calling all mower gurus

philpom

I have had two Sears mowers. Both were made by Husqavarna. The first was an automatic and the second is a standard shift that I still have.

The automatic was much better because I could change speed on the move. With the standard I have to come to a complete stop.to change speed setting.

I can't say that I love either of them. The automatic just quit moving one day after about ten years of use.

AYP makes these mowers.

I had a Husqvarna GT52XLS.I liked everything about it for the money ,kawasaki power , fabricated deck ,heavy transmission and it didn't break the bank. I sold it and bought a John Deere 318. 1992 model with 600 hours. Let me just say,they truly don't build them like this any longer.These are true sub compact tractors.

All my outdoor power equipment is Husqvarna with the exception of my TSC Huskee high wheel push mower. That mower had been to you know where and back over the last 11 years and it still mows as good as the day it was bought. The only major thing I've had to do to it was replace the gas tank, a whopping $20 cost. All that said, I'll likely get a Husqvarna mower when the old mower gives up the ghost but it's not looking like a near future event. I think the craftsmen mowers are just rebranded MTD units and Husqvarna owns MTD or has some sort of relationship with them, you're likely getting a similar product either way.

I look for the components rather than overall brand. Briggs or Kawasaki engine, rolled or welded steel deck, not stamped, stuff like that. I've had great luck with B&S engines, just keep the air filters and oil changed/clean and they'll last a lifetime.

MTD makes

Craftsman riding mowers
Craftsman Pro series yard tractors
Cub Cadet
and many many other "brands".

Husqvarna makes

Craftsman GT series
and some others

Chances are good that if you buy from a big box store no matter the name you are buying an MTD. 

Husqvarna does not own MTD.

wikipedia

MTD Products is an American manufacturer of outdoor power equipment for the mass market. Headquartered in ClevelandOhioUSA, the company began in 1932 and is a family-owned, private company. It originated as a tool and die maker (Modern Tool and Die Company). MTD's main competitors are StihlAriensSnapper IncJohn Deere and Husqvarna. Over the years, MTD acquired the Troy-Bilt, Bolens, Cub Cadet, and Yard-Man brands and/or companies.

My circa 1990's Craftsman GT5000 is giving fits.  (perfect timing with the move right?).  I want to get the right tractor to replace it.  Thoughts?  I need some ground engagement ability and it should be durable.  I have whittled it down to two  options.

Craftsman 54" Fast Auto 24 HP Briggs & Stratton V-Twin Turn Tight® Garden Tractor

or

Husqvarna NEW GTH52Xls 24-HP V-Twin Dual Hydrostatic 52-in Garden Tractor

Killing me, which should I pick?  Any opinions are welcome.  

I must be able to tow and use on uneven terrain.

My price range is ~3K so outside of these options opinions are welcome.

For that price range the Husqvarna GT52XLS with kawasaki power would be my top choice. The only other power I would consider for that range would be Honda or B&S Vanguard v-twins. These two engines use to be built on the same short block produced in japan. I am currently in search of a low hour John Deere 425 lawn and garden tractor , possibly the finest LGT ever built. Very nice sub compact tractor. The old deere tractors with hydraulic spools will go a few thousand hours with proper care.

Well now I can not find it. There is a site that breaks down all the major companies as to quality and dependability and company history.

They said that companies like Cub Cadet  sell the same brands by model in both the big box and dealer.

With some of the companies the professional lines were only for sale at the dealer but the lower level lines were available at both and identical.

There are a number of people saying that they have found the price to be the same at the dealer as the big box store. That was the case with the Toro push mower that we bought.

Well now I can not find it. There is a site that breaks down all the major companies as to quality and dependability and company history.

They said that companies like Cub Cadet sell the same brands by model in both the big box and dealer.

With some of the companies the professional lines were only for sale at the dealer but the lower level lines were available at both.

There are a number of people saying that they have found the price to be the same at the dealer as the big box store. That was the case with the Toro push mower that we bought.

Maybe here:

http://todaysmower.com/2014-lawn-yard-garden-tractor-manufacturers/

It's an older list but I don't think much has changed.

MTD makes

Craftsman riding mowers

Cub Cadet

and many many other "brands".

Husqvarna makes

Craftsman GT series

and some others

Chances are good that if you buy from a big box store no matter the name you are buying an MTD. 

wikipedia

MTD Products is an American manufacturer of outdoor power equipment for the mass market. Headquartered in ClevelandOhioUSA, the company began in 1932 and is a family-owned, private company. It originated as a tool and die maker (Modern Tool and Die Company). MTD's main competitors are StihlAriensSnapper IncJohn Deere and Husqvarna. Over the years, MTD acquired the Troy-Bilt, Bolens, Cub Cadet, and Yard-Man brands and/or companies.

I respect a man that does his research. You get far more for your money if you do the home work. All corporations have entered the consumer market to stay profitable. If you want quality you have to become informed. The sad truth is most companies only produce a couple of quality mowers in the sub 3500.00 range any longer. If you want a quality John Deere on the scale of the old 425 you have to go to the 500 or 700 series now and lay out 8 grand plus for it. I would rather restore a classic. I am restoring a 1985 Troy Bilt horse tiller at the moment, when I am done it will be like new and last another 30 years.  

I have had two Sears mowers. Both were made by Husqavarna. The first was an automatic and the second is a standard shift that I still have.

The automatic was much better because I could change speed on the move. With the standard I have to come to a complete stop.to change speed setting.

I can't say that I love either of them. The automatic just quit moving one day after about ten years of use.

AYP makes these mowers.

The repair man from Sears told me that the newest mower is a Husqavarna. The torque from the engine reamed the mounting holes for the transmission and they installed a new one under warranty. The one that quit moving is identical to the point that parts interchange.

They said that companies like Cub Cadet sell the same brands by model in both the big box and dealer.

With some of the companies the professional lines were only for sale at the dealer but the lower level lines were available at both.

Maybe here:

http://todaysmower.com/2014-lawn-yard-garden-tractor-manufacturers/

It's an older list but I don't think much has changed.

Yes that was the site.

For uneven land and towing, I'd try to find a used Deere GX series tractor.  You should be able to find one in the ~200 hour range for ~3k.  I did and it's a great garden tractor (GX325).  Stay away from the lawn stuff you find in big box stores if you need to tow and have uneven / hilly land.

MTD makes

Craftsman riding mowers

Cub Cadet

and many many other "brands".Husqvarna makes

Craftsman GT series

and some others

wikipediaMTD Products is an American manufacturer of outdoor power equipment for the mass market. Headquartered in ClevelandOhioUSA, the company began in 1932 and is a family-owned, private company. It originated as a tool and die maker (Modern Tool and Die Company). MTD's main competitors are StihlAriensSnapper IncJohn Deere and Husqvarna. Over the years, MTD acquired the Troy-Bilt, Bolens, Cub Cadet, and Yard-Man brands and/or companies.

Husqvarna is owned by AYP and has been since 1978, that's where I got my facts crossed. I knew they were inline with one of the big multi-brand manufactures though.

I'd still get a Husqvarna for myself simply because I like having stuff of one particular brand. I also like that my Husqvarna 2 stroke weedwhacker, backpack blower, and chainsaw all run the same 50:1 mix and I don't have to have a can of 40:1 around as well.

I just ordered the Craftsman GT5600

Made by Husqvarna, Accepts a sleeve hitch, dozer blade, front material dump bucket and several rear earth attachments.  The main difference between this one and the Husqvarna GTH52XLS is that the Craftsman has a 6" turning radius versus 18" turning radius.  This will be great.  Also, it goes 8MPH instead of only 5MPH.  Other than that they are almost the same, Craftsman even says their attachments are for their GT machines or Husqvarna.

Thanks for the info, very interesting stuff to me!