Sign in to follow this  
onewondershow

It's cast iron baby

So a while back my top vent on my vision classic b broke. I called vision and they offered me a free replacement or for 30 instead of the usual 50 I could upgrade to the cast iron vent. Well I finally got around to ordering the cast iron vent and putting it on.  I think it looks way better and the quality feels very good. 

post-2084-0-07789000-1461105179_thumb.jp

post-2084-0-52890400-1461105205_thumb.jp

So a while back my top vent on my vision classic b broke. I called vision and they offered me a free replacement or for 30 instead of the usual 50 I could upgrade to the cast iron vent. Well I finally got around to ordering the cast iron vent and putting it on.  I think it looks way better and the quality feels very good. 

I noticed the same high quality cast iron top vents on the newer "B" series at SAMs the other day.  Kinda made me jealous I didn't wait another year before purchasing mine(not really but the new features are nice).  They also changed the lower vent area and have a nice ash cleanout on the new ones.  Not sure how air sealed the new lower vents are though. 

I'm probably the odd ball duck, but I actually like the air leak from the bottom ash door. My air leak is just enough that I pretty much close the door, open the top vent a bit, and can keep temps in the low 200.

Of course that will probably change the moment I replace the main gasket