Review of 24 Inch Pit Boss Kamado

Benm3

With over a month on the boss I felt like I should give an additional update...  Still like the grill and the value but needed to make a few modifications.  First thing was the dome thermometer was way off I took it out and tested in boiling water and it was about 75 deg off so I bought this one from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Teika-Temperature-Thermometer-Fahrenheit-Barbecue/dp/B016VZRMXK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00  which happens to resemble the vision thermometers, don't know if that's a coincidence or not. Most recently while I was doing a brisket I was struggling to keep the temp under 275 and had to close both top and bottom vents and noticed a ton of smoke still escaping from the top vent and seemed to be pulling in air through the closed bottom vent as well. I purchased a cast iron top vent which fits from vision grills, just called vision and asked for the CI top vent for the Classic B it was 49.95 w/shipping. I received it yesterday and installed it, it seems to be much better quality and appears to close better even without the smoke buildup. the PB top vent leaked not only from the holes in the top but also from the space between the daisy wheel and the base of the vent. I also did JDubU mod with the felt gasket on the bottom vent slider, but applied it all the way around like jmcc82 did. I plan to do a pork tenderloin Friday and pizzas on Sunday so I will have a better idea how the mod's perform.

there is a thread on the top vent under the vision forum, looks like this:

VisionGrillcastirontopvent.jpg

Future additions: Like I mentioned in an earlier post I bought the PB heat deflector and don't love how high it sits up in the dome so I am looking at the vision brackets and lava stone setup or the grill dome xl indirect rack.

Edited by BRiGrill

With over a month on the boss I felt like I should give an additional update...  Still like the grill and the value but needed to make a few modifications.  First thing was the dome thermometer was way off I took it out and tested in boiling water and it was about 75 deg off so I bought this one from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Teika-Temperature-Thermometer-Fahrenheit-Barbecue/dp/B016VZRMXK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00  which happens to resemble the vision thermometers, don't know if that's a coincidence or not. Most recently while I was doing a brisket I was struggling to keep the temp under 275 and had to close both top and bottom vents and noticed a ton of smoke still escaping from the top vent and seemed to be pulling in air through the closed bottom vent as well. I purchased a cast iron top vent which fits from vision grills, just called vision and asked for the CI top vent for the Classic B it was 49.95 w/shipping. I received it yesterday and installed it, it seems to be much better quality and appears to close better even without the smoke buildup. the PB top vent leaked not only from the holes in the top but also from the space between the daisy wheel and the base of the vent. I also did JDubU mod with the felt gasket on the bottom vent slider, but applied it all the way around like jmcc82 did. I plan to do a pork tenderloin Friday and pizzas on Sunday so I will have a better idea how the mod's perform.

there is a thread on the top vent under the vision forum, looks like this:

VisionGrillcastirontopvent.jpg

Future additions: Like I mentioned in an earlier post I bought the PB heat deflector and don't love how high it sits up in the dome so I am looking at the vision brackets and lava stone setup or the grill dome xl indirect rack.

You can turn the PB Heat deflector over and have the legs fact up to create more room, you do have to contend with a wobbly grate if you don't place it exactly so on the legs.  It has worked for me and created enough space to put a drip pan underneath for low and low pork butts, but in a perfect work I would love to be able to put the legs down and have more space?  I wonder if you could grind down the legs to make then shorter.  Maybe I'll try that.

You can turn the PB Heat deflector over and have the legs fact up to create more room, you do have to contend with a wobbly grate if you don't place it exactly so on the legs.  It has worked for me and created enough space to put a drip pan underneath for low and low pork butts, but in a perfect work I would love to be able to put the legs down and have more space?  I wonder if you could grind down the legs to make then shorter.  Maybe I'll try that.

That is a great idea cutting down the legs... I'd rather not have to buy another deflector setup if I could modify the one we have. Let me know how if works if you get to it before I do!

Ok, So I went home at lunch to look at the actual grill and try out the Vision stone holder that I got from Home Depot.  I realized a few things.  

The heartache that all of us PB owners have about the height of the plate setter/deflector really has to do with the design of the firebox and I am not sure it can be overcome easily.  Let me explain, the main issue is that the PB grills main grate sits directly on the firebox edge which is much lower than the edge/lip where the gaket is on the grill.  If you notice, BGE and KJs grates all sit flush to the edge.  So.....the 2 inches or so that the grate sits below the edge is the space that we're all desiring.  

Now, if you grind down the legs of the PB deflector that still wont solve the problem as the grate will then sit even lower as you can't even turn it upside down to create more space between the deflector and grate.  The space now at least can be created by using the height of the legs.  

You could create an "X" bracket to hold a round stone, but that would have to sit pretty low in the firebox to create the space as the grates will sit on the top of the firebox and have a low deflector does put thermal stress on the firebowl.  

The only way that I see that you can create the space we all desire is to raise the point at where the main grate sits.  So essentially the main grate is level with the gasket edge.  Its like we need a rack to hold the grate up higher to gain an extra 2 inches or so from the deflector.  I don't think it is about the height of the deflector as it is more about the height of where the main grate sits.

It sounds like the stock Vision grate sits in a similar position.

IMG_20160406_212911_zpsy4crah0x.jpg

IMG_20160404_193015_zps2po4xglm.jpg

Yes, I'm researching some grate systems from Ceramic Grill Store to see if I can raise the main grate height.  Problem is finding on that fits the odd size of the PB 24 inch Kamado as they aren't true 24 inches across the grate.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I came across a cheap large grill dome indirect rack for my vision. I'm surprised that these aren't more popular. It's a nice multi function rack.

Searing close to the lump.

IMG_20160423_185832_zpsjgsuafwi.jpg

I use the large one for my Vision grill. It's worked really well over the years. I think I bought it for $25 on Amazon.

Hi I am new to this forum and live in the U.K. ( Bradford West Yorkshire ) Purchased 24" pitboss from Costco Leeds.  Easy to assemble and seems very solid and well constructed. I will fire it up over the weekend to season it.

Looking forward to cooking on it when the weather improves. The solution to the deflector setup would be great as getting parts to the U.K. is very hard.  So far I have ordered, cookbook , Thermometer , Tools ,

Regards Paul

Hi I am new to this forum and live in the U.K. ( Bradford West Yorkshire ) Purchased 24" pitboss from Costco Leeds. Easy to assemble and seems very solid and well constructed. I will fire it up over the weekend to season it.

Looking forward to cooking on it when the weather improves. The solution to the deflector setup would be great as getting parts to the U.K. is very hard. So far I have ordered, cookbook , Thermometer , Tools ,

Regards Paul

Hi Paul. I was in Bradford for the footy last week, but the less said about that, the better!

Be careful to keep the temp low for the first use to seal the gasket, as it says in the instruction booklet.