Divide & Conquer Rip Off?

Mr Cue

While browsing Amazon for a deal on an extender rack for Big Joe, I found some products made by Aura Outdoor Products that suspiciously look like a Kamado Joe Divide and Conquer Flexible Cooking System rip off. The product(s) can be seen in the link below. They are even selling half moon diffusers and CI grates that mimic the KJ ones as well as an 18" kamado for $699 that looks like a black KJ Classic.

Does KJ have a patent on any of these designs? I wonder if KJ knows about these imitators. These look identical to the D&C for a Classic Joe.

http://auraoutdoorproducts.com/collections/pro-zone-cooking-system/products/the-m-z-multi-zone-cooking-kit

http://auraoutdoorproducts.com/collections/cooking-racks-and-grids

Yep. That was posted. I haven't looked at the website recently, but at one point they were using KJ's photos. They got called out on this forum and never defended themselves of came back.

If that is how they operate, I worry about their customer service.

I totally bought these for my Vision since I wanted the system but didn't want to pay the KJ prices haha.

While I understand saving a few bucks, I don't know that I'd want to give a company my money when they are ripping off someone else's designs and marketing. KJ puts a lot into R&D, prototyping, and is a good company overall. I'd be PO'd if someone was trying to profit from my work and capital.

I totally bought these for my Vision since I wanted the system but didn't want to pay the KJ prices haha.

What's the quality like?

Although I can't compare to the KJ stuff I would say the quality is pretty good. I didn't get the deflector half moons yet since my whole moon deflector will work for now. I got the grates, the system, and the elevator or whatever that thing is that allows you to raise stuff higher. The pro zone fits perfectly in my Vision Classic B.

They walk about "broken ceramic". I don't hear much about KJ heat deflectors breaking. I think this is marketing BS.

When I bought my vision there was no heat stone for it so I ordered the kj heat stone with the rack. That was 3 years ago. It's handled all the abuse I can throw at it including high heat cleaning. 

I have had no problems with the heat deflectors from KJ. Mine even had a slight corner bit of edge missing where it ground the concrete floor where the packaging wore away from poor handling. It was thrown in for free so I took it. I have had no problems at all.

So, you can verify that this fits the Vision, well? I'm in the market for something like this as, after five years, my stock grates are getting beat up. I'd buy that in a hurry if I could verify fit and quality...

I'm pretty sure that KJ was not the first company to come up with the idea of dual zone cooking and half circle shaped deflectors and grates.

Probably so. I think what's spurring the question is that the marketing photos are identical to the KJ material. The products may be from the same source but rebranded for each company. But I'm just guessin'.