I know this has probably been done to death, but for noobs like me who peruse this site for tips, it's a good one to be reminded of.

I just put my Big Joe through its first cook with this thing and wow.  I have never had the Big Joe this hot before.  I didn't know it was possible.  I hear people talking about how they have their Joe up to 800+ and I'm like, "do you live in a wind tunnel or something?"  I was trying a pizza and knew that people say to have it hot.  I usually can't get it above 550 and if I do, it's only after a long while with both vents fully open.  

I had it at 700+ today with not a lot of waiting.  The increase in airflow is astounding and my outside coals were hot.  Usually only the center is going hot.  I knew before I had an airflow problem so I tried a few things with the iron plate and stacking charcoal, but nothing was like this.

I know there are other products doing this, but I bought the KA basket and I wanted to give them the props.  The price (in Canada at least) is a steep 120 for my model, but it's well spent.

Great accessory for anyone who has a kamado!

PS: John, you closed your toaster thread before I could put in my recommendation.  I know you said only a two slicer, but we were in the same boat as you and got this a few years ago. We use it probably more than any other appliance.  It's absurdly expensive, but it takes the place of the oven for some things.  My parents have one too and swear by it.  It also cooks toast (quite perfectly, I might add).  http://www.breville.ca/the-smart-oventm-pro.html

I own a KickAsh basket as well and I am very happy with it as well. It makes getting rid of the ash very easy. This is another option from high que fire grate. At the time KickAsh didn't have basket yet for Joe Jr. So I got the high que fire grate. Here are photos of Clasic and big joe fire grates.

post-748-0-49039800-1461208407_thumb.png

post-748-0-60991700-1461208425_thumb.png

I only wish I could get a KA basket for a Primo, but I've tried contacting them twice about it and both times hear nothing but crickets in the background. Guess they just prefer to ignore questions about future applications for there product line.

I only wish I could get a KA basket for a Primo, but I've tried contacting them twice about it and both times hear nothing but crickets in the background. Guess they just prefer to ignore questions about future applications for there product line.

Primo is the only Oval on the market. KA is just a small company. All the other Kamado brands are round. Primo makes up a very tiny portion of the the Kamado market. They'll probably make a Primo version down the road. Being a small a business, they'll probably focus on growing their market share in the round Kamado market first.

KJ's and BGE's marketshare make them many times the size of Primo. You'll never see a Primo in Lowe's.

Maybe Primo can design their own solution first.

Agree with all your above post. But to ignore two different emails is a poor business practice.

You're right. They could have simply replied, "they have no plans at this time". I would hammer on Primo's door to design an ash basket for thier ovals. A Primo OEM basket would do very well.

The Oval design has one key advantage. Primo could build two half moon baskets that would easily fit around their divider.

I have to use the Angle L brackets in the Big Joe since the KA basket doesn't work with the KJ divider.

Agree with all your above post. But to ignore two different emails is a poor business practice.

Call Derald at Primo. He posts here all the time. He's their marketing guru and can give you some information.

Or, in the alternative, get a KK. The standard KK basket kicks the Kick Ash basket square in the ash. Kick Ash was inspired by the KK basket! ;)

Love my Kick Ash Basket, neighbor just ordered one for his Weber and Pit Boss after seeing mine. Once the Imperial is finished it will have one as well. 

Love my Kick Ash Basket, neighbor just ordered one for his Weber and Pit Boss after seeing mine. Once the Imperial is finished it will have one as well. 

Do you know which model fits a PitBoss 24 Kamado?  Should I get the Kamado Joe Big joe model?

I know this has probably been done to death, but for noobs like me who peruse this site for tips, it's a good one to be reminded of.

I just put my Big Joe through its first cook with this thing and wow.  I have never had the Big Joe this hot before.  I didn't know it was possible.  I hear people talking about how they have their Joe up to 800+ and I'm like, "do you live in a wind tunnel or something?"  I was trying a pizza and knew that people say to have it hot.  I usually can't get it above 550 and if I do, it's only after a long while with both vents fully open.  

I had it at 700+ today with not a lot of waiting.  The increase in airflow is astounding and my outside coals were hot.  Usually only the center is going hot.  I knew before I had an airflow problem so I tried a few things with the iron plate and stacking charcoal, but nothing was like this.

I know there are other products doing this, but I bought the KA basket and I wanted to give them the props.  The price (in Canada at least) is a steep 120 for my model, but it's well spent.

Great accessory for anyone who has a kamado!

PS: John, you closed your toaster thread before I could put in my recommendation.  I know you said only a two slicer, but we were in the same boat as you and got this a few years ago. We use it probably more than any other appliance.  It's absurdly expensive, but it takes the place of the oven for some things.  My parents have one too and swear by it.  It also cooks toast (quite perfectly, I might add).  http://www.breville.ca/the-smart-oventm-pro.html

I have two KA baskets ,old style in my Acorn,new style in Large Egg. Would not cook without them .Also have the Breville oven which I love too.

The reality is baskets are a far superior design compared to plates with holes. It baffles me why the big 3 ceramic companies don't just acknowledge this fact and design and implement an ash basket. Such a simple improvement that would really increase their kamados performance.

I'm sure the Kick Ash Basket people don't mind the big 3 ignoring this situation ;-)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk