How do you reverse sear big steaks on the Kamado Joe Jr?

jannisg

Hi fellow kamado cookers!

I've purchased a Big Joe about 4 months ago and am using it constantly and loving it.

I'm now wanting to get a Kamado Joe Jr for those quick cooks after work where I really only put on a steak or two and don't really need the size of the Big Joe.

I've checked out the Jr at my local dealer so am familiar with its size and the fact that there is no divide and conquer setup for the Jr.

So the only thing I still cannot work out is how people do a thick steaks —think 2inch+ tomahawk— that I would usually reverse sear but without 2-zones, how do Jr users reverse sear thick cuts?

This is the last thing standing in my way to pull the trigger on the Jr so I appreciate your feedback :)

Cheers!

I'd say if it's truly a quick weeknight cook, then don't bother with a reverse sear. Just grill and go. With that said, there is a deflector plate that comes with the Jr. so you can do low and slow if needed/wanted. You'll just have to remove the plate after the low and slow, but that's certainly doable with a couple of pot holders.

Hi fellow kamado cookers!

I've purchased a Big Joe about 4 months ago and am using it constantly and loving it.

I'm now wanting to get a Kamado Joe Jr for those quick cooks after work where I really only put on a steak or two and don't really need the size of the Big Joe.

I've checked out the Jr at my local dealer so am familiar with its size and the fact that there is no divide and conquer setup for the Jr.

So the only thing I still cannot work out is how people do a thick steaks —think 2inch+ tomahawk— that I would usually reverse sear but without 2-zones, how do Jr users reverse sear thick cuts?

This is the last thing standing in my way to pull the trigger on the Jr so I appreciate your feedback :)

Cheers!

unless your planning on using the Junior for traveling, consider buying a Kamado Joe Classic.  it is 10x more versatile than the Joe Jr, has many accessories available, you can use a joe-tisserie on it and its perfect for reverse searing & cooking smaller portions.  I have the Jr, Classic and Big Joe and cant remember the last time i went to the junior over the classic except when i took it on vacation.

Yep, what the others have said... do your low n slow portion of the cook with the deflector in place... and then using a pair of pot holders, or heavy gloves... remove the deflector and let'er rip!  I have owned all 3 sizes of Joe's and if you are after a killer sear, the Jr cannot be beat.  You can easily have the fire less then 1" from the meat... talk about an insane 60 second/side sear :-)

The last few steaks I did on my Jr, I just low cooked them at around 350 and then took the steaks off, sat them under the gasser's lid, then opened the vent and cap wide open, a few minutes later the Jr's temp is around 500-600 and throw the steaks back on for a few minutes per side.

I'd say if it's truly a quick weeknight cook, then don't bother with a reverse sear. Just grill and go. With that said, there is a deflector plate that comes with the Jr. so you can do low and slow if needed/wanted. You'll just have to remove the plate after the low and slow, but that's certainly doable with a couple of pot holders.

Yep, agree with HaagenDazs. Low and slow it with the deflector and then remove the defector and let the fire rip!

Gotcha, how do you guys store the hot deflector plate? Thinking of getting some terra-cotta pots or something to plop it onto.

unless your planning on using the Junior for traveling, consider buying a Kamado Joe Classic.  it is 10x more versatile than the Joe Jr, has many accessories available, you can use a joe-tisserie on it and its perfect for reverse searing & cooking smaller portions.  I have the Jr, Classic and Big Joe and cant remember the last time i went to the junior over the classic except when i took it on vacation.

I suppose I have the Big Joe and can divide the firebox for smaller cooks, right now I don't think I need the Classic and the Big Joe gets used at least twice a week :)

The Junior would just be easier for quick things that the Big Joe would be too much for… then again the Big Joe does run so efficiently it might not matter that I get the BBQ hot for just 1 steak :)

Can you try a 1/2 stone on your juniors deflector rack, that's what I do on my BGE. Using a half stone give you both the protected indirect side and the ability to move over to sear on direct flame. If the junior has a 2nd tier, cook indirect on that, above the 1/2 stone set low, then you just need to pull the 2nd level grate and sear over the direct flame. Happy Cooking. 

Yep, agree with HaagenDazs. Low and slow it with the deflector and then remove the defector and let the fire rip!

Gotcha, how do you guys store the hot deflector plate? Thinking of getting some terra-cotta pots or something to plop it onto.

I suppose I have the Big Joe and can divide the firebox for smaller cooks, right now I don't think I need the Classic and the Big Joe gets used at least twice a week :)

The Junior would just be easier for quick things that the Big Joe would be too much for… then again the Big Joe does run so efficiently it might not matter that I get the BBQ hot for just 1 steak :)

I have a square table which resides beside the BJ which serves as my main staging area. On the table I keep two hexagonal bricks towards the back, these are about 1 foot wide by a couple inches in thick. These work perfectly for placing hot grates or heat deflectors during mid cook configuration changes.

• 1 year later...

Personally, I smoke it on the Jr. and then pull the steak and pull the grate and stone.  I let the coals burn hotter, then I open it up and put a cast iron pan on the grate rack.  A yard sale or cheap 10-12 inch pan with the handle cut off works really well.  You can sear on it, or do fish, veggies, etc.