Looftlighter vs propane torch vs heat gun vs ???

Trying to find the easiest and quickest way to light my charcoal. Extra points if I can use the device to warm my house's chimney in the winter to get the draft going up! (I'm currently lighting the kamado with a hand held Creme brûlée torch - cause I have one! But it seems to take a while to get it going- I usually end up using a Webber chimney starter just to get things moving a little faster. Please advise.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's some pics for those whom may get their knickers in a tight knot over the Looflighter. These are pics of my older Looflighter from 2010. 6 years, 6 Canadian winters, 2 drops on the pavement, a

I've also used cotton balls soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol.  DO NOT use regular rubbing alcohol.  Get the 91% isopropyl and use about 3 cotton balls per spot you want to light.   I've also used coo

As others have said mapp tourch

Posted Images

Been using a MAPP torch for the past couple of years.  Recently went back to Weber starter cubes.  I really like the way each one burns for about 8-10 minutes.  The fire(s) is very well established within 10 mins or so... and IMO, gives me a better and more consistent bed of burning lump than my MAPP torch did.

I've also used cotton balls soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol.  DO NOT use regular rubbing alcohol.  Get the 91% isopropyl and use about 3 cotton balls per spot you want to light.

I've also used cooking oil soaked paper towels to great success.  

I think there are more ways to get a fire going than have been discussed here.  Back in the day when I had hair, and the hair I had wasn't gray, I used flint and steel.  Seriously.

I've also used cotton balls soaked in 91% isopropyl alcohol.  DO NOT use regular rubbing alcohol.  Get the 91% isopropyl and use about 3 cotton balls per spot you want to light.

I think there are more ways to get a fire going than have been discussed here.  Back in the day when I had hair, and the hair I had wasn't gray, I used flint and steel.  Seriously.

Try a handful of potato or corn chips.

Try a handful of potato or corn chips.

@John421 - now that's a new one on me! I'm not sure how I feel about wasting potato chips or corn chips when there are some many other ways to start a fire. Down here in these here parts, chips are a sacred thing! ;)

Thanks for all the replies. Will a heat gun blow air enough to heat my chimney to get the air flowing up? I know the looflighter and similar looking devices on Amazon claim to do this- but the heat gun is cheaper and seems to have more fans on this website (compared to the looftlighter).

Thanks again.