What is a smash burger?

Folks, I haven't been on this forum real long, or cooking on a kamado that long really.  I read about smash burgers on here a good bit, and was just wondering, what IS a smash burger?  I love to do burgers, my wife has a killer recipe that we mix up from loose hamburger, but if there is an aspect of burger making I am missing, I am all eyes and ears.    Thanks.

Lets talk a little bit about the 'why' of smashing. Basically, the science of what makes smashing a patty a viable cooking option is the Maillard reaction [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction]

Basically, what you are trying to do is maximize the surface area contact between your burger meat and the griddle or other flat surface on which you are cooking.

You'll see many opinions on how much to smash, smash on both sides, smash with onions etc.. I'd suggest experiment and figure out what you prefer. In my opinion I like to smash once, with no onions or anything like that... just a nice maxima of surface content, and no smash after flipping, or you risk smashing out too much of the juices.

I don't know all the science about the smash burger.  What I do know is you can't just throw a raw burger on the grill, smash it and try to flip it.  It will stick every time.

Folks, I haven't been on this forum real long, or cooking on a kamado that long really. I read about smash burgers on here a good bit, and was just wondering, what IS a smash burger? I love to do burgers, my wife has a killer recipe that we mix up from loose hamburger, but if there is an aspect of burger making I am missing, I am all eyes and ears. Thanks.

Lets talk a little bit about the 'why' of smashing. Basically, the science of what makes smashing a patty a viable cooking option is the Maillard reaction [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction]

Basically, what you are trying to do is maximize the surface area contact between your burger meat and the griddle or other flat surface on which you are cooking.

You'll see many opinions on how much to smash, smash on both sides, smash with onions etc.. I'd suggest experiment and figure out what you prefer. In my opinion I like to smash once, with no onions or anything like that... just a nice maxima of surface content, and no smash after flipping, or you risk smashing out too much of the juices.

I don't know all the science about the smash burger. What I do know is you can't just throw a raw burger on the grill, smash it and try to flip it. It will stick every time.
The use of the clarified butter helps alevate that issue.

Folks, I haven't been on this forum real long, or cooking on a kamado that long really. I read about smash burgers on here a good bit, and was just wondering, what IS a smash burger? I love to do burgers, my wife has a killer recipe that we mix up from loose hamburger, but if there is an aspect of burger making I am missing, I am all eyes and ears. Thanks.

Lets talk a little bit about the 'why' of smashing. Basically, the science of what makes smashing a patty a viable cooking option is the Maillard reaction [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction]

You'll see many opinions on how much to smash, smash on both sides, smash with onions etc.. I'd suggest experiment and figure out what you prefer. In my opinion I like to smash once, with no onions or anything like that... just a nice maxima of surface content, and no smash after flipping, or you risk smashing out too much of the juices.

I don't know all the science about the smash burger. What I do know is you can't just throw a raw burger on the grill, smash it and try to flip it. It will stick every time.
You don't want to put it directly on a grill. It must be on a griddle or other flat surface. And then you need a nice spatula to really get under it and get all that great crusty carmelization up with it. Well seasoned cast iron is probably the best surface for this.. the seasoning on the cast iron acts as a natural nonstick surface

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Many thanks to all for your replies!  I currently do not have the cast iron griddle accessory, or the Grill Grates.  However, this smash burger idea just may call for one or the other.  How do I break the news to the wife?  I think I sorta implied that if we purchase a KJ grill, we will never have to buy another grill, or any other grilling items.  Little did I know...that was just the START!   Love my grill, and love this forum.  Thanks again.

I'll tell you how to break the news to your Bride. Remember the story Stone Soup? Use that tactic. Next time you have the basic burger, just kind of sigh, shake your head, and mumble something about Smash Burgers under your breath. Your Bride will ask what's up and you explain the Smash Burger concept, a burger taken to its outer limits. Then explain Grill Grates, their versatility, and get her Grill Grates for her birthday, anniversary, birth of a child, etc. You see how this deal is done?!?

There, now that wasn't hard, was it?

Besides, Grill Grates costs much less than most lady's purses and shoes. That a look in her closet and count the shoes, purses, etc. and man up and just go order a set of Grill Grates. GGs cost a helluva lot less than what your wife probably spends on that shoes, purses, and makeup in a year.

Of course, you should know you're taking advice from a guy who is twice divorced and thinks a long term relationship is a 3 day weekend! :lol:

Many thanks to all for your replies! I currently do not have the cast iron griddle accessory, or the Grill Grates. However, this smash burger idea just may call for one or the other. How do I break the news to the wife? I think I sorta implied that if we purchase a KJ grill, we will never have to buy another grill, or any other grilling items. Little did I know...that was just the START! Love my grill, and love this forum. Thanks again.

I have the CI griddle for my bigjoe and while it is awesome, you could try it with a CI skillet. When the wife tells you how good it is, tell her they would be easier with xxxx...

Look for a sweet coupon deal from Ace Hardware and order a half moon griddle. I think they had a 25% off promo last week and the Classic griddle was eligible, someone posted about scoring one for less than $40. Not a bad deal for an accessory that will last as long as the grill itself.

I'll tell you how to break the news to your Bride. Remember the story Stone Soup? Use that tactic. Next time you have the basic burger, just kind of sigh, shake your head, and mumble something about Smash Burgers under your breath. Your Bride will ask what's up and you explain the Smash Burger concept, a burger taken to its outer limits. Then explain Grill Grates, their versatility, and get her Grill Grates for her birthday, anniversary, birth of a child, etc. You see how this deal is done?!?

There, now that wasn't hard, was it?

Besides, Grill Grates costs much less than most lady's purses and shoes. That a look in her closet and count the shoes, purses, etc. and man up and just go order a set of Grill Grates. GGs cost a helluva lot less than what your wife probably spends on that shoes, purses, and makeup in a year.

Of course, you should know you're taking advice from a guy who is twice divorced and thinks a long term relationship is a 3 day weekend! :lol:

I like the way you think!   

Look for a sweet coupon deal from Ace Hardware and order a half moon griddle. I think they had a 25% off promo last week and the Classic griddle was eligible, someone posted about scoring one for less than $40. Not a bad deal for an accessory that will last as long as the grill itself.

Thanks, I keep forgetting that Ace Hardware carries that sort of thing.   Here in southern Pennsylvania I have never seen it in their stores, but I could order it online and have it delivered to the local store.  Thanks again.

I bought this specifically to try the smashburger with: http://www.amazon.com/Useful-UH-CI196-Reversible-Pizza-Griddle/dp/B01AII10C0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Not bad for $25 shipped I think.  Great size and multiple uses.

Right on!  I think that will be perfect.  I could even use that for eggs and bacon some morning.  Really appreciate that link.