Canada - New Pit Boss, heat deflector

Qwerty7183

I've had the same problem in the UK.

As a temporary option, I am using a smaller heat defelctor on the bottom grate of the Pit Boss. I've also got a paella pan on order, whilst I'm waiting for a bracket it be fabricated to hold some kiln shelves to act as a deflector.

The paella pan does the job very well. I put a quarry tile in the bottom and a drip tray on top. Not much money spent RESULT !

What are you using for a drip tray Paul? My paella pan arrived yesterday for a quick fix, and it works well, but despite it being fairly deep, there's not much space between the pan and lower grate for a drip pan.

Or do you have the drip pan on the lower grate and food on the top?

I've had the same problem in the UK.

As a temporary option, I am using a smaller heat defelctor on the bottom grate of the Pit Boss. I've also got a paella pan on order, whilst I'm waiting for a bracket it be fabricated to hold some kiln shelves to act as a deflector.

The paella pan does the job very well. I put a quarry tile in the bottom and a drip tray on top. Not much money spent RESULT !

What are you using for a drip tray Paul? My paella pan arrived yesterday for a quick fix, and it works well, but despite it being fairly deep, there's not much space between the pan and lower grate for a drip pan.

Or do you have the drip pan on the lower grate and food on the top? Going to put a quarry tile in the paella pan and a foil container on the tile. Did a grill again on Monday , the bags of charcoal from Costco only last for about 2 hours. Next time I will add a few big lumps to the bottom and put the bag on top. Need it to last 3-4 hours. It`s all a learning curve !.

Will be unable to use for the next 3-4 weeks as major garden work taking place starting Thursday. Regards Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Great bracket! I plan on doing the same but wonder if I should go with stainless instead of regular angled iron. Not sure how long that regular iron will last exposed to that heat and being outdoors all the time. Much more costly, however. Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to use a good Paella Pan is a heat deflector for my PB. Not sure about the thermal properties vs ceramic but regardless it will block infrared heat and should force heat to rise along the sides, creating the convection effect.

post-11743-0-39197400-1467802032_thumb.j

post-11743-0-69555500-1467802058_thumb.j

Decided to use a good Paella Pan is a heat deflector for my PB. Not sure about the thermal properties vs ceramic but regardless it will block infrared heat and should force heat to rise along the sides, creating the convection effect.

Exactly the same one I used to good effect. I used a terracotta tile on the pan to put a drip tray on, to stop the drippings burning.

Hi mate 

Thank you for posting Paella Pan is a heat deflector pics, I am based in Australia I bought PB 24" recently, would interested to know how was the result using pan heat deflector ? 

I am also very keen to buy carbon steel paella pan to use as a deflector, just wondering if I am cooking on for 6-9 hours on high temperature 500 - 600 will this pan melt ? or change its shape ? 

Hi mate

Thank you for posting Paella Pan is a heat deflector pics, I am based in Australia I bought PB 24" recently, would interested to know how was the result using pan heat deflector ?

I am also very keen to buy carbon steel paella pan to use as a deflector, just wondering if I am cooking on for 6-9 hours on high temperature 500 - 600 will this pan melt ? or change its shape ?

What are you cooking at that temperature, for that long?

Hi mate 

Thank you for posting Paella Pan is a heat deflector pics, I am based in Australia I bought PB 24" recently, would interested to know how was the result using pan heat deflector ? 

I am also very keen to buy carbon steel paella pan to use as a deflector, just wondering if I am cooking on for 6-9 hours on high temperature 500 - 600 will this pan melt ? or change its shape ? 

Don't know about 500 - 600 degrees, but paella pans are traditionally used over an open fire.

Hi mate 

Like others have said, not sure what you are cooking that would take that long at that temperature?!?

That being said, I have not tried an indirect cook with it yet - plan on doing my first low and slow tomorrow - 2 racks of pork side ribs with pecan smoke... That being said, I don`t have a reference to compare to for a conventional ceramic plate setter - never used one before...

Hi mate 

That is how I like to cook my Brontosaurus ribs.....