Sign in to follow this  
philpom

Walmart brand super cooler

Saw this the other day and snapped a few pics to share.  It's $167 for the Ozark Trails (walmart house brand) 52qt super cooler.  Looked pretty nice in person.  Note the metal lock flange.  It's bear certified.  I'm not a big fan of the way the latches are attached - I think they might eventually break.

IMG_20160326_171721021_zpshhflkays.jpg

IMG_20160326_171733336_zpsmyynpxiz.jpg

IMG_20160326_171740393_zpsqcyzalal.jpg

For me, these coolers are more about durability than how long they will keep ice. I rarely EVER need a cooler to hold ice more than 12-16 hours.

Very valid point,durability is worth a lot. I was just thinking I'm probably going to go camping again soon and would like to have my food cold for longer than a day and a half and am wondering how this would do for that purpose.

Has anyone (here or another source) done a side by side comparison of this to a higher end cooler as too how long this would keep ice from melting?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I have a large Coleman Extreme 5 day cooler that I got from Walmart. (fairly cheap) Loaded it down with ice and went on vacation. Dang it was heavy but I still had some ice left after 7 days.

Not one of the fancy high end, expensive coolers but got the job done. I just needed it to keep ice. Long term durability was not a factor when buying it. The way I use it, it should last the rest of my life.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If I had a $1.00 for every cooler I bought prior to my Pelicans, I would have enough $$$.¢¢'s to buy another Pelican.....or two!. Ice retention is a big factor for me for hunting & fishing trips, but I also want durability. If you want a cooler to haul back and forth from the beach or farmer's market, almost any cooler will work, but when the going gets tough you either need a higher end cooler, or keep buying the lower end products. IMO, one of the best looking "bang for the buck" coolers out there right now are the Rtics. That being said, I will stick with Pelicans. Mine have served me well, and I like several of their features vs. most of the other higher end coolers on the market.

.....IMO buying a cooler is like buying a Kamado or most other products; Buy the best product that you are financially comfortable with and that you feel will provide you with a good value......that's not always the most expensive one out there.

I've seen these coolers in person, they are heavier duty than a yeti but not as pelican.

You can find some video reviews of the Ozark Trail coolers and the vacuum insulated cups followed by lots of butt hurt yeti owners trying to discount it.But the videos speak for themselves.

The world's biggest retailer did what they always do, let someone else create a market then dramatically under cut their prices.

Early adopters of new technology always get screwed.

I have an igloo sportsman that might be going back to Sam's if I can find another Walmart with the 72 Ozark trail in stock. I saw all three coolers once, but they have been hard to find once the word got out.

There's just too many fragile looking plastic parts on the Wal-Mart cooler. It's a little disappointing to not see a stainless hinge at that price tag.

Im not aware of any of these super coolers that have stainless hinges.  They are all setup like this one.

There's just too many fragile looking plastic parts on the Wal-Mart cooler. It's a little disappointing to not see a stainless hinge at that price tag.

Im not aware of any of these super coolers that have stainless hinges.  They are all setup like this one.

The older models did. I bought mine 11-years ago before they started cheaping out on parts.

Anyone have any extended experience with these Ozark Trail "High Performance" coolers?

I'm in the market for a new 50 qt size cooler, and am not dropping the money for a Yeti level one. For family camping a handful of times a year and occasional outing/picnic, I can't justify the budget (or really the need) for a $350+ cooler. But some of the comparison videos with the Ozark Trail, have me interested in spending $150 on one of those.

If I were in the market I would not hesitate to buy one of these. I have seen several out on the fishing piers I fish on in FL and the people who owned them tell me they really like them. Especially for the $$$ spent. I already own a 50 qt. Yeti or I would own one of these.