BigDaddy67

Made my own ash basket

That looks very nice.  I am with you on spending $60 on a basket.   Before I go nab a basket from a driving range I thought I would try this Weber colander looking bowl I picked up at Wal-mart.   

post-11131-0-56915400-1461119171.jpg

The first time I tried it I used the electric lighter and it didn't light the coals well enough so this time I put a few bigger pieces of lump in there and lit them with my soldering torch.   Once they were lit, I added the previous cook's smaller pieces to fill the bowl.

post-11131-0-30730900-1461119290.jpg

Got good and hot but it was a pretty small area of high heat.   It didn't sear the pork chops as well as what I was looking for and the grill only settled in around 275.

post-11131-0-74201600-1461119424.jpg

The chops were really good and the chicken was slow cooked and turned out great as well.   Had to work with the brussels.  I moved them on and off the high heat to get them the way I wanted.  

The next day I pulled the colander out of the grill and bounced the leftover coals around and let the ash fall through the holes.    Cheap alternative but didn't get much surface area to cook with direct, high heat. 

I hear you. It was going to cost me $160 to get an ash basket to Australia from NZ. I made my own as well. Works fantastic. I have to make another one now that I have picked up another Kamado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. What materials did you use and how did you make it?

I purchased a 22 1/2 inch weber replacement steel grate for 12 bucks. This is the one that goes in the bottom of a weber grill and the charcoal goes on top of. 

I cut out a 8 1/2 inch square for the size of the bottom I wanted. I then laid this on top of the grate and cut the bars that I would need loose so I could fold it up. I folded in the sides opposite of each other first. Then turned it and folded the other two sides up and had them overlap to hold it self together. This would have been enough but because I can I welded it up in a couple of places to hold it tight. Then I ground off the sharp edges.

newb question, why do these baskets (the ones for sale and the ones made by home enthusiasts) only go up a small percentage of the fire bowl?

There are two main commercial option. Hi-que grate or kick ash basket. The basket generally takes up the whole firebowl. Lift it and shake the ash off. Light up the lump.

newb question, why do these baskets (the ones for sale and the ones made by home enthusiasts) only go up a small percentage of the fire bowl?

My basket can't go any higher. The DC rack basically sits right on it.

bcfbdef819d001efaf7af1b3ae9d1034.jpg

c9293091bf4dc03d67d76772cce88c3c.jpg

What do you have in that cast iron pot cooking?

On 10/8/2018 at 11:48 AM, Yadutoo said:

I have a Vision cadet. There are no accessories that I know of. I went to the thrift store and bought a heavy duty ikea brand stainless steel strainer for $2. Fit perfectly! Thrifty woman!

22A5D064-DD6C-4A46-9B7D-261C2F7C493D.jpeg

d

22BBF381-127B-48BA-94C9-5D136ED3DC95.jpeg

I recently bought a Cadet - wondering why you use this or need this container for charcoal?

On 10/8/2018 at 1:48 PM, Yadutoo said:

I have a Vision cadet. There are no accessories that I know of. I went to the thrift store and bought a heavy duty ikea brand stainless steel strainer for $2. Fit perfectly! Thrifty woman!

22A5D064-DD6C-4A46-9B7D-261C2F7C493D.jpeg

9E0BD1D2-E65B-436C-8C7E-AA5CFA83517D.jpeg

22BBF381-127B-48BA-94C9-5D136ED3DC95.jpeg

How did it perform? I have a cadet on the way. I had the smaller cub prior and I found air flow to be limited by the existing grate. Main thing I see with the colander is the size of the holes in the bottom.