Baby Back Maniac

The Weber Summit Charcoal Grill is a kamado

Yes we all agree. It is a Kamado. If they had it priced at around $500 to $600 and in all those stores you went to--it would probably would sell. Seems we all are puzzled with the small distribution and the extremely high price tag.

I love your videos and can't wait to see it doing some cooking.

That reminds me...One of my ideas for a video was to answer the question "How efficient is the Weber Summit Grill?" I'd dump in a chimney full of charcoal and set the bbq guru temp controller at 225 and just see how long the cooker would go. However, without any food and using a temp controller it's pretty much a "perfect world" scenario that means nothing in "real life." Having said that, I know I'd find it interesting but I'm wondering if most people would. I don't want to get to "bbq nerd" with these videos.

What do you guys think?

I think you should load it up with as much lump as will fit. Stabilize it at 250* and let it ride as long as it will go. If it stays in the 225*-275* range just leave it be.

I know how long my Akorn and Akorn Jr would go under that scenario. Would be interested to see just how long the summit will go.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That reminds me...One of my ideas for a video was to answer the question "How efficient is the Weber Summit Grill?" I'd dump in a chimney full of charcoal and set the bbq guru temp controller at 225 and just see how long the cooker would go. However, without any food and using a temp controller it's pretty much a "perfect world" scenario that means nothing in "real life." Having said that, I know I'd find it interesting but I'm wondering if most people would. I don't want to get to "bbq nerd" with these videos.

What do you guys think?

I think you should load it up with as much lump as will fit. Stabilize it at 250* and let it ride as long as it will go. If it stays in the 225*-275* range just leave it be.

I know how long my Akorn and Akorn Jr would go under that scenario. Would be interested to see just how long the summit will go.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I would also be highly interested in these results.

Yes we all agree. It is a Kamado. If they had it priced at around $500 to $600 and in all those stores you went to--it would probably would sell. Seems we all are puzzled with the small distribution and the extremely high price tag.

The high price tag and limited distribution is all about one thing and one thing only: EXCLUSIVITY.

Early adopters always expect to pay a premium irrespective of the product. Limited distribution is designed to reinforce the purchase decision in the mind of the early adopter. Limited distribution is also designed to reward the supply chain for their loyalty. The Summit drives people to specialty BBQ stores. Increased foot traffic means an increase in sales, largely to impulse buys irrespective if customers buy the Summit or not. Finally, Weber is giving the supply chain special incentives to carry the line. Those incentives are not passed on to the customer but rather stay in the hands of the supply chain for the most part. Weber's execs have a very well thought out and implemented marketing plan for the Summit. It's textbook.

I dont know how much trouble they are having selling it. I spoke with the area Weber sales rep on the 8th, two days after release, & they where already on back order. He had a customer who ordered three more grills & didnt think he was going to get the order filled right away.

Thanks Marty,

I really appreciate your kind words. 

Regarding the grill, I understand why you through out that 500-600 dollar number because that was my first thought as well. It's definitely not a 600 dollar grill. My gut tells me a fair price is about 1500. Considering the kegs are almost $1k and the Summit is considerably bigger with a stainless steel table, that feels like the right price to me. I think it COULD command the current price tag if they made some changes to it.  

Baby Back Maniac,

Do you know if the Kamado Joe Divide and Conquer will fit in the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill?  Since they both have a 24 inch cooking surface,  I thought it was worth considering.  

Thanks.

6 hours ago, BBQJohn said:

Baby Back Maniac,

Do you know if the Kamado Joe Divide and Conquer will fit in the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill?  Since they both have a 24 inch cooking surface,  I thought it was worth considering.  

Thanks.

Iirc, it's designed to achieve 2zone cooking easily as is. 

5 hours ago, prowe said:

Iirc, it's designed to achieve 2zone cooking easily as is. 

How is it designed for 2 zone cooking?  I understand how it can be used for direct grilling (without the deflector plate) and smoking (with the deflector plate), but I don't see any 2 zone options other than moving all the coals to just one side.  I already have a Big Joe and was thinking about adding a second cooker and the Weber seems appealing since it would be easier to move and transport.  I already have most of the Big Joe accessories, so I thought it would be nice if there was a way to use the half moon heat deflectors or cast iron griddle accessories in the Weber.

5 hours ago, BBQJohn said:

How is it designed for 2 zone cooking?  I understand how it can be used for direct grilling (without the deflector plate) and smoking (with the deflector plate), but I don't see any 2 zone options other than moving all the coals to just one side.  I already have a Big Joe and was thinking about adding a second cooker and the Weber seems appealing since it would be easier to move and transport.  I already have most of the Big Joe accessories, so I thought it would be nice if there was a way to use the half moon heat deflectors or cast iron griddle accessories in the Weber.

The hardware store down the street has them next to green eggs. It is quite shallow compared to a deep egg/kamado. I could be wrong, but I think as shallow as it is in comparison to a traditional kamado you would just have to move the coals to one side. Again, never used one, but as shallow as this is I wouldn't see a huge need for a Firebox divider or half moon.  I suspect that may be why it is shallow. Perhaps I'm mistaken. 

So I just snagged one of these today and couldn't be happier.  It was a toss up between the KJ Big Joe II, XL BGE and the Summit.  Checked out the KJ on Saturday and went to see the BGE today but they also carried the Weber.  Turns out that they had the Weber on clearance for $899 so it it was a no brainer for the price.  Nearly half of what I expected to pay for the BGE or KJ models.  ☺️

1 hour ago, Jsk0703 said:

So I just snagged one of these today and couldn't be happier.  It was a toss up between the KJ Big Joe II, XL BGE and the Summit.  Checked out the KJ on Saturday and went to see the BGE today but they also carried the Weber.  Turns out that they had the Weber on clearance for $899 so it it was a no brainer for the price.  Nearly half of what I expected to pay for the BGE or KJ models.  ☺️

Dang, that is a great price. The hardware store down the street sells em for 1600, or something like that, don’t quote me, but more than 9 hundo by quite a bit.  That beauty is quite solid too. I think the cooking grate can be moved to different levels if I recall correct. Now, you teased us, but what we want for real is PIX! Lots of pix.