I had to have some fun with my keywords for this post. You know those keywords are going to show-up in Google. You tease us with a shot of a soapstone griddle still sitting in it's box begging to be reviewed.

It's been a month John. Not to be pushy. We're all dying to see some pics of some soapstone cooks. Soapstone loves the heat more than any other cooking accessory for the Joe. Soapstone can survive temps would burn off the seasoning on Cast Iron and temps that would warp and melt the Grill Grates.

I want to submit my formal protest on behalf of the other KJ owners on the forum. Can you post some pics of some soapstone cooks?

Pretty, Pretty, please with Rib-Eye's on top!

I am looking forward to cooking on it.  I'm more looking forward to cooking on the Classic size than the Big Joe size, which is the one I currently have.  I will need to do some experimental cooking on it before I do a video since I have never cooked on it before.  I think it's gonna do great for a LOT of things :)

I am looking forward to cooking on it.  I'm more looking forward to cooking on the Classic size than the Big Joe size, which is the one I currently have.  I will need to do some experimental cooking on it before I do a video since I have never cooked on it before.  I think it's gonna do great for a LOT of things :)

Don't let the whiners discourage you from posting reviews. Even when it does ship, it might run out of stock right away and you'll be trying to write this review in September. High heat performance would be number one on my list. A high heat sear at 850F would be a good first test for the soapstone.

Pankakes would be a more fun cook on the griddle. Soapstone is supposed to produce a very nice and even cook. Bread would be another possible cook on Soapstone. The non-stick surface is supposed to allow you to cook lower hydration breads without sticking to the surface.

I dont think i would ever push the soapstone to temps that high. I dont know what its capable of doing in terms of temperature but i personally would not do that myself. I would use the cast iron if i thought i needed a sear that hot, which i would probably never need.

I dont think i would ever push the soapstone to temps that high. I dont know what its capable of doing in terms of temperature but i personally would not do that myself. I would use the cast iron if i thought i needed a sear that hot, which i would probably never need.

Soapstone is supposed to be good up 1500 F. I'll use the word supposed, since most people using them are on Gas grills. I don't think they can even get them past 700 F.

It should be able to take the heat better than CI. It's up to you to wish it that hard or not. You might be leaving this task to one of us crazy Canadians.

Neapolitan pizza.

Is there any reason to use a soapstone instead of a pizza stone for that? The soapstone will come in half circles.

No, I was just focused on the high heat bread comment. You are correct.

Neapolitan pizza.

Is there any reason to use a soapstone instead of a pizza stone for that? The soapstone will come in half circles.

No, I was just focused on the high heat bread comment. You are correct.

Even if you joined two classic soapstones together to make a pizza stone it still wouldn't perform as well as a pizza stone or baking steel. Soapstone is not very porous. You won't get as bubbly of a crust on the soapstone as you would on other surfaces.

Soapstone is often used for baking Pitas and flat breads with lower moisture and gluten content than a pizza crust.

Japanese restaurants use soapstone to make these really cool high heat Japanese Kabobs. They use sauces that are very acidic. The soapstone allows you use acids at high temps that would rust out a CI cooking surface.

Soapstone is supposed to be good up 1500 F. I'll use the word supposed, since most people using them are on Gas grills. I don't think they can even get them past 700 F.

It should be able to take the heat better than CI. It's up to you to wish it that hard or not. You might be leaving this task to one of us crazy Canadians.

Soapstone has been used to make wood stoves for decades. I'm sure it will deal with the heat of a kamado just fine.

However, just like many things there may be natural existing stresses within the material that might cause it to pop but that could happen at much lower temps also.

Hello everyone,

The soapstone grill from Canadian Soapstone is available online and will be sold exclusively at Lowe's this coming summer.

Bryan Baeumler the HGTV celebrity is part of the sales team that will help to get this unique cooking surface recognized.

The shape and size of the grill stone will target the grill market at first and a round version suitable for pizza and the Kamado market will be introduced later. 

No matter how you get introduced to soapstone as a cooking surface, it will definitely change how you grill.

Paul Carroll

Canadian Soapstone