danielc

Season before freezing vs after thawing?

Usually I will buy meat in a larger pack and vacuum seal and freeze it in smaller bunches for later. I have been wondering what would Ltd happen if I put the rub on the meat before sealing it up and freezing it. Would it absorb more into the meat that way?

I realize that once the meat is frozen not much will happen, but you could set it in the fridge overnight before freezing. And also when thawing it would be seasoning at the same time.

But would or could it have any negative effects on the meat? You see this done in the frozen foods section all the time but I don't know if they do anything special to it first because of the freezing,

Has anyone tried this before?

Just curious about your comments.

Thanks!

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't.

However, my daughter does this all the time.  Works great, as it seasons as it thaws.  Makes for great (e.g.) teriyaki chicken.  I think it a great method if it works for you & how you buy your meat.  We buy 1/2 beef at a time, so does not work for us, though we could do fresh chicken this way -- just haven't.  Daughter gave us some pkg's she had done this way -- they were really good.  Chicken breasts spiced 1/teriyaki, 1/taco, & 1/chicken enchilada's.  Superb they were.

There is an article I remember reading about on the amazingribs site. He seasons pork butt, freezes it, and just smokes it from frozen. The only adverse result mentioned is that it just takes a bit more time to cook. Another interesting technique is cooking half way, freezing and then finishing as needed. 

Recently I brought home a Tri tip. I trimmed it, seasoned it well and then something came up to interrupt my BBQ plans, so I wrapped it and froze it. Then I later cooked it from stone frozen on my CG Akorn. It was of my best-ever Tri tips.

If you do it sure you mark that is has been seasoned. This way when need unseasoned meat you don't accidently grab seasoned meat my mistake.

My wife marinates chicken thighs and freezes them as well as unseasoned one. She uses unseason for stir fry and the marinated for one of the Filipino dishes she makes,

I regularly season meats before freezing. We usually buy pork loin when it goes on sale and will split it into chops, souvlaki chunks, roasts, and chunks to cure into peameal. The souvlaki chunks we do in a blend of seasonings so that when it thaws you have the perfect meat ready to cook up for souvlaki on a pita or kebab. The chops we trial random spice blends on.

I found Ribeye steaks at Sam's club for a good price and they looked good. I was not able to make them that day so I seasoned them as I would normally. Then I vacuum sealed them and froze them. I pulled them out of the freezer @ 6am, grilled them that evening and they were amazing!!!

I have never been a fan of freezing until i got a vacuum sealer.

I found Ribeye steaks at Sam's club for a good price and they looked good. I was not able to make them that day so I seasoned them as I would normally. Then I vacuum sealed them and froze them. I pulled them out of the freezer @ 6am, grilled them that evening and they were amazing!!!

I have never been a fan of freezing until i got a vacuum sealer.

America's test kitchen- cook from frozen. I never figured out how to embed a youtube vid here. forum Edit is a pain.

This is NOT a Mr. Rogers episode, lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uLWsEg1LmaE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great post... I just broke down a Costco run of meat today and vacuumed it for the freezer.  I was wondering about season before freezing.   Didn't season it but wish I had now...  next time!

We always rub when break down our Costco butts before freezing since it takes some time to thaw.  Am experimenting with not doing it but all of those butts come out fantastic!  I think you're good either way.