I have been wanting to do this for a long time and I'm glad I finally got it done!

Here’s what you need:

1 5-8 pound whole pork belly

Cure Ingredients:

¼ cup kosher salt
2 tsp pink curing salt (Prague Powder #1)
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp ground allspice
¼ cup pure maple syrup

Combine all the cure ingredients except the maple syrup and set aside.

Unpackage your pork belly. Rinse, pat dry, and do any trimming that you may want. Rub the surface of the pork belly with the maple syrup and apply the curing rub liberally to both sides of the meat. Place the meat and any leftover maple syrup in a 2 gallon Ziplock bag or vacuum seal bag and remove as much air as possible. Place the meat in the refrigerator for 8 to 10 days, flipping the bag over once a day during the process.

After the pork belly has cured, remove it from the bag, rinse it completely and pat dry. Place on a rack in the refrigerator overnight for at least 12 hours or as long as 48 hours.

Preheat your Kamado Joe grill to 200-225 degrees and add several chunks of your favorite smoke wood. I prefer a mix of maple and hickory for bacon. Set up for indirect cooking with your heat deflectors in the lowest position and the grill grates in the highest position. While your grill is warming up, combine the following ingredents:

¼ cup cracked black pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp onion powder
½ tsp ground clove

Take your pork belly out of the refrigerator. Drizzle some more maple syrup on the surface and then coat with the seasoning rub you just made. Let this sit on the counter until your Kamado Joe has preheated. 

Place the meat on the grill and smoke until you reach an internal temperature of 150 degrees in the thickest part of the meat. My 8 pounder took 3 hours.

Remove from the grill, lightly tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 30 minutes. Put back on a rack and refrigerate until completely chilled before slicing. 

Cook and serve any way you would normally serve bacon!

Enjoy!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By benadriaensen
      Hi all

After a very long time of reading reviews, comparing prices, and saving money, I've finally bought a KJ Classic (see picture).
      I am based in Switzerland, where upper grade meat cuts are very expensive, so I'd love to learn more about cooking cheaper cuts of meat. 
      Here's a random selection of thoughts I have so far:

1. Some of my favourite meals ever included hot smoked razor clams and octopus. Would anyone have an idea where I could find more info on this forum about this?
      2. I do have some very specific questions, e.g.: when cooking burgers on a cast iron griddle, does the fire provide a significant amount of taste, as compared to a stovetop? How should I go about finding more information? Is it ok to start a new threat and ask directly?

Looking forward to learning from this community

Ben

• By philpom
      "Pickled" Dill Bread

1 cup of water + 1 tbs
      1/3 cup of white vinegar
      4 cups of all purpose flour
      1/4 cup of potato flakes
      4 1/2 tbs white sugar
      2 1/2 tbs powder milk
      2 tsp kosher salt
      3 tbs butter
      4 tsp instant dry yeast
      1 heaping tbs dill seed.

Combine according to your bread machine instructions. Mine says add fluid, flour, other - being certain the yeast does not come in contact with any water.

Use the knead/dough only quick cycle. Once the cycle is completed remove the dough ball and form a "log" blob. Have a pre-warmed pizza stone ready with a heating pad underneath set to high to keep it warm. The stone should be a gentle warm and not hot. Place a large clear bowl over the dough and allow an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rise. I put some cornmeal on the stone to help prevent sticking.

Place in the kamado preheated to 350 degrees setup for indirect cooking and bake for about 50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap on it.

Cut and serve - be sure to try it still warm with butter!

Look at this topic for some picture of what it might look like:
      viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2819
    • By philpom
      Breakfast Sausage

This spice blend would work equally well for pork or beef, I used beef of the 80/20 variety.  The more fat the better.

1.5 pounds of ground meat
      3 ts dried sage
      1 3/4 ts salt
      3 ts dried basil
      1 ts ground black pepper
      2 ts onion powder
      1/2 ts dried marjoram
      1 ts crushed red pepper
      1 1/2 ts fennel seed

Combine spices only in a small bowl and mix them.  This helps make sure you get even distribution in the meat.  Then put the meat in a bowl and spread 1/3 of the spices and mix with hands until incorporated, then another 3rd, mix and finally the rest of the spice blend.  Ball the meat, cover it tightly and place in the fridge for 24 hours to allow the flavors to develop.  Next day form the meat in to 2 oz balls and press to 3/8" thick.  Grill, pan fry or roast until done and enjoy!
    • By mslagle
      This is the second year we have done beef wellington for Christmas Eve dinner. Not going to lie, this dish takes a lot of prep work.

This year I decided to do everything but the puff pastry the night before. Prepped the mushroom duxelles and sauted it until completely dry. Shingled prosciutto and spread a thin layer of the mushroom duxelles over it. Quickly seared the center cut of a prime beef tenderloin and brushed it with dijon mustard. Used Oak Ridge BBQ’s Carne Crusta Steakhouse & Santa Maria rubs. Then wrapped it in the prosciutto/duxelles layer and put it in the fridge overnight. On Christmas Eve I wrapped it in a puff pastry and topped it with another layer of latticed pastry. Cooked on the Kamado Joe at +/- 400 degrees. Pulled the beef wellington when the internal temperature reached 127 degrees. Served it with salad, baked potatoes and a red wine reduction. I forgot got to get a picture while it was on the grill, and the money shot didn’t have the best lighting, but it was a perfect medium rare in the center. The wife and in-laws loved it and that’s what Christmas is all about! 

• By Nnank76
      So it's family Christmas at my brothers this year which means interstate for two families.  I asked my brother what we could bring to help contribute and i was told nothing.  It's all sorted.  But i just couldn't turn up empty handed.  

I think I'm taking the perfect thing.... home made bacon!

Picked up a pork belly, wet brined for 4 days in a solution of salt pepper, molasses, sugar and water. 

Hot smoked on the KJ for approx 2hrs (150f internal temp).

Should feed the whole family breakfast for the time we're there :-)