Roast beef 8,16,24

onewondershow

My wife went to the grocery store a few weeks ago and they had top round on sale so she bought a few. The first one I seasoned and sous vide for 8 hours while we took my son to the circus. When I sliced it the meat was still fairly tough so I put it back in the Sous Vide for 8 more hours.  The meat was ok but still not quite as tender as I would have liked.  Yesterday I put a second piece in and went a full 24hrs. The beef was really good, it was tender and flavorful. I was suprised at the amount of meat juice in the bag to the point I was worried the meat would be tough and dry. It was anything but.. I saved the drippings and will use them for a beef stock. I only seasoned them with McCormick steak seasoning. 

post-2084-0-30511600-1459406259_thumb.jp

Lookin' good. The longer cook times really help to make a tough cut of meat fork tender. It's the water bath equivalent to the kamado low and slow style of cooking with one amazingly important difference. You can "cook" beef for 24 hours (or more) and still end up with rare/medium rare protein. I really like that. Thanks for sharing.

• 5 months later...

I've never had an off taste from the saved juices on a long cook. I would guess if you do experience that is has much to do with the seasoning you do before the water bath.  For me, what works and has always worked is a simple 50/50 salt and pepper seasoning with a touch or two of garlic. I'll sometimes put in a pat of butter and a sprig of rosemary, but that's it. What I strive for is the succulent taste of beef rather than the flavoring of applied rubs. The juices taste just as good as the protein. Just my $0.02.

• 2 months later...

Just seen this and it answered a question I had about roast beef. One of the local grocers had top rounds on sale this week, I'm gonna see if I can score one in the morning and start a roast beef cook if I do!