ckreef

Chicago Style Pizza Boats

Personal sized Chicago style deep dish pizza cooked without a pan (boat fashion).

I got this idea from an awesome kamado cook on another forum. She made a breakfast boat using pizza dough. I knew the idea had lots of potential.

I started with a batch of my deep dish pizza dough divided in two. I made a traditional Chicago style deep dish - sliced mozzarella on the bottom, Italian sausage, sauce and a final sprinkle of shaker cheese. While adding the ingredients I folded up the sides to make it a self contained boat.

123462c1779f06a922fe179950fd08e6.jpg

I baked it in the KK using the upper rack and pizza stone at 452*. After 10 minutes I pulled it and added a little shredded parmesan, some fresh sliced mozzarella and a few pepperoni.

31664d69f134b16432a117edb50fe280.jpg

I put it back in and baked it another 15 minutes.

8492914f4de03abd92f347eaa633d643.jpg

Not bad for my first attempt although next time I'm cooking it at 450*. This has a lot of potential for other dishes not just pizza. Here are a few ending shots.

064d91e071b781851dc0367e69f6b3b0.jpg

efc635d2428be2bde85eafca102003a5.jpg

99d0f4d5ddaad2b579011f5f32a52b06.jpg

Wow! That looks excellent. Nicely done.

Do you cook the pizza the whole time on parchment paper or do you remove the parchment paper at some point?

TY Chuck0531 - I cooked it the whole time on parchment although I could have put them direct on the stone after the 10 minutes pull. Parchment doesn't affect the browning one way or the other.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dang do those look good!

Perfect crust.

TY Jrow17 soft and chewy on the inside. It could have cooked a few more minutes to get the pepperoni more crisp without effecting the crust.

Wow, That's like a cross between a pizza and a calzone. I gotta try some of those soon.

I actually thought that dough would be great for making calzones. Make a double batch and split it 3 ways.