Review of 24 Inch Pit Boss Kamado

Just picked one of these up at my local Costco on sale sale for 399. I am having the hardest time getting the temp to stabilize less than 290. I have had both dampers shut for well over an hour and still no drop. Maybe not sealed enough on bottom and/or top vent? Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one and before I ever fired it up I added gasket felt around the vent door and around the base of the upper hole for the top vent. It's airtight and holds temp great. Look at the early posts on this thread.

Thanks there is quite a bit on here about it actually!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding the gaskets will definitely help kill the fire if you end up overshooting your temp, but I was able to stabilize mine at lower temps without issue even without the gasket.

The 2 biggest things I've found are

1. Building the fire correctly. If you get too many spots going at once, it's going to end up much hotter than you want.

2. Getting a better temp reading. The OEM Dome thermometer isn't that useful. You can replace it, but I've found getting  a probe thermometer which can  tell me the grill temps without me opening the dome is a big part of keeping the temperature down.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, here you go.   I bought the Grill on 3/25/16 at Costco in VA.  Cost was $599.00 and included the side shelves, stand, ash tool, & Cover.  It is a 24 inch model.  The unit was packaged very

Hi all, first post here!  I purchased the Pit Boss K24 from Costco about three weeks ago and will share my first impressions (and pics) after a couple of cooks.   Similar to others, I was a little s

Well, it happened. I ordered the spider and two half stones from the Ceramic Grill Store. They should be here on Friday. Can't wait to start using it.

Posted Images

I just purchased the grill and am wondering if I should go purchase the felt gasket or try to cook without it. Do I need to purchase two different sized gasket widths to perform JDubU's mod or can I just stick with the 1 1/8 width?

Hope you have used it by now. The gasket is really only an issue of shutting the cooker down after you are done and extinguishing the charcoal for use later. You can maintain a low temp cook without the gasket in my experience.

Gasket is nice add but not necessary... same with thermometer.... stock one works well enough if you realize temperature at the grill is going to be higher than up in the dome...

I just purchased the grill and am wondering if I should go purchase the felt gasket or try to cook without it. Do I need to purchase two different sized gasket widths to perform JDubU's mod or can I just stick with the 1 1/8 width?

Hope you have used it by now. The gasket is really only an issue of shutting the cooker down after you are done and extinguishing the charcoal for use later. You can maintain a low temp cook without the gasket in my experience.

Gasket is nice add but not necessary... same with thermometer.... stock one works well enough if you realize temperature at the grill is going to be higher than up in the dome...

Without a second measuring device it can be hard to tell just how much the temperature difference between the dome and the grill are. There's lots of factors including how long you let the heat sink into the dome, if you're using heat deflectors and also how calibrated your OEM thermometer was. There's been several people who've had varying degrees of accuracy of their dome thermometers. So it's a bit more complicated than just grate temp > dome temp.

That said, I'd definitely recommend just trying it out anyways, maybe stick with more grilling stuff than smoking if you don't have a great feel for the actual temperature. When you're trying to keep the temperature low (sub 300ish degrees), opening the dome will generally cause a spike in temp so you want to minimize that, but you also don't want to be cooking at 50-100 degrees higher than you expected for long periods of time.

As for the gasket sizes, I just used one width and it was fine. Although, I did end up having to shave some of the thickness off my gasket to get it to open and close easier.

• 1 month later...

I just modded my bottom vent by adding felt tape on the slider in the suggested manner.   It is really, really hard to move and I did bend up the metal handle for the slider.  If I had to do it again, I would trim the felt around the two punched-out pieces of the slider door.  Now, my slider will go between totally closed and open about half way (more than enough to get full air flow).  I also added a strip of felt tape around the chimney.   I definitely notice better control of lower temperature  and can shut off air sufficiently to put out a fire.

I got my felt tape from my local Big Green Egg dealer where I buy my lump coal and starter blocks.  He says that they come with extra felt strips for the top chimney and he just accumulates them. 

• 2 weeks later...

So after having the pitboss 24k for a few weeks I decided to follow a few suggestions from this board. Here is what I did: 

- Felt on bottom vent

- Felt around the chimney

- Felt (1/10 of an inch) around the daisy wheel edge from the inside where it touches the static part of the top vent.

- Custom made a heat shield. I bought a corderrite 16.5" pizza stone from Amazon and built it a stand similar to the Kamado Joe one. (https://www.amazon.ca/Pizzacraft-PC0101-16-5-Inch-Cordierite-Baking/dp/B005IF2ZNM)

With this Setup I raised the bottom grid to the edge of the grill which gives me options and better access to the bottom grid in 2 grid setup.image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2016 at 11:58 AM, JDubU said:

I had thought of that but did not find that part offered for sale after a web search.  I did not try to contact other companies to see if they could sell it as replacement part.

The Vision Classic B would probably be the best match (http://www.visiongrills.com/kamado-grill-models/classic-b-series/).  If you are able to locate a source for an inner spark screen that works, let me know!

I know this was a while back, but I wanted to respond. I contacted Grilla, since their Kong looks identical to the pit boss, and they do not offer the screen.  

I have a buddy that works for a distributor of vision grills, he is going to contact his vendor on Monday and let me know about the screens. I'll post back in what I find. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I just bought the Pit Boss K24 00 $549 @ costco delivered. Nice unit, here's my initial observations:

• Previously owned a Grill Dome, and foolishly gave it away to the movers a few months back on the promise (from wife v2.0) that I could by a new one. Was going to re-purchase the larger GD but instead got the pit boss.
  • Assembly blah blah blah, easy and solid.
  • Did the top felt mod, no issues but didn't do the bottom door.
  • Started it up yesterday for the first cook (seasoned according to directions during the week, no issues) -- brisket that I wanted to smoke at 225-240 all day.
  • Should have done the bottom mod. I could not keep the heat down at all! fully closed the thing ballooned up to over 450; I pulled the brisket off at about 350 to finish in the oven but kept the PB going to see what would happen. I could not shut this thing down at all. Temp kept climbing regardless of being fully closed.
  • Today I did the bottom door with felt around the entire door; seems like there's already some felt around the opening so all I did was the door. Tight fit and hard to move the door, but I figure worth it.
  • Got the unit up to 560 with a full open/full load of lump. Then I shut it down completely to see how long it would take: 2 hours to go from 560 to 250. Don't know if that's good or not, but at least it's shutting down. Opened the bottom vent about an inch and set the top to #1 to see how long it will hold. It stopped dropping at about 240, or so I thought. it started climbing back up to 250 again so I closed the bottom vent to about a quarter inch. I'm watching it now.

Notice that the PB lid gets very warm. I can tell you that the GD was completely cool to the touch across every inch, so I'm guessing their custom ceramics are worth it. I'd prefer the extra large GD, but at about a third the price, I think the PB will work out well. If not, I'll just take it back to Costco!

As I have time in the next week I'll continue with more info and post some pictures on the PB K24. I have had the K24 for just over a week now and have cooked a L&S pork butt, a couple pizzas and a grilled up a couple burgers. I'm upgrading from the CG Akorn so, I'll do some comparisons between the two as I discuss things.

Initial impressions and assembly of PB K24:

• Showed up via freight on a pallet
  • Packaging was awesome: everything was well protected and double boxed with heavy cardboard
  • My unit was for the most part in great shape.
    • the dome lid had a significant chip in the finish (see customer service below)
    • lower dome had two very small chips in the ceramic exterior finish
    • missing a nut or two in the hardware pack
  • Comes with ash tool and COVER
  • I was surprised that it was pretty much fully assembled.
  • The only assembly needed (unit comes with the necessary tools and a an itemized hardware pack):
    • attaching lid handle
    • attaching side table mounts and tables themselves
    • stand needs to be assembled with casters
      • stand is very well built
    • Putting the cap vent on top of the lid dome
  • The unit is very heavy and the fit and finish appears to be excellent.
    • Cap vent did not fit snug on so, like other folks here I added an extra layer of felt. Cap vent itself works well and has a scale from 1 thru 4 to adjust opening.
    • Lower vent door is loose but it does have spring tabs on the door that allow it to be snugged up in the track that it slides in. I did set it up with some felt but to be honest I need to fine tune the modification.
    • Lid alignment is good
    • Hinge works well and has the necessary properties to counter the heavy lid weight
    • Dual grate system is nice.

Customer Service:

• I contacted Costco customer service about the damage on the unit.
    • Did not have replacement in stock and offered to have freight company p/u for return/refund
    • Also, stated that I could return at any time to warehouse location
    • Offered a small concession refund to keep the damaged unit and work with manufacturer.
      • I accepted the small refund. :)
  • I contact Dansons/Pit Boss/Louisianna customer service
    • I communicated about the lid chip and sent pictures. Chip was about 3/4" round in pictures but I could see cracks and that when it fully chipped out it would be at least 2"x2". (I'll show pics later)
    • Rep responded that they had sent touch-up paint to rectify
    • I communicated that touch-up paint was an unacceptable solution for the chip because of the size and location.
    • Rep responded right back and communicated that a new lid would be sent.
    • Received a new lid yesterday via freight (have not had time to open and inspect)
    • Overall customer service was very helpful and understanding. I was very impressed!

More to come...

Ok next post:

Initial burn-in and temp control:

• Burn-in for curing done 3x as I attempted to control temps
    • Instructions say to put in a "handful" of lump
      • this was not enough to sustain a burn... really needed ~3 handfuls to burn-in as described
    • Temps are MUCH more stable on the PB when compared to the Akorn
      • PB had both the lower and cap vent modified with a little extra felt to help seal.
      • Adjustments to cap vent are easier on the PB because of the build quality and the scale to reference.
    • Heating up and cooling down takes more time on the PB vs. the Akorn
    • Dome thermometer is fairly accurate at 25-35* lower than the grate temp. IME better than the Akorn.
    • Dome thermometer has developed a moisture bubble in it. Not sure if it is condensation or what.
    • Upper dome gets fairly warm during use...more so than the Akorn. Was surprised the PB was as warm as it was.
    • It appears to me that the PB burns more lump than the Akorn on comparable cooks.
    • I really like the removable ash pan on the Akorn vs. scraping out the ash on the PB
  • Deflector set-up
    • Purchased:
    • Deflector set-up in use:
      • I think that the diameter is perfect for the diameter of the firebox at the level it sits down at. I use it with the arms on top of the firebox and not in the slots.
      • I was excited about this set-up and thought it would be better than the other options I looked into.
      • It works well but I can only get so much lump into the firebox. The L&S pork butt cook ran out of fuel at the 8 hour mark..:evil: Obviously that is problematic and I'll be looking at possibly doing something else next time. Possibly flipping the rack up instead of down with the half moons moved up on top. I may just order the OEM deflector for future L&S cooks.
      • In it's current configuration it worked perfect for pizzas that have short cook times and benefit from the deflector for an even temp cook.

Cooks:

• Grilled some burgers on bottom OEM rack
    • must not have gotten the PB hot enough as cook time was longer than anticipated
  • Low and slow pork butts cooked on top OEM rack
    • maintained decent temps throughout the night cook
    • ran out of fuel at 8 hour mark with MY deflector set-up (see above)
    • (2) 7# butts took about 14 hours even with the need to reload lump
    • Finished pulled pork was awesome
  • Fired some pizzas on top OEM rack
    • Got grate temp up to 500*
      • cook again took longer than expected 10-11 minutes rather than 7-8
    • Finished pizzas were good but not as good as Akorn cooked for 7-8 minutes
    • Will attempt to raise grate temp up to 550-600* next time to see if I can improve

All in all, I'm impressed with the PB but I'm still learning it's intricacies to master cooking on it. I think that I'll be very happy with it as time goes on. With that being said when you compare the Akorn to the PB it performs VERY well. We all know that the Akorn has a few short comings but it really does provide a great entry level Komado experience. I would recommend it to anybody that wants to try out Komado cooking. Just my $.02.

More to come...

• 2 months later...

I am new to this thread and just picked up my Pit Boss.  I have been reading through this thread and wanted to add a link for those looking to try the damper felt mod that has been mentioned throughout.  I found that Smokeware sells a felt in an 18" length (for the cap) for $2.50 and $0.50 shipping, making it a $3 mod.

https://smokeware.com/collections/nomex-replacement-gaskets/products/high-temp-chimney-felt-17-inches?variant=1319731971

Thank you everyone for your input and ideas, really great information.

Just now, shallmark said:

I am new to this thread and just picked up my Pit Boss.  I have been reading through this thread and wanted to add a link for those looking to try the damper felt mod that has been mentioned throughout.  I found that Smokeware sells a felt in an 18" length (for the cap) for $2.50 and $0.50 shipping, making it a $3 mod.

https://smokeware.com/collections/nomex-replacement-gaskets/products/high-temp-chimney-felt-17-inches?variant=1319731971

Thank you everyone for your input and ideas, really great information.

Welcome, please stop by and introduce yourself. 

• 3 months later...

Hello,

My name is Andy, and I am new to Kamado grills as well as this website. For the past 7 months I have been heavily interested in picking up a BGE XL. I currently only own a small electric grill, as my last house was a town home that only allowed for electric grills. Yesterday I was shopping at Costco, and ran across the Pit Boss. I gave the display a brief look over, and then walked away thinking it was just another cheap BGE imitation. A quick google search after getting home lead me here. I just finished reading through all 11 pages of this thread, and my opinion has drastically changed. I saw several post about Costco running a sale on these grills for $400. The current pricing at my Costco is $600, versus the $750 advertised on the Costco website. I am curious what the circumstances around the sale for $400 were, as most of the post that mentioned it were close to this time last year. I would love to save another $200 on what seems to be a quality grill. Does anyone have any information on why Costco had them on sale? Maybe it was a one time thing, or perhaps its a seasonal thing they may repeat this year. Any information would be appreciated.