Review of 24 Inch Pit Boss Kamado

Benm3

Thanks for the post JDubU.  That is pretty much what I was planning, but good to know that it worked out for you - nice job.

Have you tried a cook with it - is there any issue with that inner felt being so close to the firebox?

Have you tried a cook with it - is there any issue with that inner felt being so close to the firebox?

It seems to work well.  

Before the mod, I had only ash left over the next day, even though I had shut it down with more than half the charcoal unburnt.

After the mod, the fire goes out quickly and the charcoal remains pretty much the same as when I shut it down.

Here is a picture of the remaining Royal Oak lump from yesterday's high temp (400-500 degree) grilling:

post-11354-0-11302500-1461080744_thumb.j

The felt still looks new after about five cooks so far.  I think that the temperatures at the lower vent are probably lower than at the normal felt gasket locations in the Kamado.

It seems to work well.

Before the mod, I had only ash left over the next day, even though I had shut it down with more than half the charcoal unburnt.

After the mod, the fire goes out quickly and the charcoal remains pretty much the same as when I shut it down.

Here is a picture of the remaining Royal Oak lump from yesterdays high temp (400-500 degree) grilling:

attachicon.gifIMG_0007.JPG

The felt still looks new after about five cooks so far. I think that the temperatures at the lower vent are probably lower than at the normal felt gasket locations in the Kamado.

I think you're right about temps being lower at that level, but wouldn't sparks/embers on the felt be an issue?

Wouldn't it be easier to get hold of a second inner spark screen from another brand, so fit inside the slider?

I had thought of that but did not find that part offered for sale after a web search.  I did not try to contact other companies to see if they could sell it as replacement part.

The Vision Classic B would probably be the best match (http://www.visiongrills.com/kamado-grill-models/classic-b-series/).  If you are able to locate a source for an inner spark screen that works, let me know!

I think you're right about temps being lower at that level, but wouldn't sparks/embers on the felt be an issue?

It hasn't been an issue so far.  

The airflow is normally in the other direction and have not noticed any sparks/embers on the felt.  I would think that the normal felt gaskets would be even more exposed to sparks under normal operation.  

I'll post any problems with the mod over time.

I just got one of these over the weekend. On the "warmup" cook, once it got to about 250 or so I heard a loud "pop". Sure enough, the top split where the screw goes through to hold the cap on. We didn't tighten those screws very tight (why would you? It's not going anywhere), so will call Pit Boss. It doesn't leak any air and as long as the cracks don't creep, I am fine. If they want me to take it back to Costco, I'd rather ask what I can mend it with.

I do notice that it doesn't shut down very well. My second fire up- and first actual cook, I tried some chicken breasts. That didn't work, but was total operator error. Six hours later the thing was still at 175 or so. It was dead by morning but most of the charcoal was gone. I'll try adding some felt gasket and see what that does. One of the factors that had me leaning towards pellet was efficiency. When I read you could shut these down and reuse most of your unburnt charcoal, that leveled the playing field. Hoping to turn that into reality.

Tonight I made some steaks. Got it up to 450- slowly as I shut the vents down too early and it stopped around 300, let it sit at 450 for about 10 minutes once it did get there and then put the steaks on about 3 min per side. 

BINGO!

Wondering if a deflector from a BGE would work as they are both 24"? We love smoked chicken and I've done pretty well with an ECB(el cheapo Brinkman) or the $75 square vertical smokers but they always rot out. I'm guessing you can't smoke without a deflector?

Also, I'm used to adding wood chunks or charcoal every 30 min or so, how does one add additional wood to get the smokey flavor in mid cook?

Thanks all,

I just got one of these over the weekend. On the "warmup" cook, once it got to about 250 or so I heard a loud "pop". Sure enough, the top split where the screw goes through to hold the cap on. We didn't tighten those screws very tight (why would you? It's not going anywhere), so will call Pit Boss. It doesn't leak any air and as long as the cracks don't creep, I am fine. If they want me to take it back to Costco, I'd rather ask what I can mend it with.

I do notice that it doesn't shut down very well. My second fire up- and first actual cook, I tried some chicken breasts. That didn't work, but was total operator error. Six hours later the thing was still at 175 or so. It was dead by morning but most of the charcoal was gone. I'll try adding some felt gasket and see what that does. One of the factors that had me leaning towards pellet was efficiency. When I read you could shut these down and reuse most of your unburnt charcoal, that leveled the playing field. Hoping to turn that into reality.

Tonight I made some steaks. Got it up to 450- slowly as I shut the vents down too early and it stopped around 300, let it sit at 450 for about 10 minutes once it did get there and then put the steaks on about 3 min per side. 

BINGO!

Wondering if a deflector from a BGE would work as they are both 24"? We love smoked chicken and I've done pretty well with an ECB(el cheapo Brinkman) or the $75 square vertical smokers but they always rot out. I'm guessing you can't smoke without a deflector?

Also, I'm used to adding wood chunks or charcoal every 30 min or so, how does one add additional wood to get the smokey flavor in mid cook?

Thanks all,

Although the Pit Boss is labeled at 24, they measure it a bit different than the BGE or Kamado Joe.  The Pit Boss is 24 inch exterior diameter, and the BGE and Kamado Joe are true 24 inch interior diameter so the cooking grids are 24 inch in diameter.  So.....any BGE or Kamado Joe accessories or racks for their 24 inch models will NOT fit in a Pitboss.  The PitBoss is more like a 22-22.5 inch diameter vs 24 inch.  PitBoss sells a specific deflector for the grill.  Search the other PitBoss threads and you will find a link that is the same price as from PitBoss , but free shipping which will save you 20 bucks.

Use chunks of wood for the smoke flavor instead of chips.  Place 1-4 pieces depending on your level of smokiness, smoke only penetrates for the first 2 hours of any cook.  Any smoke after than time has no effect.  You shouldn't have to add more chunks as they should last through the first 2 hours of a low and slow cook.

However, in order to hold the temp at 300F I had Both the top and bottom vents completely closed, which tells me too much air is getting in.

I suspect the bottom vent is the primary culprit so I have ordered some gasket felt to try to seal that up and will report back once I have tried again.  

The bottom vent slide leaks air when closed because it sits loose in its top and bottom tracks.  I called Pit Boss tech support (really nice) about this and they said that, because of patent issues, they had to eliminate the second inner spark screen slide that is used in some other Kamados manufactured at the same factory in China (Auplex).  It is important that the bottom vent be air tight for low temperature control plus the ability to completely shut  down the Kamado at the end of a cook in order to reuse the remaining, partially consumed charcoal for the next cook.

I came up with a fix that has worked well for me.

I first remove the slide by taking out the two right side vent frame bolts and sliding it out to the right.  I then gently bent the slide so that it had the same radius as the frame tracks.
Using some self adhesive gasket felt (I used Kamado Joe brand), I added a 3/4" wide piece to the back side of the slide next to its finger tab:

I added another 1 1/8" wide piece of felt to the the left inside of the ceramic opening, wrapping around to the front ceramic surface to fill the space between the left inside edge of the vent frame and the opening:

After reassembling the slide and frame bolts, I adjusted the spring tabs at the top and bottom edge of the slide with a small slot head screwdriver to slightly compress the felt while still allowing smooth, easy sliding.  The two felt additions seal both the left and right side of the slide when closed for end of cook shutdown and also the right side for consistent low temp control.
Here is a view of the back side of the lower vent with the slide completely closed:

Did you just use two pieces?  One on the door and one on the inside of the ceramic?  What about the front?

Did you just use two pieces?  One on the door and one on the inside of the ceramic?  What about the front?

Just the two.  

The one on the inside of the ceramic wraps around to completely cover the front surface of the glazed ceramic and touch the inside left edge of the vent frame.  It is this front, wrapped around area that seals the left edge of the slider when it is closed.  The reason that it also goes on the inside of the ceramic is for better adhesion since the front area is just a thin strip that will constantly be pushed on by the slider as it closes.

Also, the width of the felt on the back of door is important because it rocks the slider down on the left side to make the closing seal.  Wider felt causes binding and narrower felt doesn't seal as well.

Just finished putting mine back together.  I went with felt all around the rim of the sliding vent door.  Haven't lit it yet, but it feels much tighter and better sealed than before.  For $12 in gasket (I have loads left over for future replacement) and about 15 minutes work, I'd say this (or variations of) is a no brainer for this grill.

post-11347-0-13229900-1461177976_thumb.j

Just finished putting mine back together. I went with felt all around the rim of the sliding vent door. Haven't lit it yet, but it feels much tighter and better sealed than before. For $12 in gasket (I have loads left over for future replacement) and about 15 minutes work, I'd say this (or variations of) is a no brainer for this grill.

Is the gasket self adhesive? It's not so readily available in the UK.

I'm not sure I need to do this mod yet, as when I close top and bottom vents the coals are still there for next use.

Does the Joetisseri fit on the pittboss?

Does the Joetisseri fit on the pittboss?

I was going to ask that. [emoji2]

No, unfortunately, not.  They only have the Joetiserrie for the classic which is 18 inches in diameter.  Too small for the PitBoss.  When they release the Joetisserie for the Big Joe, I would bet it may be a tad too large.  The Pitboss only gives up a couple of inches, but when it is in a circle it is pretty significant.  If you get a chance, take a look in person at a Kamado Big Joe or BGE XL which is the same size and you'll notice how large they are, even though they are supposed to be the same size.