Sign in to follow this  
shuley

Smash burgers?

I get that smash burgers are more of a cooking technique than an actual recipe. I am really jonesing to try some new burgers and I would love input. Typically how big do you all make the patties? I'm guessing anything mixed into the paties other than seasoning would burn, right? And what temp do you usually cook them at?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I get that smash burgers are more of a cooking technique than an actual recipe. I am really jonesing to try some new burgers and I would love input. Typically how big do you all make the patties? I'm guessing anything mixed into the paties other than seasoning would burn, right? And what temp do you usually cook them at?

Whatever size you want in a round ball. Get a cast iron skillet or griddle screaming hot and heat soaked and then press the meat balls down into a burger about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch thick. A couple of minutes each side and they are good to go.

I use 1/4 lbs of meat to make a patty this size...3c2328a713f884436f2ded4f807c5941.jpgand you can use whatever seasonings you wish...the idea behind it from what all I have read is to get a true beef patty taste using only the minors (salt and pepper). I have mixed in other seasonings as well but no eggs/milk/breading, etc. IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To make smashburgers you start with a raw meatball and then using a spatula you press the meatball down onto a very hot griddle. Smash it flat and hold it down hard to get maximum browning all over the underside before flipping.

Not sure I agree with a "screaming hot" griddle.  I prefer a dome temp in my KJ of 450.  I then follow the exact steps described above.  From my experience, "screaming hot" burns instead of giving a killer maillard reaction.  I love smash burgers!

post-2177-0-17350600-1460065260.jpg

Not sure I agree with a "screaming hot" griddle.  I prefer a dome temp in my KJ of 450.  I then follow the exact steps described above.  From my experience, "screaming hot" burns instead of giving a killer maillard reaction.  I love smash burgers!

attachicon.gifSmash Burgers.JPG

Fair point. When you leave the burgers thicker than 1/2 inch then the grill should be cooler. When I make them 1/2 inch or so then they are on for about 1 minute per side and they are done to my liking.

As others have indicated, smash burgers cook very quickly.  Make sure you have your cheese ready to go when you head out to the grill.  And then the plate to bring them back in to the house.  I forgot the other day and they were overcooked by the time I was done running around.

I like mine ultra smashed http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html

Two 2oz balls, 600-degree CI, S&P, and some cheese.

Put the balls on the CI and smash them as thin as you can get them. Push down directly over the burger, not by using the handle of the spatula or it will bend unless it's a vert stout spatula.

Put S&P on the raw side, give it 30 seconds, then flip. To flip, I use a bench scraper to pull up the patties, otherwise the crust will get left on the CI and burn.

Give this side about 20 seconds, then add the cheese to one of the patties. Put the hot side of the other patty on top of the cheese and pull 'em off the grill.

Have buns ready to go and already loaded with your toppings. You gotta work FAST.

If you like a bit of crunch around the outside edges, you can give the patties a few more seconds on the grill, but be careful, they go from brown with a nice crisp to burnt in a few seconds.

It's a bit of a hectic cook, but so worth it.