Baby Back Maniac

The Weber Summit Charcoal Grill is a kamado

Somebody asked me about this a couple of week's ago and it inspired this entire video. lol. I hope you guys enjoy it. 

I finally broke down and fired it up. Videos take me a week (or more) to make. I was going to do a walk around tour but after I filmed it, it was WAY to long (and I wasn't happy with it anyways)  So what I'm going to do is just start using it and talk about the grill likes and dislikes as they come up organically. (by the way, if you guys have any questions about it. Just ask me here and I'll answer them. I won't be offended if you have questions that are rather "pointed.") 

Last night I did a test burn with 1 slightly heaping chimney of charcoal. The grill ran a little hot. I'm not worried about it because every kamado I've ever bought new did this (before the vents get gunked up.) However, the temp control was much more stable than I expected. I thought it would be like an akorn or Keg, but it was actually felt much more like the KJBJ and BGE XL. I was sort of hoping for that. Having said that, it was only one cook and the weather was perfect (no wind) so it's really too soon to draw any conclusions. 

It pretty much locked in at 265 degrees and stayed there for about 3 hours. When I went to bed, it had dropped to 250. I let it go for about 5 more hours before it dropped below 210 and I decided it was done.  Around lunch, I checked it and there was still about 20 percent of the fuel left. 

I'm really tired so I'm babbling. I guess what I'm trying to say is it ran for about 10 hours on .80 percent of a chimney of charcoal at an average temp of probably around 250 degrees. Not bad. 

If they called it a kamado then folks would shop it against kamado.  If you shop it against kamado you find lots of fantastic ceramic kamados at nearly half the price.  How many people are going to think that they invented something never seen before?

Don't get me wrong, it looks very nice and so far all I can say about it is, "I would like one" but man for $2K?    What's the warranty on that puppy?

BBM - another really good video! Well and truly said. I told folks in another forum that the new Weber was aimed directly at mid-range kamados and they all laughed at the notion. The new Summit fills a huge gap in the Summit line in that the line had no charcoal units, Weber positioned this unit mid-sized such that they could go down in size to a 20" and up in size to a 26/28" unit. Those boys at Weber know their market specifically and the BBQ market in general better than anyone else in the market. The Summit is a kamado that's not a kamado.

I loved this video. So when you say it ran on a full chimney of charcoal...I don't know what that means because I have never used a chimney. Is that how much charcoal you would typically use in a kamado?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I do have questions but I'm waiting for the next video to see it in action. I'm sure most of my questions will be answered by that video.

Mrs skreef doesn't like me viewing these videos - she's scared - LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BBM - another really good video! Well and truly said. I told folks in another forum that the new Weber was aimed directly at mid-range kamados and they all laughed at the notion. The new Summit fills a huge gap in the Summit line in that the line had no charcoal units, Weber positioned this unit mid-sized such that they could go down in size to a 20" and up in size to a 26/28" unit. Those boys at Weber know their market specifically and the BBQ market in general better than anyone else in the market. The Summit is a kamado that's not a kamado.

I totally agree, Ken. 

I loved this video. So when you say it ran on a full chimney of charcoal...I don't know what that means because I have never used a chimney. Is that how much charcoal you would typically use in a kamado?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Shuley, 

No, it's probably about half. I've never really measured it though. The Weber Chimney is as close to a standard "measuring cup" for charcoal as you can get because so many people use the to light their Kingsford with kettle style grills. Next time you are at Lowe's or Home Depot, head over the grilling station and in the Weber section, you'll see them and it will give you an idea. Also, understand because of the way it's made, it only holds about 80 percent of what it looks like from the outside (That will make more sense once you actually see it.)  

I do have questions but I'm waiting for the next video to see it in action. I'm sure most of my questions will be answered by that video.

Mrs skreef doesn't like me viewing these videos - she's scared - LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LOL. Charles. Now that's funny. I like the Weber a lot but it's nowhere near the build quality of the KK. (No surprises there though). Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but I definitely think the KK's are a better value at their prices than the Weber Summit is at. Having said that, the conveniences (Table, easy ash cleanup, gas starter, lower shelving for storage, etc) of the Weber Summit is really nice.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I am afraid my next video isn't going to answer the questions you have. I know I said I'm going to do a initial review, but after I filmed that, I totally hated how it turned out. I THINK (need to stop forecasting these things so I don't disappoint people), my next cook is going to be a brisket cook and I'll just talk about the Summit features as they come up. 

That reminds me...One of my ideas for a video was to answer the question "How efficient is the Weber Summit Grill?" I'd dump in a chimney full of charcoal and set the bbq guru temp controller at 225 and just see how long the cooker would go. However,  without any food and using a temp controller it's pretty much a "perfect world" scenario that means nothing in "real life." Having said that, I know I'd find it interesting but I'm wondering if most people would. I don't want to get to "bbq nerd" with these videos.  

What do you guys think?