• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
John Setzler

Smoked Pork Belly Bacon

2 posts in this topic

I have been wanting to do this for a long time and I'm glad I finally got it done!

Here’s what you need:

1 5-8 pound whole pork belly

Cure Ingredients:

¼ cup kosher salt
2 tsp pink curing salt (Prague Powder #1)
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ cup pure maple syrup

Combine all the cure ingredients except the maple syrup and set aside.

Unpackage your pork belly. Rinse, pat dry, and do any trimming that you may want. Rub the surface of the pork belly with the maple syrup and apply the curing rub liberally to both sides of the meat. Place the meat and any leftover maple syrup in a 2 gallon Ziplock bag or vacuum seal bag and remove as much air as possible. Place the meat in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 days, flipping the bag over once a day during the process.

After the pork belly has cured, remove it from the bag, rinse it completely and pat dry. Place on a rack in the refrigerator overnight for at least 12 hours or as long as 48 hours.

Preheat your Kamado Joe grill to 200-225 degrees and add several chunks of your favorite smoke wood. I prefer a mix of maple and hickory for bacon. Set up for indirect cooking with your heat deflectors in the lowest position and the grill grates in the highest position. While your grill is warming up, combine the following ingredents:

¼ cup cracked black pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp onion powder
½ tsp ground clove

Take your pork belly out of the refrigerator. Drizzle some more maple syrup on the surface and then coat with the seasoning rub you just made. Let this sit on the counter until your Kamado Joe has preheated. 

Place the meat on the grill and smoke until you reach an internal temperature of 150 degrees in the thickest part of the meat. My 8 pounder took 3 hours.

Remove from the grill, lightly tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 30 minutes. Put back on a rack and refrigerate until completely chilled before slicing. 

Cook and serve any way you would normally serve bacon!

Enjoy!

Cgriller64, TKOBBQ, danielc and 4 others like this

Looks fantastic. Nothing better than homemade bacon.