Fire bowl cracked

Dny310

firebowls do crack and they are still usable, hence the lifetime warrenty on ceramics.  Call Pit Boss and submit a claim.  I dont know aboiut Pit Boss customer service but with Vision they said keep cooking and kept picture on file and if I need one they will send new one.  With Kamado Joe I emailed them the claim last Friday and Monday morning I got reply that new fire bowl and fire ring were on the way.  So it all depends on how the Kamado Co. handles themselves 

on the side note I been cooking on the Vision now for 2 years with the cracked bowl 

Any of the major kamado brands use quality ceramics, but even with quality ceramics cracks happen. That is why all the major brands provide extensive ceramic warranties. If they didn't crack, warranties would not have been added to the purchase package. Just part of kamado life, brother; send em the  pics and they will send you the parts. You can continue to cook on your cracked fire bowl as long as it holds together well enough to hold charcoal. You also have to figure that if your on this forum your probably crazy about kamado cooking like the rest of us and put way more miles on your kamado than the average driver.

Hold the Phone: Your script says you have a Pit Boss. How old is it. Those are relatively new, how many times have you cooked on it? Check what your warranty and or information sheet says about the warranty process and let us know how it's going.  

Any of the major kamado brands use quality ceramics, but even with quality ceramics cracks happen. That is why all the major brands provide extensive ceramic warranties. If they didn't crack, warranties would not have been added to the purchase package. Just part of kamado life, brother; send em the  pics and they will send you the parts. You can continue to cook on your cracked fire bowl as long as it holds together well enough to hold charcoal. You also have to figure that if your on this forum your probably crazy about kamado cooking like the rest of us and put way more miles on your kamado than the average driver.

Hold the Phone: Your script says you have a Pit Boss. How old is it. Those are relatively new, how many times have you cooked on it? Check what your warranty and or information sheet says about the warranty process and let us know how it's going.  

I'ave had it for about 3 weeks now and have done about 7 cooks on it. All have been relatively high heat anywhere from 350-500F since I have not smoked anything yet. Think part of the problem is the design of the fire bowl which in some kamados is a split design (I think). On this one is all a solid piece with spacing for heat expansion at the top, but not the bottom. Looking at the crack this morning looks like it cracked right up to where the space for expansion is at the top.

Going to contact pit-boss today and see what they say. I'm not super concerned about it since it still feels solid and does not seem to move, but hope it does not continue cracking.   

A pretty standard response from Vision grills, who also use that Auplex kamado, like your Pit Boss is as follows; the purpose of a fire box is to hold charcoal, as long as it does that, it works and a crack or two will not stop you from cooking. If it cracks and comes apart we will replace the fire box. if they tell you call us when it cracks all the way through, I would probably gently try to persuade them to send me a new box, now. 

Anyone else checked to see if their firebowl has cracked? I only saw this today and from what I can tell is only on the bottom part. I will have to inspect it more in the morning once it's cool.

Were you doing indirect heat by any chance? I mean did you have your fire built anywhere that wasn't over the coal screen?

• 3 weeks later...

Mine had similar crack after my first cook.  I cured it as directed and all looked good.  I did steaks on it the first night (maybe it was a no-no to cook so hot early on?).  I noticed a crack starting at the expansion split and down to at least the charcoal grate.  I didn't look in through the bottom vent to see if it continued all the way down.  

I contacted Pit Boss and they responded within a couple of days.  Here is what they said:

Hi David,

Thank you for your purchase of our Ceramic Grill. 

It is not uncommon to see small cracks in the firebowl, however these cracks do not hinder the operation of the unit.  As you do have a lifetime warranty on this part, we would request that you contact us for a replacement if the crack gets worse or if the ceramic starts to breakdown at the crack. 

Please contact our office if you require further assistance. 

Sincerely, 

Susan Tollett 
Dansons  |  Consumer Care  |  Technical Support, Parts & Warranty Services

As long as this doesn't in fact impact the performance, I'm okay with it.  

This is just my 2 cents, but I would contact them and tell them you want the replacement immediately in case the company goes out of business. (Cite the name of a company that has recently gone out of business.) 

I'm pulling for these guys but they are so new that this still strikes me as "stick your toe in the water and see what happens" type of experiment and I would want my replacement parts in hand in case they decide to go another direction. I am pulling for them though. Great to have a cheaper option in the 24 size.  

I bought mine a little over a month ago. It's never been above 500 degrees. I've used it maybe 15 times. I followed the instructions for breaking it in. Anyway yesterday 05-01-16 I fired it up and heard a pop. The firebowl cracked in the back where the expansion cut is. The crack goes all the way to the bottom. I'm not real happy about it to say the least.

My fire bowl cracked on my Vision I think it was my second cook and both cooks were low and slow smoke that never got over 250.

That was about 3+ years ago and I am still using that same fire bowl which I think if I were to try to remove it would probably come out in two pieces.

I just clean it with a tiny brush and dust pan meant for tents now, should buy an ash vac I guess.

But I contacted Vision, sent them an email with a picture of the crack and they responded within 5 minutes or less and a new fire bowl was in the mail within hours.

I still have it in reserve when this one finally just falls apart.

Add mine to the list. I started a small fire in a chimney, dumped the coals in and within a couple minutes it popped, before the fire even got going much. The crack goes from the split to the bottom.