How many butts on a KJC at once?

How many pork butts have you folks cooked at once in a KJC? I'm trying to load the freezer up in preparation for the arrival of a new kiddo and am wondering how many you can fit/have fit in the past.  I'll be using the costco butts which tend to be 8-10lbs.  I think two is a pretty tight squeeze on the main grill and am wondering if I can do a third on the extender but am not sure how that works.  Has anyone tried ti lay them on their sides?  Would that get you one more on the main grill?

Also, what is the timing you've experienced with two butts (approximate)?  If you've done two on the main grate with a third on the extender I'd be interested in the cook time (approximate, I know, I know...its done when its done).

I'll probably be running at 275-300 on the maverick.

Thanks for the input Gurus!

UTVol - congrats to you and your Bride on the pending new arrival! That's wonderful.

Be careful to leave about an inch between the butts. Whatever you do, do NOT butt them up one against the other. That's the surest way to a VERY long cook. Butted up against each other makes them cook like a single huge clod of meat and it'll take forever to cook.

To use an extender, you can get 3 or 4 butts total. No big deal. Just put in the extender, place the meat onmthemgrill, and get after it. Again, don't let the butts on the extender touch.

Have fun and stock up on sleep now, because soon, sleep will be just a happy memory! ;) The most peaceful moments of my life were the 2AM feedings with both my kids. I remember those days and I smile.

Thanks CC! I was able to avoid the middle of the night feedings on the first one but we'll see how he does when his sister cries in the middle of the night. I expect double duty is coming my way.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I have done three 8 pounders laying on their sides and one on the extender. I trimmed off the fat cap on all and trimmed the butts to make sure they fit underneath the extender. I cooked for about 12 hours at 275. Had to pull the whole system out and give a stir to coal then went another two hours. They turned out okay, but not the best I've had. I was also using the big joe and the jr cooking butts at the same time did a total of 12 butts total. It was fun!

I did four on my Akorn with the warming rack, three in the main grate and the one up top. I wouldn't recommend doing it again but it worked. The two cookers are similar in size but the KJC has much better racking options so I'd say you could comfortably fit three or four with an extender. I'd probably go ahead and debone/tie them for uniformity and fit to make it go as smooth as possible. This is all speculation though as I've only cooked on the Akorn and now a Big Joe.

Best of luck to you and congrats on the new addition!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tarnation
      Prepped this little half butt for a work Halloween potluck last night, cooking it tonight.  Just a little teaser before I tucked in and put it to bed.

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      Thawed the frozen leftover pork, acquired necessary ingredients.

rehydrated the guajillo peppers, then:
      all Kamado, all the way!

Onion, pepper, garlic, oregano simmering into a  paste.

Drained the hominy, added the water from the pepper rehydration, a bay leaf and let that simmer for a while.
      Added the pork and guajillo paste and let that simmer.

Pozole !

• By Brickyoung
      Hey family,

I plan to smoke 7 pork butts on my Big Joe using my extender rack.  All the butts weigh between 7-8 pounds.  

Should I maintain the general rule of approx 1.5 -2 hours cook time at 225? With that, is it fair to say this cool will be approx 16 hours for all 7 butts? I just want to make sure the extra capacity doesn’t affect my cook time.

I’d appreciate advice based on prior experience from you folks. 

Thanks!
    • By cwhuling
      I ended up with a mostly free Saturday and decided to cook a couple of Boston Butts.  I finished my other chores early and decided to make home made rolls and Cole slaw to go with the pork.  This was the first time I brined a Boston Butt and was pleased with the outcome.  

• By Logan
      So a couple of days ago I was in the store and they had picnic shoulder (pork butt with bone-in, skin on) for $0.98/lb and I thought it would be a perfect fit for the Joetisserie: low and slow would make the skin too rubbery so the higher heat should crisp it up nicely (I'd done a porchetta before and it turned out fabulously)

I followed one of John's videos for the rub idea, though he didn't give amounts. I used a mustard base and roughly about
      1/2 c salt
      1/3 c paprika
      1/3 c chili powder
      1/3 c granulated garlic
      1/3 c onion powder

And held the Joe steady at about 310 for the dome temp. To help with the acrid smoke from all the drippings I slid the bottom vent to only about a 1/4 inch open after a while and kept the top wide open. Actually used the Smobot with this one just for fun and it seemed to work pretty well at keeping the temps where I wanted. Total cook time was right at about 5 hours for a 10 lb picnic shoulder. I was shooting for about 185+ degrees F throughout. Then I let it rest tented in foil about an hour.

I don't know that it shows up very well in the pictures, but that was one of the juiciest pieces of meat I've ever had and so tender that a knife wasn't necessary. The flavor throughout was ridiculous. I'd been assuming the inner portion wouldn't get much flavor and the rub would only be on the surface but for some reason the flavor seemed to have permeated everywhere. The skin turned out very crispy.

Definitely one to do again!