $799, delivered to your door. The $699 price was not an everyday price at Ace, but it seems to me I heard some Ace Hardware's ran a special last summer for a relatively short amount of time, for $699.

Yeah I thought my ACE had them for $699 but I just called and they are $799.99. Maybe it was theBayou Classic at Lowes I was thinking about.

Irvin F.

King Griller w/Auber PID

John. You've been a great source of information and inspiration. From your videos and web page, I have grown quite a collection of great subscribed channels.

I picked up an AKORN last year to supplement my old 'gasser.' After just one cook on the AKORN, I was hooked on the black stuff. The gasses never saw the light of day again. My son helped me bring the old rusted hulk to the dump just a few weeks ago. I am hooked! I am grilling almost every day that I am home. Everything from low and slow, to hot and fast. From meats, to fish, to veggies. You have got to try my apple smoked, skillet meatballs, simmered in red sauce.

Got distracted there. Sorry.

My question is this. Is the move from the AKORN to the KJ worth it? and if so... details please. You have used them both and I really want to hear your thoughts. A stove shop just two miles from my house just started selling both BGE and KJ. I have been fighting the urge to stop in.

Greetings Meathead and welcome to Kamado Guru. I can't help you with an Akorn question but there are many members that can. Please stop by the Introductions forum and introduce yourself.