Benm3

New option for PB Deflector

As promised, I was working on a new solution to the PB deflector as we all seem to not love the placement of the manufacturer deflector.  It either sits too high and you have to place the grate right on the deflector itself, eliminating any space to put a drip pan or flip it over and have to contend with a wobbly grate due to the hinged opening in the stock main grate.  The better scenario would have been a slightly redesigned deflector that hangs on the indentations and the deflector itself is 2 inches or so lower into the firebowl to allow clearance for a drop pan in between the grate and deflector.  

But.....I was still looking for a way to raise the main grate.  The PB main grate sits 2 inches or so below the felt line and I wanted to be able to raise that.  I have found the solution:

Here is how the stock deflector sits with the legs down.  Good height on grate IMO, but no room for a drip pan.

post-11215-0-46524800-1462371780.jpg

Here what I found that will fit:

post-11215-0-82467200-1462371780.png

or this

post-11215-0-02637900-1462371781.jpg

Both of these accomplish the ability to raise the grid to either felt line or even above.  You can use either the stock deflector or use a kiln shelf or a pizza stone as a deflector.  I have test fitted the multi level and it fits.  Not much room, but it is a perfect fit.  I'll take some pics tonight as it was late when I was test fitting last night, but I think this is the convoluted solution for us PB owners.  The single level solution is much cheaper, but doesn't have the flexibility of the multi level.  The top level of the multi level would be prefect for pizza cooks as it raises the stone up high and gives a solid 5 inch air gap between the deflector and the pizza stone itself if your using the deflector.  Cooking pizzas without a deflector should be fine as well but may require 2 stones with a air between the stones depending on how high you get the kamado up to.

Thanks!  Please let us know how they fit and work for you once you receive them.

Thanks!  Please let us know how they fit and work for you once you receive them.

I have received the multi level already and test fitted them.  It works well.  I'll take pictures tonight, as it was late last night when I test fitted.

Thanks for this! So in these pictures you're using the Saffire grill adjustable cooking rack and the Louisiana Grills K24 Heat deflector right?

What about that BGE pizza stone you're using as a deflector in the 2nd post? Do you have a link to that? I like the way it looks with the cooking rack.

Yes, I was trying to show the flexibility of how one can use it.  If you have the PB/Loisiana grill deflector it can be used with it.  Or if you already have  pizza stone and want to use that you can as well.  It also still allows you to use both racks.  You could acutally pick up a third small grate ad have three levels.

It is the Large BGE pizza stone.  $49.00.  I got it a my local True Value hardware store.  

Thanks for this! So in these pictures you're using the Saffire grill adjustable cooking rack and the Louisiana Grills K24 Heat deflector right?

What about that BGE pizza stone you're using as a deflector in the 2nd post? Do you have a link to that? I like the way it looks with the cooking rack.

Yes, I was trying to show the flexibility of how one can use it.  If you have the PB/Loisiana grill deflector it can be used with it.  Or if you already have  pizza stone and want to use that you can as well.  It also still allows you to use both racks.  You could acutally pick up a third small grate ad have three levels.

It is the Large BGE pizza stone.  $49.00.  I got it a my local True Value hardware store.  

For someone who hasn't purchased any accessories yet (deflector, pizza stone), what route do you recommend I go?

For someone who hasn't purchased any accessories yet (deflector, pizza stone), what route do you recommend I go?

So if I had to do over again, I would get the Saffire Multi level, skip the PB deflector and get a pizza stone which you'll need anyway to do pizza and 2 half moons to use as a deflector.  The half moons give you the ability to do 2 zone cooking.  One for searing and one for indirect at the same time.  Be a little cheaper and even more flexible.  

So if I had to do over again, I would get the Saffire Multi level, skip the PB deflector and get a pizza stone which you'll need anyway to do pizza and 2 half moons to use as a deflector.  The half moons give you the ability to do 2 zone cooking.  One for searing and one for indirect at the same time.  Be a little cheaper and even more flexible.  

Thank you! Any recommendations on half moons that fit our PB?

A 14-15 inch total diameter half moons would fit fine.   You want to leave some room for the heat to rise.  For reference the pizza stone in the above pictures is a 14 inch BGE pizza stone.  So 14-15inch diameter would be fine.  Look at KJ half moons for the classic, not the Big Joe.

I went with a pair of these.  The firebox is 18" so I wanted a 1" space around the outside and therefore 16" stones.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/ceramic-stones-pizza-heat-diffuser-indirect-set-up-full-half-size-available/products/16-half-ceramic-stone-large

I also ordered a spider from the same store.  The Saffire multilevel does not fit properly as the lower level is suppose to drop into the firebox.  I will see how the CGS spider fits this evening although I expect it will need a bit of modification.  After I test fit and figure things out, I may suggest reaching out to CGS to see if they will make a version of their spider to fit these.  Stay tuned.

I went with a pair of these.  The firebox is 18" so I wanted a 1" space around the outside and therefore 16" stones.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/ceramic-stones-pizza-heat-diffuser-indirect-set-up-full-half-size-available/products/16-half-ceramic-stone-large

I also ordered a spider from the same store.  The Saffire multilevel does not fit properly as the lower level is suppose to drop into the firebox.  I will see how the CGS spider fits this evening although I expect it will need a bit of modification.  After I test fit and figure things out, I may suggest reaching out to CGS to see if they will make a version of their spider to fit these.  Stay tuned.

I am not sure that I Want to drop 2 more inches into the firebowl as the notches are already lower than the edge of the firebowl.  Both solutions are not perfect, need someone to make a size that fits.