Review of 24 Inch Pit Boss Kamado

Benm3

Does anyone regret buying the Pit Boss from Costco?

I was not really looking for a kamado grill, until I saw the Pit Boss at Costco. I used a BGE that my in-laws own. However, I couldn't justify spending that much. It seems that with a couple of tweaks the Pit Boss is actually pretty good grill. I may go to Costco today or tomorrow and pick one up.

I was not really looking for a kamado grill, until I saw the Pit Boss at Costco. I used a BGE that my in-laws own. However, I couldn't justify spending that much. It seems that with a couple of tweaks the Pit Boss is actually pretty good grill. I may go to Costco today or tomorrow and pick one up.

Stop by me introduce yourself.

No regrets at all. I'd been looking at Kamados for a few years, but couldn't justify the cost of the main brands for casual use, without knowing I'd use it frequently.

I now have the confidence to splash the cash on a more expensive one, if anything happened to the Pit Boss, but no other need to really, as it does everything the others can.

No regrets here. I was about to buy a large BGE when I found the Pit Boss. There are things about it that are not perfect, but I felt the same about the Egg and the price difference was huge. Figured with Costco's return policy I couldn't go wrong trying the PB and I am super happy I did. Like any brand, it seems there are some duds out there, but the one I have cooks great food and does everything the Egg would have plus more room and more money left for accessories and meat.

I'm pretty happy with my purchase.  If I could do it again I'd probably go Kamado Joe just because of all the accessories available.  No regrets though, love my Pit Boss

I can't believe what a piece of garbage the dome thermometer is. My maverick is showing a grill temp of 262, and the dome temp is showing right around 170

The grill temp likely would be higher since it is closer to the (radiant) heat source and not cooled as much by the ceramic body of the kamado..

Have you tried using the Maverick to measure the temp of the dome thermometer's probe directly?

It was the elevated grill, so closer to the dome. I'm going to take it apart this week and test it in some boiling water to see how close it is.

I picked up a new Pit Boss on Saturday. The thermometer on mine is useless as well. I ran a thermocouple up within an inch or so of the probe tip to compare. The PB thermometer was about 40* low at 200 and about 100 low at 500.

The question now is do I replace it with a more reputable analog unit, put something decorative there, or just leave it as a hole filler and ignore it?

I also added a little felt to the bottom damper which I will test when the rain stops. Otherwise I am pretty pleased, especially at the Costco price point. I will add more of a review later.

This is the one I bought and is much more accurate than the original as far as bimetal are concerned. http://www.amazon.com/Teika-Temperature-Thermometer-Fahrenheit-Barbecue/dp/B016VZRMXK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 , its cheap and fits perfectly. I also use a digital igrill prob at the grate level for long cooks.

I can't believe what a piece of garbage the dome thermometer is.  My maverick is showing a grill temp of 262, and the dome temp is showing right around 170

The grill temp likely would be higher since it is closer to the (radiant) heat source and not cooled as much by the ceramic body of the kamado..Have you tried using the Maverick to measure the temp of the dome thermometer's probe directly?
 It was the elevated grill, so closer to the dome.  I'm going to take it apart this week and test it in some boiling water to see how close it is.
I picked up a new Pit Boss on Saturday. The thermometer on mine is useless as well. I ran a thermocouple up within an inch or so of the probe tip to compare. The PB thermometer was about 40* low at 200 and about 100 low at 500.The question now is do I replace it with a more reputable analog unit, put something decorative there, or just leave it as a hole filler and ignore it?I also added a little felt to the bottom damper which I will test when the rain stops. Otherwise I am pretty pleased, especially at the Costco price point. I will add more of a review later.
 This is the one I bought and is much more accurate than the original as far as bimetal are concerned.  http://www.amazon.com/Teika-Temperature-Thermometer-Fahrenheit-Barbecue/dp/B016VZRMXK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00 , its cheap and fits perfectly.  I also use a digital igrill prob at the grate level for long cooks.

I just purchased the grill and am wondering if I should go purchase the felt gasket or try to cook without it. Do I need to purchase two different sized gasket widths to perform JDubU's mod or can I just stick with the 1 1/8 width?

I just purchased the grill and am wondering if I should go purchase the felt gasket or try to cook without it. Do I need to purchase two different sized gasket widths to perform JDubU's mod or can I just stick with the 1 1/8 width?

you can use the 1 1/8 and trim it in half for the top and bottom and the full pieces for the sides.

I made an impulse buy on one of these last night. I usually do some research first, but in this case I did not. I found this forum after assembly. It looks like I have a few mods to make, but still think the PB Kamado is a bargain at Costco. 

I made an impulse buy on one of these last night. I usually do some research first, but in this case I did not. I found this forum after assembly. It looks like I have a few mods to make, but still think the PB Kamado is a bargain at Costco. 

Especially if you purchased it for the discounted $400 price, you won't really find a better deal on any ceramic this size. I bought mine 3 weeks ago, but got a price adjustment so it's like I paid $400, but got 3 extra weeks to play around with it. I replaced the dome thermometer today, but even without modding it otherwise it's been better than the other smokers and grills I've had.

I bought the spider and heat deflectors from the ceramicgrillstore and those have been working wonderfully. I'd say one thing that's really helped me is getting a probe thermometer so I can measure the inside temp without having to open the lid.

My stock thermo was off by 100-200 degrees depending on the situation, and when doing some of the lower temp fish I've been doing, opening the lid just lets in way too much air.

Especially if you purchased it for the discounted $400 price, you won't really find a better deal on any ceramic this size. I bought mine 3 weeks ago, but got a price adjustment so it's like I paid $400, but got 3 extra weeks to play around with it. I replaced the dome thermometer today, but even without modding it otherwise it's been better than the other smokers and grills I've had.

I bought the spider and heat deflectors from the ceramicgrillstore and those have been working wonderfully. I'd say one thing that's really helped me is getting a probe thermometer so I can measure the inside temp without having to open the lid.

My stock thermo was off by 100-200 degrees depending on the situation, and when doing some of the lower temp fish I've been doing, opening the lid just lets in way too much air.

Which thermometer did you go with? I just picked mine up a couple of days ago at the $400 price and want to get all the accessories I need. So far I am getting the spider, two half moons, felt gaskets (going to seal up just to be safe), drip pan, possibly another grate fro searing. Anything else? What is the recommended method of starting coals?

Before replacing the thermometer, keep in mind, it takes a real long time for such a large Kamado to become heat soaked to a point where the temperature to that top area of the dome matches the grate. Even with my Vision, for the first 30-45 minutes, it can be off 50° or better, and the Vision is much smaller than the Pitboss. I would pull it out and test it before replacing it. I just account for the difference. If I don't have time to let my K heat soak for 35-60 minutes before doing a Butt, I just get the temp to about 225°, knowing its probably actually more like 260°, and I also know from past experience using a Maverick that after an hour or so the grate temp and thermometer temps are in a similar range... I don't even get the Maverick out anymore.