What replacement gasket to use?

My Akorn as been used only about 5 times and now the lid gasket is starting to leak in one spot. I have read some OLD posts but there is conflicting info on what gasket to get and there are a TON of different ones on ebay & Amazon.

Please let me know what you've had good - or bad - luck with.

thanks!

I would not replace the Akorn gasket unless it is physically damaged somewhere.  

The Akorn gasket is a great gasket & will take incredible amount of heat & abuse.  Usually no need to ever "replace."

On the other hand, some of us have added a very thin gasket to the system, on the bowl & on the ash bucket.  This was an attempt to help seal up the existing system only & they are very thin -- maybe 1/16" or 3/32" -- not over 1/8".  I really don't think that this is usually necessary, but some of us got a bit carried away trying to seal up our Akorns.  This did help my ash bucket portion, as it was fairly loose fit, & I did not have to bend the catches with this mod.  If the unit is snuffing out the fire fine, I wouldn't worry about modding the thing.

Try pinching the gasket together all the way around with your fingers.

What he said ^^^^^^^^

About every five cooks pinch the gasket back to life. You'll never have to replace it. I accidentally took my Akorns nuclear on more than one occasion. Turned the gasket stark white. Pinched life back into it and grilled on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

My Akorn gasket pulled out after several years of use.  I ordered Nomex high temperature gasket material from Amazon.  After carefully cleaning the grease that was under the old gasket with rubbing alcohol, my wife and I measure and cut the gasket material.  It only took about 20 minutes and I was very pleased with the material and had a few feet left over.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not replace the Akorn gasket unless it is physically damaged somewhere.  

The Akorn gasket is a great gasket & will take incredible amount of heat & abuse.  Usually no need to ever "replace."

On the other hand, some of us have added a very thin gasket to the system, on the bowl & on the ash bucket.  This was an attempt to help seal up the existing system only & they are very thin -- maybe 1/16" or 3/32" -- not over 1/8".  I really don't think that this is usually necessary, but some of us got a bit carried away trying to seal up our Akorns.  This did help my ash bucket portion, as it was fairly loose fit, & I did not have to bend the catches with this mod.  If the unit is snuffing out the fire fine, I wouldn't worry about modding the thing.

After I bought the Akorn over a year ago, and enduring a nuclear burn-in on my first ever cook, I took suggestions from the Gurus to spend a day getting to know my Akorn by loading it up with lump, lighting a small fire, and watching what happened when I made changes to the vents. I achieved a controlled temp of 250 +/- 5 for about 28 hours. I ran the test again doing the same things and duplicated the results. As a result I was able to run some excellent cooks: pork shoulder, ribs, turkey, spare-ribs, etc, and amazed and delighted my family. So far so good!

Now to the "but some of us got a bit carried away trying to seal up our Akorns" part. I researched, found, and bought some nomex gasket material, sealed the pit and the ash bucket and thought "woohoo, now I'm smokin'". However, those mods completely changed the thermodynamic characteristics of my Akorn and I began to have some serious temperature control problems. I was back to chasing temps again to the extent that I was having serious doubts about my ability to cook a low and slow brisket. That said, I plunged headlong into a cook of a 12lb 'test' brisket. While the temps varied wildly at times I did cook an OK brisket which my wife liked. With family over for our wedding anniversary I did an overnight cook of another brisket to rave reviews but I was still having temperature control issues.

Yesterday, I removed all the nomex using acetone  to dissolve the adhesive. After ensuring that all the the adhesive residue was gone by scrubbing with acetone (rubber gloves recommended), I cranked up the test again. I loaded the bucket with fresh lump(Cowboy) started it in 3 places, and settled in for the duration. At the appropriate time I set the top vent to half-moon and the bottom vent to 1 and then watched the fire go out in about 50 minutes. Now what? I can't replicate my results from a year ago after restoring the Akorn to 'stock' status. I relighted the charcoal in the 3 places as before, dragged out my IQ110 and watched the temp fluctuate wildly again until I found what top vent setting to home in on. My pit has stabilized at 250 +/- 10 degrees for 19 hours now. Close enough!

All this is a wordy way of saying that I agree with John and bcrgrill that the stock Akorn gasket is excellent and should not need to be replaced. Pinching the gasket every 5 or so cooks seems to work just fine but if you do proceed just be sure to recalibrate your Akorn to determine what your new vent settings are for each desired temp.

As a last comment, but which really belongs under a different topic, my last 2 bags of Cowboy have ranged from coal dust to large lumps with a lot of varying sizes in between including what appeared to be lumber scraps. I just placed an order for FOGO which, by reputation, has more consistently sized lumps and which should provide for a more controlled burn rate and hence a more controlled temp profile. We'll see what happens.

• 1 year later...

When I'm not using my Akorn, I take the ash pan off and unlatch the lid. I don't apply unnecessary pressure on the gaskets.  

I use a Tip Top Temp for my overnight cooks. The TTT helps bring any temperature swings to my target temperature. I don't particularly want to be woken up by my Maverick meat thermometer. There seems to be mixed opinions about adding a Nomex gasket. While the TTT keeps my Akorn stable enough, I'll leave it as is.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a new Akorn user.. similarly and unsimiliarly to Doug1234, I think is his username which has littered these rooms with questions which has made me start to think about different things. So thanks a lot!. Unsimilarily because this is technically my first grill, I had an aussie walkabout a few years back but that was really just a vessel to hold fire...lol..wasn't concerned about temps or anything like that. I really only did hot dogs and hamburgers and maybe some wings. I did a bunch of research before actually pulling the trigger on the Akorn and it really was neck and neck with the Char-broil Kamander. I got a crazy deal on the Akorn for like $230 so I just went with that. But I digress, my question/concern is with the gasket along the ash pan, this was also something I saw in a youtube video where I believe a guy replaced or added to the gasket which is what I believe some of you all have done. He pointed out that there was no compression in the gasket along the front and back areas of the ash pan which I could see as well on mine. Maybe, I'm just paranoid and would like things to be uniform all around. @TNGeezer are you saying that this is not a big deal? I did the initial burn in yesterday and I was able to hold some temps for quite a while and it seems to do well. Will play with it more this evening just to double check. But, I can clearly see there is a gap in the front and the back. Any thoughts