iGrill 2 and poor quality probes

cybirr

After about 45 days and three uses I am very disappointed with this device. Probe tolerances are significantly variable. I noticed one in particular was clearly out of the ball park.

The attached pictures show the test setup I did.

- All four probes (three meat, one grill) suspended in a pot, not touching each other or the metal of the pot.
- I added rolling boiling water which should have been close to 212 degrees.
- Screen shots show the temperature plots. I swapped probe one and two to confirm it was the probe and not the receiver jack. You can see how variable the reported temperature is coming from the same medium.

Additionally, the grill temperature probe (number four in the series) when in a grill stops working at about 500 degrees. When it cools off it returns to function.

Lastly, the Bluetooth range is less than advertised. Outside, direct line-of-site, the range is maybe 20 feet.

When it worked I liked it. But now, not so much. I would like to find an alternative to the way over priced probes this company sells.

post-9053-0-92812500-1459378190_thumb.jp

post-9053-0-61267300-1459378218_thumb.pn

post-9053-0-15148600-1459378232_thumb.pn

Call customer service. A friend had a bad probe out of the box and CS got him a new probe quickly. I've used my iGrill2 many times and never had a problem with any of the probes. As for the range, Bluetooth is not my first choice of technologies, but it works for me.

I'm satisfied with my iGrill2.

It's amazing to me that a reliable / durable commercial grade leave in wireless thermometer system with decent range is not on the market. At any price. The Thermoworks Blutherm Duo might be heavy duty but the range of it's blue tooth is absolutely atrocious to say the very least.

Glenn

I'm satisfied with my iGrill2.

The thing is I like it too!  The sending module works fine, the BT range is manageable and the software is "good enough" for me.  It's just these probes are unacceptably cheap and disposable.  Home Depot has a replacement probe (same jack size) at a 1/3 the price.  I'm going to buy one and see if iGrill went all selfish proprietary or what.  If the probes became a consumable but at a manageable price, I'll deal with it.