Review of 24 Inch Pit Boss Kamado

Benm3

3 hours ago, Napy said:

Hello,

My name is Andy, and I am new to Kamado grills as well as this website. For the past 7 months I have been heavily interested in picking up a BGE XL. I currently only own a small electric grill, as my last house was a town home that only allowed for electric grills. Yesterday I was shopping at Costco, and ran across the Pit Boss. I gave the display a brief look over, and then walked away thinking it was just another cheap BGE imitation. A quick google search after getting home lead me here. I just finished reading through all 11 pages of this thread, and my opinion has drastically changed. I saw several post about Costco running a sale on these grills for $400. The current pricing at my Costco is $600, versus the $750 advertised on the Costco website. I am curious what the circumstances around the sale for $400 were, as most of the post that mentioned it were close to this time last year. I would love to save another $200 on what seems to be a quality grill. Does anyone have any information on why Costco had them on sale? Maybe it was a one time thing, or perhaps its a seasonal thing they may repeat this year. Any information would be appreciated.

This is only the second season the Pit Boss has been in Costco, so it is hard to make any statements about patterns yet.  

Last year they started at $599 in store and $599 plus $150 shipping online.  The online price then changed to $750 with free shipping.  Around this time, most warehouses were sold out, but those that still had stock marked them down to $399 seasonal clearance and moved them out.  I think the online price stayed at $750 until late fall or early winter.

This year, my local warehouse seemed to have more in stock and they have stayed in stock much longer than last year.  As of today they are now marked down to $499.  I do not know if there will be any further mark downs or how long they will last.  Other warehouses may have different pricing or timing.   

The Pit Boss IS another cheap BGE "imitation" in the sense that it is a very similar product that cooks the same food, but at a fraction of the cost.  It is not perfect, but at $499 for a 20" ceramic with cart, side tables, two tiered grate, cover, ash tool, and a deflector, I think it is the best value out there right now.  I think the included accessories alone from BGE will rival that price.  I like the 20" size and am glad I did not go with the 18" L BGE.  I would not trade mine in on a LBGE even for an even swap, but I would pay more for a XL BGE for the extra space and for slight quality differences, just not as much more as BGE is asking.  Take a look at both of them in person, and also look at the 2017 Kamado Joe's.  The KJ's are certainly the most innovative but they are getting pricey.  I certainly WANT a KJ Big Joe, but having had the PB for over a year now, I don't feel I should have spent the extra money on one.         

12 minutes ago, m-fine said:

This year, my local warehouse seemed to have more in stock and they have stayed in stock much longer than last year.  As of today they are now marked down to $499.  I do not know if there will be any further mark downs or how long they will last.  Other warehouses may have different pricing or timing. 

Thanks for the reply. Would you be willing to share what Warehouse you are referring to? Perhaps I can get my local one to price match.

16 minutes ago, Napy said:

Thanks for the reply. Would you be willing to share what Warehouse you are referring to? Perhaps I can get my local one to price match.

Rochester NY. Here is a picture of the tag taken during my lunch hour today.  It says manufacturers rebate so it should apply for all locations I would think. 

IMG_5098.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I picked mine up in VA for $499 as well. Same instant rebate.

On a separate note does anyone else's upper vent assembly allow smoke to escape (from under the upper vent) with the upper vents fully closed? During assembly I noticed that it was a loose fit with the felt lining.

Rochester NY. Here is a picture of the tag taken during my lunch hour today.  It says manufacturers rebate so it should apply for all locations I would think. 

IMG_5098.thumb.JPG.1251f1478ec067760abade849c2a6599.JPG

That is where I picked mine up a few weeks back. No pics but I cooked 9 full racks on it on the 4th and the reviews were phenomenal from my guests.

I've been smoking on a 26" Weber kettle for a few years on the PB has exceeded my expectations.

Red

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of buying the 24" pit boss at Costco but I am concerned it is too big. I want something large to smoke ribs etc for the occasional BBQ but a majority of grilling will be for my wife and I. Is this grill too big to cook a couple chicken breasts and such?  Will I have to use half a bag of charcoal to do it?

Any kamado is very efficient so, no you will not use a lot of charcoa, plus they shut down well so any unburnt charcoal is saved for the next cook. 

The problem with smaller grills is large or large or long cuts don't fit. 

10 hours ago, GlenEcho said:

I am thinking of buying the 24" pit boss at Costco but I am concerned it is too big. I want something large to smoke ribs etc for the occasional BBQ but a majority of grilling will be for my wife and I. Is this grill too big to cook a couple chicken breasts and such?  Will I have to use half a bag of charcoal to do it?

If you have room to put it, go for it!  I had same concerns when I bought mine but have really enjoyed it.  You will learn just how much lump or charcoal to but in it for various cooks but I always put a little more to be sure and just shut it down and save it for next cook. At the sales price, it's less expensive than some of the smaller kamados.  :-)

The size is fine.  I actually wish is was a true 24 inch and not a 24 inch as you sometime want larger for the bigger cooks, but this is a much better size than an 18.

• 10 months later...

This is somewhat of a repost but seeing most of the mods and updates are on this thread and 99% of new comers will come to this thread 1st I figure ill add this "mod" that greatly improved the versatility of the 2nd tier grate (a few others have done this as well afterwards and liked it as well)

Unbend or cut ONLY the looped ends on the grate, they will bend open fairly easy with a set of pliers.   This way you can use the 3 legged half grate as a half rack or slide back in the other half for a full 2nd tier grate cook.  Ends up just being way more versatile and easier to deal with then having it connected together and flipping it up over itself just to get access to the bottom grate. 

as you can see in the 2nd pic... its sturdy, I was using a large CI pan to cook some potatoes. so there's no worries there. and when adding the 2nd half grate its still as sturdy and solid as you still need to lift it at an angle for it to come apart.

uDUqD8k.jpg

JdpHVVr.jpg

Great idea! Adds more versatility, especially with chickens as pictured. Ability to get the skin on the wings the right color first and then move it up or to get the wings up to the correct internal temperature and move it down to crisp it up. This works especially well with the 24 inch pit boss. It might limit the half grate on mine since it's the smaller 22 but I'm going to try it. Should work well for corn and potatoe too.