Sign in to follow this  
ljn21

Opportunity to purchase a used (once) Saffire SG-18 - any info?

I have the opportunity to purchase a Saffire SG-18 that was used once, still looks brand new inside, wondering if anyone has any info on it?  Looking at the Saffire site, looks like this model isn't made anymore and I couldn't find much info on it.  Good kamado? 

It comes with the stainless cart and cover, what would a fair price for a used (once) one be in everyone opinion? 

Guessing from the name that is an 18" kamado like the KJ Classic size, I am guessing a lot of the accessories that fit other 18" brands/models would work ok for it?  I would be looking for a deflector, pizza stone, maybe a divide and conquer type setup and probably a few different grate setups.

Just picked up a Vision Classic B as well..wife will be happy lol maybe I can hide it behind a flower in the landscaping lol

There are some folks with Saffires on our forum. I would check the Saffire forum section and pm one or more of the guys who cook on them with your questions. Horses mouth, so to speak. I have no personal experience with Saffire, but from what I have seen on this site, they make a really nice kamado. 

Picking it up on Saturday :) Decided the price was right and from what I read on here it seems like a nice option, I might consider returning the Vision which is sitting in its box yet...

congrats!

Congratulations on the purchase.  I was looking at the Saffire grills also before buying the Kamado Joe.  I ended up choosing the Kamado Joe because of the great deal I got on it at the Costco roadshow.  You are going to love that grill! Post pics of your cook!

If I were going to buy another Kamado i would look very hard at the Saffire. The more i look arounf their web site the better they look.

They look top quality all the way.

I used to get them confused with another make but once I figured it out --i am really impressed.

Please post some cooks.

Went and picked it up on Saturday :) Didn't a chance to do any cooking on it yet but spent some time cleaning it up on Saturday...was going to cook on it on Sunday but we had Easter plans at a friend's house so probably won't get a chance again until this coming Saturday...going to do a Boston Butt :)

I could only find 4 things wrong with it when picking it up and cleaning it up:

-Left side table has a small crack in the bamboo, doesn't affect function so I think its OK

-R side table has one small dent on it, wife didn't notice it so I think its OK

-Fire bowl had one small about size of a quarter place where the edge of the ceramic was chipped, doesn't appear that it will be an issue

-Cover was dusty and dirty and couldn't really get it cleaned up despite scrubbing on it with soap and water

Didn't have time to take many pics but as the seller I bought from had said, it was used just one time and from the inside, it appeared that was true...will post more pics when I can and from the first cook this weekend :)  Vision is staying in the box for now, if this works, I think there won't be a need for the Vision. 

It came with a pizza stone, plate setter/deflector, ash tool, smoke chip feeder, 2nd tier rack, Saffire gloves and cover.  I bought the KJ lump from local Ace and a BBG Dragon to help get temps up quicker for fast/high cooks.

post-11025-0-14191400-1459177057_thumb.j

Nice looking grill there.  You are going to get some great use out of that thing.  The things you mentioned above will not present a problem.  

You could always keep both grills! :)  Or take the vision back and get a junior sized grill!!  I love having the Joe Jr. especially for those smaller cooks for just the wife and me.