aerohead80

Reusing Lump

22 posts in this topic

Ok, so I'm getting the hang of this thing pretty well.  I've now done chicken, pulled pork, and just grilled with it (burgers).  One thing that I'm still unsure of is, at what point do you call the lump 'spent' or used up?  For example, is this still good to reuse? 

post-11127-0-79140300-1460247098_thumb.j

Yep. When it is ash it is all used up. Just mix in some new lump and keep using. No waste at all except for the small pieces that fall into the ashes and don't burn up before you clean the ashes out.

Yep - I romp mine around with a hand covered in a walmart bag or something and let the ash fall off to below.

I bag the remaining coal and re-use it with some fresh... it goes a long way !

If need be I then empty the ash pan.

Tonight I cooked another whole Chicken - quickly becoming my favorite as it tastes so naturally good, cooks in a reasonable amount of time, and temp maintenance at the
350-400 mark is easy to obtain and retain.

New_England_Akorn likes this

I've said it before, but the best mod I ever made was to build a basket out of the lump grate and spread steel.  there's a thread with my pictures somewhere in the archives.

before every cook, I pull out the basket and shake ash out of the remaining lump and add more.  easy peasy.

Great responses.  I'll just mix it up with some new and keep going!  I'm going to look into this basket mod as well...

Has anyone tried a kick-ash in the Akorn or know if it even fits?

Yeah mate, there is plenty of cooking left there! When it's ash, it's spent! If I do a long high temp cook (several pizzas) I usually take the old lump out and put in a fresh load. I will then add the older stuff every cook after that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with Moflicky.  A basket keeps everything neat and tidy.  Just shake the basket, add new lump and start smoking,

Ken

Great responses.  I'll just mix it up with some new and keep going!  I'm going to look into this basket mod as well...

Has anyone tried a kick-ash in the Akorn or know if it even fits?

The Kick-Ash basket looks like it's built to last forever but I've been using a much less expensive option ($19.99) called the Mr. Bar-B-Q Stainless Steel Grill Basket from Lowe's for the last 4 years and it's worked wonderfully for me.  Academy Sports sells it too but it's $24.99 there.  It sits on top of the charcoal grate and holds a surprising amount of lump - enough for multiple long cooks.  I once ran it for about 16 hours straight for a couple of cooks and there was still some lump left.  In addition to low-n-slows, it works equally well for high heat cooks like steak or pizza too.

Another positive aspect I've found about using the Mr. BBQ Basket is because of its mesh material, I'm able to also use smaller, finer pieces of lump equally well.  Before getting the Mr. BBQ Basket, I used to throw away the smaller pieces of lump (typically, the stuff in the bottom of the bag) because it would just fall through the charcoal grate. The small lump now stays contained within the basket and I also don't have to worry about the small pieces restricting air flow because there's plenty of room for air flow all around the basket.  

Typically, before I begin a cook, I'll give the leftover lump a really good shake so that the loose ash will drop into the ash pan.  I'll then temporarily dump the used lump into another container.  Then, I refill the basket with new lump & wood chunks and then I'll dump the old lump on top of the new lump.  I use a BernzOmatic plumber's propane torch to light the lump in several places and I've found that lighting the old lump creates no sparking whereas lighting new lump ALWAYS creates quite the fireworks show! 

This is what it looks like:  

10267899.jpg

Freddyj likes this

I have one of these. I bought it at Costco some years back, I think it was marketed as a bbq veggie cooker, and was part of a package with a nice set of tongs and spatula for about $20, I couldn't pass it up. I use it on occasion, and I believe I did try it as a charcoal basket and it worked well, but I didn't wAnt to ruin it as a food cooker. I've often thought about drilling some .75" holes throughout to give it more airflow.

I'd like to see a side by side pic of this and the Kick Ash charcoal basket to see how they compare.

Thanks for the post, I think I'm gonna use it on my next low and slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep - I romp mine around with a hand covered in a walmart bag or something and let the ash fall off to below.

I bag the remaining coal and re-use it with some fresh... it goes a long way !

If need be I then empty the ash pan.

Tonight I cooked another whole Chicken - quickly becoming my favorite as it tastes so naturally good, cooks in a reasonable amount of time, and temp maintenance at the

350-400 mark is easy to obtain and retain.

Totally agree, did 2 chickens last Sunday with a couple folding chicken roasters, i don't waste beer, doesn't seem to do much for it.  Although I did do tequila lime once and that seemed to impart some flavor.

The rendered chicken fat falling on the coals getting smoked off gives it great flavor.  Just a little salt and pepper, or sometimes some of the various rubs you can buy (but even then, normally just under the skin of the breast, making sure the skin stays on to cover the rub).

And same thing with reusing lump.  Just pick some of it up, put a firestarter cube on the grate, start it up, put some used lump, new lump, whatever around the cube and you're off and running.  amazing how little charcoal it uses.

Ive found every time i have had a overly smokey or an acrid smoke flavor its because of leaving used lump in the akorn that has accumulated too much moisture from the air.   Ive had the chargriller for almost 5 years now and the bottom rim where the ash pan connects is all rusted.  i believe its from not removing the lump when im done grilling.    most of the time i had the cover on the grill too.   the instructions do say do not leave used lump in the grill because it will accumulate moisture now I see why.