After taking up residence on my back deck almost a week ago, I finally got a nice day and enough time to light a fire in Big Joe! I filled his hungry belly with half a bag of Royal Oak lump and a few Western BBQ Products Pecan chunks, two Weber cubes, and tossed in a match.

post-2237-0-76562100-1460483646_thumb.jp

post-2237-0-45150500-1460483666_thumb.jp

I set the half moon deflectors in the lower position and the grates in the middle of position of the D&C system. With the help of John's "Getting to know your Joe" series and his video about temperature settings, I had Big Joe at 350-375 in no time and ready to cook.

post-2237-0-64048400-1460483792_thumb.jp

While Big Joe came up to temp, I readied the food; a spatchcock chicken, fresh asparagus, and some potatoes that will be used for twice baked potatoes. The chicken got some Grill Mates Montreal Chicken under the skin and on the meat side as well as my special kamado chicken skin rub on the top. I foiled up the asparagus with some Weber Roasted Garlic & Herb seasoning and a few pats of unsalted butter, these will be served with Hollandaise sauce once finished. As for the spuds, they are baking on the Joe and will get the twice baked treatment when they are ready. Stay tuned!

post-2237-0-88817300-1460483695_thumb.jp

post-2237-0-09527500-1460483722_thumb.jp

Mr. Cue,

You let a weather related issue stop you from enjoying a new Joe. Tisk, tisk; tisk!!!! We're supposed to be passionate grillers. I would been in pain if it was in the box longer than 20 minutes. I'd be circling it a utility kinife in hand.

Looks like you're off to a good start.

Mr. Cue,

You let a weather related issue stop you from enjoying a new Joe. Tisk, tisk; tisk!!!! We're supposed to be passionate grillers. I would been in pain if it was in the box longer than 20 minutes. I'd be circling it a utility kinife in hand.

Looks like you're off to a good start.

It's been killing me since it's plainly visible right out the kitchen window! I planned to cook yesterday but time got away from me and I had to go to work.

I was out checking on my spuds and asparagus and I hear some metallic popping sounds. Is this normal for its first use? The temp was at just under 400F and the deflectors are in the lower position. I'd hate to open this thing up tomorrow and find a cracked firebox.

Looks great!

Be careful putting your deflectors low at that temperature - that can crack the firebox. You could have moved everything up one level and still been good.

I agree. Bosco did a great write up about this. Here is the link: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/22311-how-to-avoid-cracking-a-firebowl/

Looks great!

Be careful putting your deflectors low at that temperature - that can crack the firebox. You could have moved everything up one level and still been good.

I have a classic KJ, and a Divide/conquer rack. My firebox is cracked, and the lower position is the only place to hold the deflectors

Looks great! Be careful putting your deflectors low at that temperature - that can crack the firebox. You could have moved everything up one level and still been good.

I have a classic KJ, and a Divide/conquer rack. My firebox is cracked, and the lower position is the only place to hold the deflectors

Do you have the x-rack? I have the Classic as well and use the X-rack to put the deflectors on the middle level.