Kj lump vs frontier lump

Recently I picked up 2 bags of each. I opened the kj lump first and right away I was pleased with the size of the pieces. I use a Mapp torch to light my lump. The kj sparked a little when I held the torch right on it. I had np putting big pieces down first as the bag was loaded with them. This was the best lump I have used by far. Now on to the frontier lump. My experience was basically the oppisite. Right from the beginning I was dismayed by how small the pieces were. I have yet to see one the size of my fist. Most are a little bigger than a golf ball. Today I did the best I could to find several of the biggest pieces .  They were not very big but I layerd them down to leave room for air flow. When I tried using my torch I practically set myself on fire with the amount of sparking and popping going  on. Then I went and got 3 starter cubes. I spread them out and lit them. Ten minutes later I closed my grill and watched it stuggle to reach 250 with the vents wide open. I used my ash tool to rake an opening in the middle of the pile right down to the fire grate. Then I closed the lid and saw almost instant results as the temp climbed.  I held her at 600 for 15-minutes to burn off any gunk inside. This is not the made in USA frontier lump which is supposedly a little better. In conclusion I really wish I had a steady affordable supply of kj lump. The frontier lump while cheap at bjs is a no go for me unless the second bag ends up being remarkably better. I'm pretty sure the entire end of the bag will end up being dust. 

My seach continues for  a reliable lump at decent price. I live on long Island so most people don't even know what lump is.

Frontier is among my least favorites. I feel like I need asbestos underwear when I try to light it. Have you used Royal Oak lump? I use it as my daily driver and find it is excellent. Occasionally you get a mishandled bag with a lot of smalls, but it's generally a good mix. I frequently mix it with KJ (my favorite) to make the KJ easier to light and to save money. It's a fair value, even if they've recently reduced the size of the large bags [emoji1361]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently I picked up 2 bags of each. I opened the kj lump first and right away I was pleased with the size of the pieces. I use a Mapp torch to light my lump. The kj sparked a little when I held the torch right on it. I had np putting big pieces down first as the bag was loaded with them. This was the best lump I have used by far. Now on to the frontier lump. My experience was basically the oppisite. Right from the beginning I was dismayed by how small the pieces were. I have yet to see one the size of my fist. Most are a little bigger than a golf ball. Today I did the best I could to find several of the biggest pieces . They were not very big but I layerd them down to leave room for air flow. When I tried using my torch I practically set myself on fire with the amount of sparking and popping going on. Then I went and got 3 starter cubes. I spread them out and lit them. Ten minutes later I closed my grill and watched it stuggle to reach 250 with the vents wide open. I used my ash tool to rake an opening in the middle of the pile right down to the fire grate. Then I closed the lid and saw almost instant results as the temp climbed. I held her at 600 for 15-minutes to burn off any gunk inside. This is not the made in USA frontier lump which is supposedly a little better. In conclusion I really wish I had a steady affordable supply of kj lump. The frontier lump while cheap at bjs is a no go for me unless the second bag ends up being remarkably better. I'm pretty sure the entire end of the bag will end up being dust.

My seach continues for a reliable lump at decent price. I live on long Island so most people don't even know what lump is.

I have gone through a few bags of frontier, I think KJ lump lasts longer. Hopefully that helps you

Frontier is among my least favorites. I feel like I need asbestos underwear when I try to light it. Have you used Royal Oak lump? I use it as my daily driver and find it is excellent. Occasionally you get a mishandled bag with a lot of smalls, but it's generally a good mix. I frequently mix it with KJ (my favorite) to make the KJ easier to light and to save money. It's a fair value, even if they've recently reduced the size of the large bags [emoji1361]

I can and have bought royal oak when it goes on sale. I tend to stock up when there is a deal. Royal oak is ok but I have found some weird stuff in the bags. Oh well you live and learn. 

I can and have bought royal oak when it goes on sale. I tend to stock up when there is a deal. Royal oak is ok but I have found some weird stuff in the bags. Oh well you live and learn.

In my personal experiance, I had better results with the bags of frontier than the ~20 bags of RO. The 34 lbs bags of Fronteir from BJs has a mix of dense huge peices. Some here as big as KJ and Fogo.

Try finding a KJ Costco Road Show near you and stock up.  You can pick up 2 x 20lb bags for $30.  The 35lb Bags from BJs usually run $20 and sometimes even on sale for $16.  There are some decent sized pieces in those.  A lot of Home Depots cary RO, but they have gotten more expensive for smaller bags these days, 15lbs for $13.  Some Walmarts in my area have carried the 8.8lb bags of RO for about $7.

There's 500lbs of KJ, RO and Frontier charcoal sitting in my garage now so stock up when it's on sale!

Try finding a KJ Costco Road Show near you and stock up. You can pick up 2 x 20lb bags for $30. The 35lb Bags from BJs usually run $20 and sometimes even on sale for $16. There are some decent sized pieces in those. A lot of Home Depots cary RO, but they have gotten more expensive for smaller bags these days, 15lbs for $13. Some Walmarts in my area have carried the 8.8lb bags of RO for about $7.

There's 500lbs of KJ, RO and Frontier charcoal sitting in my garage now so stock up when it's on sale!

If they ever had lump at $7 bucks in Canada, you'd probably see a lot of us getting arrested on CNN after the Great Canadian Lump Riots.

So here's an update on this post. I have to say the frontier lump has grown on me a bit. As I went thru the bag there were enough bigger pieces to put at the bottom of each burn. The coals have burned well even when being reused. I have had no problems with high heat cooking. They have not given any kind of bad taste or smell and I haven't found anything weird in the bags. Overall unless I find a better source this will probably be my go to lump.

I find Frontier produces a bit more ash than KJ or RO.  If you can find RO at a good price, try some.  Lights faster than Frontier and produces less ash.

I've tried RO and like it but around here even on sale costs a dollar or more per pound. The frontier lump cost me 16 for 34 pounds on sale at bjs. Even full price was only 20 for 34 pounds.