Review of 24 Inch Pit Boss Kamado

Benm3

Just finished putting mine back together. I went with felt all around the rim of the sliding vent door. Haven't lit it yet, but it feels much tighter and better sealed than before. For $12 in gasket (I have loads left over for future replacement) and about 15 minutes work, I'd say this (or variations of) is a no brainer for this grill.

Hi, I made this mod today. I also put some some extra gasket around the top vent, as it was quite loose.

The lower temperature held much better, and it shut down much quicker when I fully closed both vents at the end of the cook.

The only problem I have is that the bottom vent is now too stiff too close easily. I'm not sure whether to trim the gasket tape down, or wait for it to wear down so it moves more freely.

Any ideas/tips anyone?

01e75d7b7780db6b8c0a363af5d65ab1.jpg

0ba8f344f713c67dd1f1fdc25af1e81f.jpg

9136062c4a4e5f2e80899214f8f84007.jpg

Just finished putting mine back together. I went with felt all around the rim of the sliding vent door. Haven't lit it yet, but it feels much tighter and better sealed than before. For $12 in gasket (I have loads left over for future replacement) and about 15 minutes work, I'd say this (or variations of) is a no brainer for this grill.

Hi, I made this mod today. I also put some some extra gasket around the top vent, as it was quite loose.

The lower temperature held much better, and it shut down much quicker when I fully closed both vents at the end of the cook.

The only problem I have is that the bottom vent is now too stiff too close easily. I'm not sure whether to trim the gasket tape down, or wait for it to wear down so it moves more freely.

Any ideas/tips anyone?

I didn't double up the gasket as you did on the bottom vent.  Mine is still tight a bit as well.  It helps if you slightly bend the door to conform to the shape better, but I rather have a tighter door and have no air leaks.  When you doubled up on the top was it too tight?

Any ideas/tips anyone?

I didn't double up the gasket as you did on the bottom vent. Mine is still tight a bit as well. It helps if you slightly bend the door to conform to the shape better, but I rather have a tighter door and have no air leaks. When you doubled up on the top was it too tight?

Thanks. No it wasn't too tight, which shows how much of a gap there was! I just had to relocate the holes for the retaining bolts, and pierce the new gasket.

Yesterday, I cut off the hinge handle that stick up from the bottom grate with a hacksaw.  I figured that if I was opening the grate, I have a grate lifter tool so the handle sticking up just takes up space and was in the way when I use my gill grates.  

I can't believe what a piece of garbage the dome thermometer is.  My maverick is showing a grill temp of 262, and the dome temp is showing right around 170

The grill temp likely would be higher since it is closer to the (radiant) heat source and not cooled as much by the ceramic body of the kamado..

Have you tried using the Maverick to measure the temp of the dome thermometer's probe directly?

I came across a cheap large grill dome indirect rack for my vision. I'm surprised that these aren't more popular. It's a nice multi function rack. 

Searing close to the lump.

IMG_20160423_185832_zpsjgsuafwi.jpg

Have you tried this with the Pit Boss 24"? If so, what size works best?

I can't believe what a piece of garbage the dome thermometer is.  My maverick is showing a grill temp of 262, and the dome temp is showing right around 170

The grill temp likely would be higher since it is closer to the (radiant) heat source and not cooled as much by the ceramic body of the kamado..

Have you tried using the Maverick to measure the temp of the dome thermometer's probe directly?

It was the elevated grill, so closer to the dome.  I'm going to take it apart this week and test it in some boiling water to see how close it is.

It was the elevated grill, so closer to the dome.  I'm going to take it apart this week and test it in some boiling water to see how close it is.

I picked up a new Pit Boss on Saturday. The thermometer on mine is useless as well. I ran a thermocouple up within an inch or so of the probe tip to compare. The PB thermometer was about 40* low at 200 and about 100 low at 500.

The question now is do I replace it with a more reputable analog unit, put something decorative there, or just leave it as a hole filler and ignore it?

I also added a little felt to the bottom damper which I will test when the rain stops. Otherwise I am pretty pleased, especially at the Costco price point. I will add more of a review later.

Here is my initial review which I also posted to Amazon.  I have some accessories on order and will update my opinions when I have more cooks and some experience with third part add-ons.

I picked up one of these from Costco after considering a BGE, Kamado Joe, Vision and others. Despite the name, this is really a 20" grill that fits between the large and XL Eggs. BGE and KJ measure the grate diameter, this PB is 24" across the outside of the ceramic bowl with grids that are 20.5" and 20" so it is much smaller than a Big Joe or XL BGE with true 24" grids. This is not a bad thing as I like the extra size over the KJ classic and large BGE, but thought the true XL's were too big and too pricey for my needs.

Cons:
The ceramic is not as smooth and high quality as the BGE. Not sure that matters.
The hinge is not has nice as a KJ and the lid is a bit heavy.
The lower air damper is not air tight and needs a little felt gasket added to be able to snuff out the fire.
The cheap thermometer, like most, is not very accurate (about 100* off at 500*, less at lower temps).

Pros:
Good size, enough grilling area for ribs and briskets that are marginal in an 18" grill.
The top damper wont lose setting when the lid is opened like some other brands.
Parts are hefty and look like they will last.
Cart is solid and casters lock well.
Ash tool, 2nd raised grid, and cover included, along with cart and side shelves. With BGE those options could set you back what I paid for the entire PB!

Most importantly, fix the air damper leak and use a better thermometer and it will cook as well as any other comparable Kamado.

Thanks. No it wasn't too tight, which shows how much of a gap there was! I just had to relocate the holes for the retaining bolts, and pierce the new gasket. 

I just ran another test on mine and could not fully kill the fire even after adding gasket felt to the bottom damper so I checked my top.  I was able to double up the top gasket and it still slid on easy.  May try a third layer.  

I am also thinking about making a second top to kill the fire like a BGE ceramic top.  Perhaps the right sized flower pot with gasket on the rim that I can set right over the adjustable damper.