Sign in to follow this  
eon

is Black Velvet a suitable whiskey+coke spirit?

I'm curious if anyone tried this whiskey with a coke or other mixer.  I usually use Crown Royal or Jack Daniels for "Jack n Cokes" but tempted to try out a bottle of Black Velvet as a cheaper alternative.  As a point of reference I tried Canadian Mist before and thought it didnt go well at all with coke. 

I have tried this whiskey with coke before and was not a fan. A great whiskey to mix with coke (and also very affordable) is Wisers "DeLuxe" or "Special Blend". Both are good.

My recollection, from my college drinking days, was BV and Coke was a bad combo. 

Give me plain ole Jack and Coke, or Gentleman Jack / Single Barrel Jack on ice or chilled.

There is almost always a bottle of Jack in my fridge.

Any whiskey that requires coke or some other mixer to make it drinkable should be reserved for bad company or the inlaws. I learned real young that adding coke to whiskey didn't hide the fact the whiskey was crap. It was worth paying a little more to get a hood bottle that could be drank neat or with a little ice. I personally find rye a bit too sweet and prefer a good bourbon or single malt scotch.

I recently tested a bottle of Evan Williams and found it to be just as good as Jack mixed with coke and my favorite combo... cream soda.  I understand to truly appreciate whisky it should be sipped straight or on the rocks but I'm still trying to acquire the taste before I can really enjoy that.